Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: books books books

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Default books books books

what're you reading?

i recently finished the broken earth trilogy by nk jemisin and it was great. def read the fifth season if you can.

now going through the inconvenient indian by thomas king

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Finishing The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov. I highly recommend it. It’s a clsssic around here and honestly it’s a must-read for all creatives out there. Gonna read Tehanu by Ursula LeGuinn next since I’ve wanted so long to get back into Earthsea!

Articles
    Blog Entries

i have the master + marg waiting for me in my list... sooon i will get to it

FFXIV Character

Cattleya Paphia (Sargatanas)

I haven't really been reading lately but the most recent things I was reading were the Shadow & Bone trilogy by Leigh Bardugo, and Skyward by Brandon Sanderson.

I dunno when I'll get back to them, as my reading moods kind of come and go in largely uninterrupted binge sessions, but I do know that in November I'll be blowing through Rhythm of War, also by Brandon Sanderson.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Novi Glitzko (Sargatanas)

Currently reading an Autobiography by Eamon Dunphy - an Irish ex footballer turned pundit.

I finished 'The Tattooist of Auschwitz' some months ago and thought it was a fascinating book. I booked a ticket to attend a talk with the author about it and her upcoming book, but then Covid hit. Would definitely recommend.

Str8 Pimpin'

Reading a YA novel called Percy Jackson and I'm on the 2nd book.

Pretty into YA novels but I read a lot of different types of books.
    "The Real Folk Blues" by Seatbelts ft. Mai Yamane

I read the Broken Earth trilogy and it was fine but I was just a little disappointed in it for reasons I could not say. I have too many book recommendations to even list, but ultimately the best thing I have read in the past decade is the Three Body Problem and its two sequels.

Right now I am trying to read The Calculating Stars but it has it me right at the downswing in my reading cycle where I am going through the inevitable stretch where I instantly lose interest in whatever I'm reading no matter what it is.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

A textbook for lesson planning.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spuuky View Post
    I read the Broken Earth trilogy and it was fine but I was just a little disappointed in it for reasons I could not say. I have too many book recommendations to even list, but ultimately the best thing I have read in the past decade is the Three Body Problem and its two sequels.
    haha, that's the reverse for me! i LOVED the first book of the three body problem, and had a profound disappointment in the next two books outside of the cool sci-fi stuff. the cultural stuff and preachyness got too much for me. i finished and enjoyed most of the contents, but the first book was the best one for me. though, i wonder if it's because of translation; i went through them in polish. and to be fair, the first book of the broken earth was the best for me too. the next two had a huge shift in mood and speed. it's really hard to follow up an amazing first book in sci-fi/fantasy in general i think.

I could not say about the Polish; the book has very "Chinese" prose even in English, in the English translations, and it's pretty interesting.

You should read A Memory Called Empire.

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I've slowly been making my way through the new Twilight book.

1foto9.jpg

One book I have been reading again is June 6th 1944, The Voices of D-Day​ by Gerald Astor

Contributions
    • Contributions to former EoFF Map

In between some more heavier things I've been enjoying:

Peter Grant series by Ben Aaronovitch.
    Key words: London, Urban Fantasy, Mystery, Paranormal, Magic and Mythology, Wizardry, Detective
    Book #1/10: Rivers of London

The Magicians trilogy by Lev Grossman
    Key Words: Magic, Urban Fantasy, Adventure, Aging, Adulting, Excess, Anticlimax
    Book #1/3: The Magicians

Boldly go.

Steve Steve Steve Steve Iceglow's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chemical View Post
    In between some more heavier things I've been enjoying:

Peter Grant series by Ben Aaronovitch.
    Key words: London, Urban Fantasy, Mystery, Paranormal, Magic and Mythology, Wizardry, Detective
    Book #1/10: Rivers of London
    The Rivers of London series (or the Peter Grant series as they are now referred to as) are great. However, the number of comic books and graphic novels that tie in to the main story is too high atm. I get that they sell but when I'm already reading a 6 or 7 book series I don't want to have to buy 15 or 16 graphic novels at the same price of the full books and whilst they're meant to "not negatively impact" the story for those who read the books there's too many references within the main books to these events to not negatively impact on the enjoyment for those of us who haven't read them.

I have Kindle Unlimited so tend to read a lot from there. Here are some of my highlights:

The Kings Watch series by Mark Hayden - starting with the 13th witch it's a similar set up to Rivers Of London series in that it is a modern day setting involving magic and a government run "policing" program hidden from outsiders, except the police are military and there's a fair bit more adult perspective.

The Omega Force Series - Joshua Dazelle (also the Scout Fleet series which ties in to the same universe) A military writer, Joshua's Omega Force series will never win a pullitzer prize but if you like a good action packed book to kill time with this is good fun.

The Black Fleet Series - Joshua Dazelle, separate from the above series takes place in a different universe setting. This is more standard military writing in a sci-fi setting. The first trilogy is brilliant, the second is ok. The third I'm just starting out on but I don't know if it's going to hold the same pull. I prefer Omega Force to this but once I start a series it's hard not to read all of them.

I listened to the audio book of the Artemis story which has come out from the author of The Martian. Whilst I loved The Martian I found Artemis to be boring.

Articles
    Blog Entries

finished Binti by Nnedi Okorafor
    huge shout out to old school sci-fi short stories i thought
    it was pretty good, looking forward to the sequels
    altho felt very rushed but i guess that's because of the size of it (it's very small)