Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will there be a PS5 version?

Default Will there be a PS5 version?

With them probably launching Xbox and PC versions some time next year, I'm wondering if they'll just do that as part of a next-gen version of the game. I was kinda skeptical they'd bother with the Xbox One given that it probably has the smallest JRPG audience, and is also the least powerful console (meaning necessary optimization and/or downgrade), so I'm thinking they just skip it and do PC and SeriesX versions, which means they could do a PS5 version at the same time?

I'd really appreciate the same game in 60fps and some of the bad texturing fixed from the slums areas.

Thoughts?

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I feel it's a given that SE will double dip and release FFVIIR Episode 1 on PS5. I feel the bigger concern would be whether the Remake will be finished before everyone forgets the PS4? Would suck to start the series and then realize you're going to have to shelve an extra $500+ dollars for a new console just to play Episode 3 and beyond. Of anything, this will give the PC players more gloating power unless Sony works a deal to make sure the PC release for later episodes is postponed until a much later date.

Oh I've been assuming that goes without saying. Even if you assume they're super quick with each new installment and they take around 2 years each, that means Part 2 will come out nearly 1.5 years into the PS5, and Part 3 comes out 3.5 years into PS5.

So Part 2 might still be in that cross-gen window where they still release it on PS4, but part 3 almost definitely won't be. I think there was only 1 major game that came out on the PS3 that long after the PS4 launched, and that was Persona 5, which was mostly because it was designed as a PS3 game for a Japanese audience that largely hadn't bothered buying home consoles anymore.

Obviously that's all best case scenario. Worst case scenario I think each new game takes 3 years, so none of them are on PS4, and it takes 4 parts total, meaning it won't even finish on the PS5, Lol.

Almost definitely. I'm pretty sure nearly every PS4 game of moderate or greater success that was released in the past year or so will have a PS5 version (along with plenty of earlier games probably skewing a bit higher on the popularity scale), so that makes it a near certainty. I wouldn't expect much in the way of new stuff though.

I would not call 3 years a "worst case scenario." Honestly, I tempted to call it a best case scenario as I find two year gaps highly unrealistic. The only series I see with those kinds of gaps these days are ones with significantly less substance than FF games. Worst case scenario to my mind is that they never finish at all, but I also see plausibly close to worst case scenarios in which we have gaps of five years or more. They might not even finish on the PS5.
    Last edited by Lord Golbez; 09-09-2020 at 06:26 AM.

Well given that the Xbox announcements have happened since I posted this, I'm now mostly looking forward to a Series X port, as I'll almost definitely be buying the Series S console. That's too good value to ignore! I just hope it doesn't do save copying between games, because I could end up jumping between Xbox and PS between games.

I'm definitely not expecting much new stuff! But 60fps seems like a fair expectation, given the leap in CPU and GPU of the next-gen consoles.

3 years I'd say is my average expectations for how long it'll take. Best case scenario is 2-2.5 years. Worst case scenario is 4 years+. That would be really bad if it took that long.
    Last edited by JJ Strife; 09-10-2020 at 08:28 PM.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

It seems unthinkable that SE will not cash in on an 'enhanced' FFVIIR on PS5. It would cost them little for a big return.

For future games, no doubt it will be on next gen consoles, maybe concurrent with PS4 if it comes as late as early 2022.

The transition from PS4 to PS5 will be an odd one as there is not a ton left to gain on new consoles.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

What do people think the odds are that your save will carry over between games? It could be basically impossible to play Part 1 on an Xbox, and then Part 2 on a PS5, unless you want to start with the kind of generic automated save they often use instead.

I don't necessarily think they will but I definitely think it's stupid if they don't. This isn't like some sequel taking place years later where you can at least partially justify loss of skill and not necessarily having all your equipment from a previous adventure. Presumably this is going to start up almost immediately after the end of the last one. Even considering that gameplay and story cannot always completely be reconciled, this is really going to stretch the bounds of suspension of disbelief if they start you off like the beginning of the first game (and it will frankly be extremely annoying to lose all sense of progress each time the break for a new game). If they don't use save data, they'd better at least start you off with a reasonable progression of stats, equipment, and materia load out as would be expected in the first game. One way they could deal with the materia from the first game often being mastered already would be to add some kind of materia enhancement feature that you use to improve your materia so it can continue to grow.

Yeah the materia thing is the main reason I think they might just ignore it all and start fresh. Like you really should have Firaga at this point in the game.

I don't understand why they didn't just deliberately limit all of that so it was vaguely in line with the original.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

They could easily handwave the starting over part. Simply say the Whispers or Sephiroth weakened their materia and levels to keep it competitive. Honestly, I don't really understand why they bothered giving you access to end game spells and some early mid tier summons.

Lol well if they followed the original game on summons, there would've been 0 in the first Remake game. So that's why they changed that!

First summon you get is Choco/Mog at the Chocobo Farm

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by JJ Strife View Post
    Lol well if they followed the original game on summons, there would've been 0 in the first Remake game. So that's why they changed that!

I get that, but I mean it was weird to drop Ramuh and Titan so we can have Leviathan and Bahamut. I mean we didn't really need them this soon.

Yeah my feeling was that they wanted to use the most common and identifiable summons for the first game.

That's another issue with saves though as most of the summons are optional. Like I finished the game on my first playthrough without getting Bahamut, or even being aware of him.

What would they do for the next game in a case like that? The summon you didn't get suddenly just becomes available?

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ Strife View Post

I get that, but I mean it was weird to drop Ramuh and Titan so we can have Leviathan and Bahamut. I mean we didn't really need them this soon.

I definitely agree with this. They were may e trying to save some lower to midlevel summons for later games while having some kind of ultimate summon for this game, hence bahamut, but I think it would have been better to treat Ramuh as something of an ultimate summon for the first part. They may have also been thinking of working with the fact that FF7 has three bahamuts and using one bahamut per part (if they do three parts) but that doesn't justify having leviathan too.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm still betting the game is going to go longer than three installments, not to mention I can see them adding another Bahamut or two. Honestly, I prefer the symbolism of having Titan be Part 1's Ultimate Summon over just hamfisting in Bahamut and Leviathan.

My guess for part 2 is that you'll likely not have full access to all of your summons for story reasons, and then you'll do a side quest with the materia researcher that will restore all of them to you once you leave Kalm. Major materia you didn't pick up from Part 1 will likely just be given to you at this point or can be purchased from him.