• Fulham

0 0%
  • West Brom

0 0%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: this is now a Euros thread

FFXIV Character

Cattleya Paphia (Sargatanas)

It'd be easy to blame the refs for that undeserved penalty but honestly Sterling had been fishing for one a while now, Denmark kind of deserves it for allowing him to get one at that point

(also I only watched the second half but judging by that, England was dominating Denmark anyway)
    Last edited by WarZidane; 07-07-2021 at 10:21 PM.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

It wasn't a penalty, but I can't really say Denmark deserved to win either. They were camped in their own half from the 60th minute onwards, playing for penalties and making lots of tactical fouls. When you do that, you invite the risk of decisions being made against you.

Would be devastated to go out to that if I was Danish though.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

oh god football might be coming home we'll never hear the end of this

Blog Entries

ERR LADS

If FIFA had any balls in how they chose to have referees enforce rules Sterling would have had several yellow cards for diving by the time of his decisive dive (of course, his behavior would be different if there were actual consequences for diving).

Quote Originally Posted by Spuuky View Post
    If FIFA had any balls in how they chose to have referees enforce rules Sterling would have had several yellow cards for diving by the time of his decisive dive (of course, his behavior would be different if there were actual consequences for diving).
    Whether it was a dive or the slightest of slight bits of contact, what about as well the stranger other point: there were somehow TWO balls on the pitch at that very moment and the ref didn’t notice it or blow the play dead. So much seems to be left to the whims of the ref either choosing or ignoring the rules especially in big games and yet, there are always these random things that happen too. Ah sports.

England ended up being the stronger, fitter side and credit to Southgate for managing the team very well. They were more fresh going into extra time and really played the game smartly when they got their fortunate lead.

It’s been a fun tournament in a lot of ways with unexpected results. Can Italy finish their redemption tour? Will England actually finish their own?

I thought Italy were the best side I saw all tournament but something strange is going on with this English side. They are playing in a very un-English way and that might just do the job.

2-1 England AET.

And for good measure:

3-2 Argentina AET.

Validation for Messi, endless posturing for England.

Take care all.

I don't really care about the two balls. It was not interfering with the play.

FFXIV Character

Cattleya Paphia (Sargatanas)

Order has been restored in the world.

The heck was that penalty, Rashford?

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

The best team of the tournament won. You can't say any fairer than that, though losing on penalties is always the most bitter pill regardless of the circumstances. But, this is what the song of it's coming home really means you know.

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

their possession was much higher, though it honestly didn't seem like it

yeah penalties in a final are bittersweet

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

when's the next big kickball

I really really REALLY didn't like the decision to bring on the penalty takers with no time left on the clock. They had barely had a kick in the game and now suddenly needed to go from ice cold to white hot into the biggest fire. Kane looked spent as they first made it to extra time and England's lack of a plan B behind him is what keeps hurting them. They instead have to keep him up front in there when they could have maybe done a full re-shuffle, bring in Sancho and Rashford early into extra time and go for it. It also would have had the added bonus of getting both of them into the match further. As a side note, Saka, I give all the credit in the world to for having the courage to step up to the spot in his first major tournament. His future remains really bright, especially if he leaves Arsenal

I've never understood it from any angle in sports. In basketball you always pick the player on the bench to shoot a free throw when given the chance, you always try to ice a kicker in American football, etc, etc. It's all about rhythm and timing and getting comfortable. Why would you intentionally do it to your own team?

Italy were the best team I watched this tournament, bar none. They played with a chip on their shoulder and togetherness that really brought them through the entire way, with players interchanging left and right and a collective sense versus relying so heavily on a few stars. Their defense was wonderful, enjoying every tackle like it were a goal and it's literally unfair that they went from one legendary Gigi Goalie to the next within 4 years.

What an end to a fun tournament and weekend in general that also finally saw Messi end his curse. And frankly, it was great that his TEAM won it for him in the final as that was always been the issue. His embrace with Neymar was great to see too.

33 days until the Prem is back!

Take care all.

Quote Originally Posted by krissy View Post
    when's the next big kickball
    The Gold Cup is ongoing right now! You know, the Euros of North and Central America! A very high profile prestigious event~!

So looks like Messi will end up staying in Barcelona for the rest of his 30's, or at the very least through the next season or two. What big transfers do you still see happening that could tip the balance in the various leagues?

Kane going to City? Haaland to Chelsea? Pogba to PSG? Lewandoski to Madrid?

I feel like we may hit a lull in deals for the next few weeks as the players in the tournaments go on holiday and the clubs just begin to gear up their pre-season but the carousel is always spinning!

Take care all.