Thread: books books books

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I only finished the first one. Hard to find time to read these days. I did watch the show and I’m sure I got spoiled for several later events given they are compacting it, but it hasn’t bothered me. I find the characterization of the non Rand characters in the show is much better than the first book.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I can see that. Those characters develop over time, but for the show it makes sense to have them be more at the begining. Mat in particular doesn't have much in the first few books, but by book four becomes my favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Gashtacular View Post
    I've been reading more and more lately, due to a great bookshop opening near my house and the dude there being just really into books - contagious.

The Dangers of Smoking in Bed, by Mariana Enriquez
    A collection of horror short stories. As with all collections, there are weak ones and strong ones. The weak ones aren't bad and the strong ones are excellent. There are some genuine scares here, and I would say not for the faint of heart. Part of my effort to read more female authors, and a strong entry at that. I'll be honest, I bought this because the cover was cool - but it was a wise choice.

Kitchen, by Banana Yoshimoto.
    My first Banana. It was fine. There's a theme in Japanese literature where not a whole lot of stuff happens but it is still written beautifully and you can't put it down, this is a good example. Ultimately for me it was an alright romantic novel, nothing wrong with it - I just don't know that I would read it again. However, there is (refreshingly for a book from the 80s) a strong trans character that isn't just played for laughs or treated cruelly.

One Hundred Years of Solitude, by Gabriel García Márquez
    Which I kept seeing mentioned on reddit as being one of the best books ever. I was worried because reddit is full of really stupid people and weird fandom types, but it turned out to be a very good book. I found it a bit of a slog in the middle stretches, but perseverance was well worth it. A great book about solitude, ambition, time, repetition and a bunch of other stuff.

Haunting of Hill House, by Shirley Jackson
    My first Jackson, and it's about time. I was actually recommended "We Have Always Lived in the Castle" but it wasn't in the shop so I ordered it on Aliexpress. This tool helped to get it at a good price. I'm only a couple chapters in, so watch this space. I'm already seeing a lot of the tension I'm told Jackson is known for, and I'm also seeing some stuff that I think have become tropes in horror lit and movies. So far I haven't been able to put it down!
    100 Years in Solitude is one of the best books I have ever read in my whole life. Incredible plot! Umberto Eco is also incredible! Highly recommend all his books
    Last edited by Badr Boodai; 01-29-2022 at 06:26 PM.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I just read Ulysses and although I don't regret doing it, it was the most difficult thing I ever read. A genius piece of work, but not at all fun to read!

I am now finishing up the Expanse series since the last book just came out.
    Last edited by Del Murder; 01-13-2022 at 12:18 AM.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I just finished the third Mistborn book, ending the Era 1. I enjoyed it. Started reading this popular one "From Blood and Ash" by Jennifer L. Armentrout. It's not very good. Very info dumpy but I'm already half way through so meh, guess I'll finish it.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I thought the Mistborn trilogy was fantastic but the third book was the weakest. Always difficult to end something that becomes so grand, but I hoped for something different. What did you think?

Finally read the short story in the FF7R World Preview book. It's pretty interesting stuff, to say the least.

(SPOILER)I'm not a fan of how the shinra trooper main character - and the plot in general - was written out of the overarching story, I was hoping it would tie into the next part of the remake but I guess not. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by Badr Boodai View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Gashtacular View Post
    I've been reading more and more lately, due to a great bookshop opening near my house and the dude there being just really into books - contagious. The Dangers of Smoking in Bed, by Mariana Enriquez A collection of horror short stories. As with all collections, there are weak ones and strong ones. The weak ones aren't bad and the strong ones are excellent. There are some genuine scares here, and I would say not for the faint of heart. Part of my effort to read more female authors, and a strong entry at that. I'll be honest, I bought this because the cover was cool - but it was a wise choice. Kitchen, by Banana Yoshimoto. My first Banana. It was fine. There's a theme in Japanese literature where not a whole lot of stuff happens but it is still written beautifully and you can't put it down, this is a good example. Ultimately for me it was an alright romantic novel, nothing wrong with it - I just don't know that I would read it again. However, there is (refreshingly for a book from the 80s) a strong trans character that isn't just played for laughs or treated cruelly. One Hundred Years of Solitude, by Gabriel García Márquez Which I kept seeing mentioned on reddit as being one of the best books ever. I was worried because reddit is full of really stupid people and weird fandom types, but it turned out to be a very good book. I found it a bit of a slog in the middle stretches, but perseverance was well worth it. A great book about solitude, ambition, time, repetition and a bunch of other stuff. Haunting of Hill House, by Shirley Jackson My first Jackson, and it's about time. I was actually recommended "We Have Always Lived in the Castle" but it wasn't in the shop so I ordered it on Aliexpress. This tool helped to get it at a good price. I'm only a couple chapters in, so watch this space. I'm already seeing a lot of the tension I'm told Jackson is known for, and I'm also seeing some stuff that I think have become tropes in horror lit and movies. So far I haven't been able to put it down!
    100 Years in Solitude is one of the best books I have ever read in my whole life. Incredible plot! Umberto Eco is also incredible! Highly recommend all his books
    why did this mf edit my quote to include an ad lmao. anyway, i have exhausted the english translations of cesar aira books and now i am at a loss.