Thread: Metal Gear Thread 2020

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Red Exclamation Mark Metal Gear Thread 2020

Been replaying the series a bit lately and figured I would make a thread so we can discuss this wacky series that will never be again.

I've personally been going through MGS3 and learning how rusty I am. Keep slitting them throats when I meant to interrogate or throw them. I did have fun poisoning the Fear and the actually punching him out when his dumb ass came down to the ground to scavenge for more food.

So some questions:
    Favorite Metal Gear entry?
    Favorite Character?
    Favorite Boss fight?
    Favorite wacky hijink?
    Best Ending theme?

FFXIV Character

Cattleya Paphia (Sargatanas)

Favorite Metal Gear game: MGS2
    Favorite character: Probably Ocelot, although really I don't think the characters are one of MGS' strengths
    Favorite boss fight: Final boss of MGS4
    Favorite wacky hijink: Tough one, although they're generally neat none really stand out to me as "this one was so amazing". It's probably either the Fulton extraction or the anime cardboards in MGS5.
    Best ending theme: MGS1, The Best is Yet to Come

Favorite Metal Gear entry? MGS3 Snake Eater
    Favorite Character? Cyborg Ninja/Gray Fox
    Favorite Boss fight? Gray Fox fight
    Favorite wacky hijink? Can't think of one
    Best Ending theme? MGS3 Ending
    "The Real Folk Blues" by Seatbelts ft. Mai Yamane

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

Favorite Metal Gear entry? MGS 3
    Favorite Character? That's tough. Vulvan Raven, Olga Gurlukovich, ParaMedic
    Favorite Boss fight? The End
    Favorite wacky hijink? You can get Hal to chastise Snake for hiding in the lockers and doing.....something while staring at the posters of models in MGS2. Ridiculous.
    Best Ending theme? MGS 3 (She will go down in official history as a war criminal. No one will understand her. That was her final mission.)

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    I've personally been going through MGS3 and learning how rusty I am. Keep slitting them throats when I meant to interrogate or throw them. I did have fun poisoning the Fear and the actually punching him out when his dumb ass came down to the ground to scavenge for more food.
    I can't even remember how to fight the Fear normally because of how I used to speedrun the game.

As soon as the fight starts, take your fake death pill. The Fear comes down and is like oh huh guess my poison killed him. He then turns his back, you revive yourself, throw a stun grenade at the floor and then unleash on him with your AK. Instant stun kill. The fact that something like this is possible is just one more reason why I love MGS3 and it's my favourite.

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Favorite Metal Gear entry? MGS1
    Favorite Character? SOLID SNAKE
    Favorite Boss fight? MGS4 mecha battle
    Favorite wacky hijink? pixel ninja suit in mgsv
    Best Ending theme? mgs1 (the best is yet to come)

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    I can't even remember how to fight the Fear normally because of how I used to speedrun the game.

As soon as the fight starts, take your fake death pill. The Fear comes down and is like oh huh guess my poison killed him. He then turns his back, you revive yourself, throw a stun grenade at the floor and then unleash on him with your AK. Instant stun kill. The fact that something like this is possible is just one more reason why I love MGS3 and it's my favourite.
    I don't think anyone knows to be honest. Most people just throw on Infra-red goggles and snipe his ass. I like using poisoned food against him personally.

I just had fun CQC Volgin like the overgrown dolt he is. I'm still impressed by the fact that while bosses do have means of escaping your grasp, you can CQC any boss you can physically reach with your hands. I also laughed during the Sorrow fight and apologized to all the dead soldiers with slit throats about being rusty with my CQC interrogation methods. Those numbers should have been lower but I gave up super early in this game with trying to do a perfect stealth run. I had no problem gunning down people when I slipped up and started an alert. I'm currently facing off with the Shagahod and debating whether I should play MGS4 again, which I have some reservations against, or whether I should finally do a second playthrough of Peace Walker because it's been like forever since I last played it.

More questions:
    Least Favorite Metal Gear game?
    Least favorite Boss battle?
    Best Codec buddy?
    Favorite weapon that isn't the tranq gun?
    Raiden: Yay or Nay?

More questions:
    Least Favorite Metal Gear game? I haven't played 5, but so far it's 4.

Least favorite Boss battle? The MGS4 battles. The BnB theme and their PTSD is fine in concept, but the way they were so overtly sexualized throughout all the fights overshadowed their trauma and any other aspect of their character. I'm fine with sexy ladies in the right context, but it made the whole thing feel cheap and tawdry to me, not clever juxtaposition. Sniper Wolf, cool. BnBs? Lame.

Best Codec buddy? That's another tough one. I like ParaMedic, Hal, Mei Ling, Sigint.

Favorite weapon that isn't the tranq gun? Probably the good ol' M37 shotgun.

Raiden: Yay or Nay? Yeah, he's fine. I liked the bait and switch they did with him. I think his story is interesting. Plus his little skin suit shows off his pretty boy ass, which maybe balances out some of the rest of the stuff I talked about for people who like that sort of eye candy. Y'know, when he's not just running around naked.

I forgot another wacky hi-jink, which also serves to highlight the time it was made. MGS2's skateboarding mini game on big shell. Skating games were still huge back then.

My favorite is 3. It's got the perfect mix of great gameplay and absurd story.

Fav character is probably Snake or Otacon.

Fav boss fight is Psycho Mantis or maybe The End. Boss is pretty great too.

Fav wacky hijinx - well not sure what counts but I really liked killing Ocelot in MGS3 and getting a game over for creating a time paradox.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Finished MGS3, still my all-time-fave. Shame the HD collections doesn't seem to have the Ape Escape parody game with it, but then again licensing probably made it a no-go.

Started MGS4, and I forgot how much of a serious change up the controls were. I keep trying to use my gun like in MGS3 and got myself killed. I also forgot how much I hated the Octocamo since it's usefulness is way more limited in this game than it seems. I think that's one of the issues I had with this game is how much a lot of the mechanics brought over from MGS3 are watered down to the point of being situational at best. We'll see how far I get before I just quit.

Finished MGS3, still my all-time-fave. Shame the HD collections doesn't seem to have the Ape Escape parody game with it, but then again licensing probably made it a no-go.

Started MGS4, and I forgot how much of a serious change up the controls were. I keep trying to use my gun like in MGS3 and got myself killed........We'll see how far I get before I just quit.
    It's been years, but, uh, it definitely made an impression. I was pretty let down in a lot of ways. It seemed to replace strong narrative and fun gameplay with all the surface level stuff that made MGS stand out. The new characters were mostly bad, the story was beyond convoluted, and the humor and fanservice mostly fell flat. The loading screen commercials seemed to have a more easy to follow narrative.

Past that, the game's story is just sad. Since the story telling wasn't great to me, that sadness wasn't poignant or engaging. It was just bleh. Kojima just seemed exhausted with the universe, and it seemed to come out with an exhausted, depressed, apathetic main character that just wants to die. Also let's try to tie in every last character from the previous stories because that's what the fans want, we can't forget the eye candy. It just seems like the game is tired of itself and resentful that it had to exist. Maybe that's just me. I've heard 5 is much better.
    Last edited by sharkythesharkdogg; 09-06-2020 at 01:30 PM. Reason: I just realized I wrote Hirojima instead of Kojima. xD Another cluster of brain cells just died.