Thread: ff16

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

It doesn’t matter how much of the trailer went into the final game in a conversation about first impressions. This isn’t something that can be changed through logic. This is about a visceral emotional reaction. XIII’s original trailer was gripping and while I don’t care about the game, if still had that unique identity which shined through in that trailer. Versus’ trailer was so hauntingly beautiful that it managed to make people wait for that project for all those years. The music alone just gave it so much personality and the themes of the final game still reflect it very well. FFXVI’s first trailer made me think I was watching a trailer for another Ubisoft game at first.

Of course the final product can be good - I’m not saying that it can’t. It’s just that this is the first time an initial announcement of an FF makes it feel generic. FF may have had its ups and downs, but it always stood out. Now it looks like SE is chasing all the latest trends in fantasy.

Well I don't see how your first impressions can be divorced from your general understanding of the series as a whole, and what trailers do and don't tend to convey in that series.

Like if you'd given me that exact same trailer but just changed the name of the game from Final Fantasy to something completely different, my reaction to it will be different, even though the content of the video is identical, because my imagination is going to start going in different directions in terms of the sort of game it will end up being.

I certainly agree that it's probably the most generic fantasy setting they've done for quite a while. But I just don't put much weight on the aesthetic of the setting really, because I think the quality of Final Fantasy games is almost completely independent of that.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Oh lordy Lordy... the doom-and-gloom in this thread.

One trailer in and “iT dOeSn’T fEeL lIkE fInAl FaNtAsY” “iT’s sOoOoOo uNoRiGiNal”

Watch this game now become the best Final Fantasy in twenty years.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

No one is saying the game is definitely going to be bad. It’s just a bit sad the trailer just does nothing for some of us. But okay, be dismissive.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm intrigued. Probably helped I dodged Witcher and Dragon Age the last two gens, so medieval fantasy hasn't quite gotten stale for me yet. The premise seems interesting, especially since I feel we largely witnessed the game's prologue at best. I like the FFTactics vibe, you can tell the team really loves those Matsuno collaborations from the FFXIV events.

I am not digging the combat though. Looks very DMC and I'm really tired of SE's attempts at Action-RPG combat. Looks like your character acquires summons that garner extra moves in his move-set, or more likely works like a style system similar to weapon changes in DMC. It's flashy but doesn't look like it has much substance to it. Not helped by the fact I watched the Demon's Souls remake trailer right after it, and that combat looks visceral in execution as opposed to the acrobatic pyrotechnics of this game. Why can't I just kill things in three hits anymore without having to be over-leveled? The lack of a party is concerning, but again, we've only watched the young version of the lead fight in the trailer, so there may be more to uncover gameplay-wise. I did notice in the first combat trailer, that there was a second soldier off to the side in the combat section, probably a friendly NPC fighter, but it may also be a signal of a party of some kind.

Overall, I'm mostly pleased by the fact I won't have to wait until the VIIIR is finished to get a new numbered installment. I at least have something to look forward to from SE, even if it's still a long ways off.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

One neat thing I think is worth pointing out is that SE have apparently learned something. Even though it’ll be a while until we get info and Yoshida has said this won’t be out for a while, we at least got presented with an actual game with in-game cutscenes and battles that don’t look pre-rendered. It looks like they announced a game at a much later time than just the initial concept stage. So kudos for them for keeping this under wraps for a reasonable time. Hope this bodes well for the future

Looks like the vanilla ice cream version of Final Fantasy. Very bland. Very done before. Looks like Square really wants to please the mid 30's-40's western straight male Reddit male sort of crowd. Wake me up when the characters look fun and creative again, and there's poc characters and female characters that are not NPC.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post

I am not digging the combat though. Looks very DMC and I'm really tired of SE's attempts at Action-RPG combat. Looks like your character acquires summons that garner extra moves in his move-set, or more likely works like a style system similar to weapon changes in DMC. It's flashy but doesn't look like it has much substance to it. Not helped by the fact I watched the Demon's Souls remake trailer right after it, and that combat looks visceral in execution as opposed to the acrobatic pyrotechnics of this game. Why can't I just kill things in three hits anymore without having to be over-leveled? The lack of a party is concerning,
    Yep, those were my initial thoughts too. More worried about that than anything to do with the setting.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I know the main battle designed is Ryota Suzuki who worked on DMC apparently. So yeah, I wouldn’t be surprised if this one turns out to be more of a character action game. Not saying that’s a bad thing since it could be cool and I’m more personally just concerned with the vibe and derivative qualities in general. But yeah, I think we can now safely say that Action FF is here to stay. Type-0, XV and VIIR could have been just a result of being Tabata/Nomura projects, with ARPGs being their forte, but now it’s pretty clear that this is the direction the series is definitely going. While I like turn-based systems as well, I don’t feel like FF generally needs it to be FF, but I am kinda bummed that the last semblance of turn-based combat in a mainline title turned out to be in the XIII trilogy

I think we haven't seen enough to have a clear opinion about the game, but I'm glad we're getting a medieval setting since it's been a while. I hope they haven't announced it too early as usual, but I doubt it hehe :P

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

Yeah personally I'm interested to see where it goes, and hearing that it's the bulk of the Heavensward team working on this has me with a tentative amount of hype.

This first trailer showed enough to pique interest without completely giving the game away and there's a lot of room for speculation on which way it could go.

Looking forward to learning more next year.

While I am happy that a new main Final Fantasy game is coming out, I am feeling disappointed that it is not coming to Xbox. Also don't tell me to get a PS5 since I am not interested in buying one.

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Mandolore Shepard View Post
    While I am happy that a new main Final Fantasy game is coming out, I am feeling disappointed that it is not coming to Xbox. Also don't tell me to get a PS5 since I am not interested in buying one.
    As I understand it PS5 has 6 months full exclusivity and 12 months console exclusivity. So it can come to PC after 6 months and Xbox after a year.

That might not be accurate because Sony are desperately trying to hush it all up to make it appear like it's a full exclusive, but I do think it'll end up on both PC and Xbox at some point

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    That might not be accurate because Sony are desperately trying to hush it all up to make it appear like it's a full exclusive, but I do think it'll end up on both PC and Xbox at some point
    They've apparently done this on 2 separate games now. I think Demon's Souls was the other? I don't understand. Did they make an error in press releases? Or are they lying about their own policy to try and maximize preorders? Either is pretty dumb.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I think that now even if we have to wait, it’s safe to assume this will come to PC, as the only mainline FFs still not on PC are I and II. Which is kinda weird in its own right