Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: ff16

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JJ Strife View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    That might not be accurate because Sony are desperately trying to hush it all up to make it appear like it's a full exclusive, but I do think it'll end up on both PC and Xbox at some point
    They've apparently done this on 2 separate games now. I think Demon's Souls was the other? I don't understand. Did they make an error in press releases? Or are they lying about their own policy to try and maximize preorders? Either is pretty dumb.
    there was an error with demon's souls actually

Sony retracts Demon's Souls remake trailer, says PC mention was 'human error' https://buff.ly/3ms9B27

but like you said, it might be a long term ploy which i wouldn't put it past the company

never been a fan of 'exclusivity' anyway

They've never used that as a strategy before though. So why now?

If they are just lying, it's obviously a strategy that only works a few times, before everyone just assumes that every Sony game is coming to PC a year later.

FFXIV Character

Kaladin Cho'Sinn (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by maybee View Post
    Looks like the vanilla ice cream version of Final Fantasy. Very bland. Very done before. Looks like Square really wants to please the mid 30's-40's western straight male Reddit male sort of crowd. Wake me up when the characters look fun and creative again, and there's poc characters and female characters that are not NPC.

As a mid 30’s-40’s western straight male Reddit male crowd type person, if they’re trying to target me (us) they’re way off. I want fun and creative characters, too. More Relms and Nanakis and Rydias and Beatrixes (Beatrices?) and Big Ogre Umaros and Freyas and...while I was typing this I was trying to think of poc in FF who aren’t overly stereotype-driven and I don’t know that there are any. In any case, I’m tired of the broody generic white male protagonist, too. Even nostalgia for earlier games that focused on those types doesn’t make me want to keep seeing that bland, uninspired (and un-inspiring) character over and over.

The people they think they’re marketing to don’t exist in the numbers or the way they think they do.

I forced myself through XIII and XV; I’ll force myself through this either way. I have at least a little hope with Yoshi-P producing, but I can’t drum up any hype over this showing. Multiple viewings of the trailer, and I can’t find a single thing to be excited about.
    Also, something about the logo makes me uneasy or worried, but I’m not sure why.

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

TEAM THREAD

https://twitter.com/Dreamboum/status...97794807226368

honestly any reference to vagrant story/fft makes me more optimistic lol
    now i'm kind of into it more than i was after that trailer

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Like with others, I didn't see anything in the trailer that made my jaw drop but it was just an initial trailer. I don't mind going back to the medieval setting as long as they create some beautiful set pieces. My biggest gripe with Witcher 3 was that most of the world was so gritty and dirty (until Blood and Wine came out). I did think the summons were beautiful in the trailer.

I'm excited they are continuing the franchise and passing along the reigns to different directors. I'm sure I'll get it at some point... maybe a year after release once they patch it up and give us all the DLC story content for free.

I'm just hoping for some female and non-human playable characters!

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

I didn't read this thread but my one thought is: what if they did NOT make every major character in every modern FF game a vaguely edgy, mostly generic dudebro type

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

The more I read about the people responsible, the more I’m warming up to this game. Like for all intents and purposes, this could be the FF I’d wanted, being a proper successor to XII, FFT, Vagrant Story, etc. Only thing that clashes with that for me is the battle system though.

But yeah, the trailer itself was still generic and uninspiring so the future ones better get their act together!

Articles

FFXIV Character

Novi Glitzko (Sargatanas)

I'm with some of you in here with real concerns about the gameplay. It seems like all we get from companies is action-RPG nowadays in this genre. I would've hoped SE would've been innovative with time-based instead of a DMC/Witcher spin off as Wolf mentioned. I feel like it's lost it's identity of what made it unique. Like we'll set this in The Continent and throw some chocobo's in there and slap a Final Fantasy name on it. The trailer gameplay mechanics I find a bit overwhelming and all over the place. The flashy stuff doesn't do it for me (I found the gameplay in KH3 almost unbearable), and there's a different type of strategising that you'd miss from Turn-based that simply isn't there with what's on offer.

Aside from that, the trailer is decent. I did think it was an expansion to FF14 at times and some work needs to be done to the voice acting to make it so it's not so wooden, but it was good nonetheless. The next trailer will tell a lot more obviously.

Str8 Pimpin'

I'm annoyed that they said the gameplay will basically be like FFXV. I'm not saying the story of XV is necessarily all that great, but I am saying the reason I stopped was that I was bored by the gameplay.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

If they use the FFVIIR system or some upgrade of it, I'd be pretty happy. SE does not have too many varieties of how they handle Action RPGs. Is there really that many ways in general to do it? You hit attack button, and occasionally use an ability or spell. Tried and true!

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    If they use the FFVIIR system or some upgrade of it, I'd be pretty happy. SE does not have too many varieties of how they handle Action RPGs. Is there really that many ways in general to do it? You hit attack button, and occasionally use an ability or spell. Tried and true!
    Or at least, tried.

Definitely. The FF7R system is way better than FF15, but I read something where they were saying they were basically using some form of 15's gameplay.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

My biggest beef so far with the combat is how underwhelming magic looks outside of the "summon arms" used in combos, which just feels a bit lazy to me if we wish to describe it as magic. Those fire spells just looked generic and lacked any kind of impact. You're summoning a goddamn plasma ball, it should look like it's doing more than jabbing the monster with a possible sun burn.

The good thing about having a former DMC battle designer working on the combat is that it will likely control very nicely from out of the gate, unlike XV's combat that required some patching to fix. My issue is that knowing SE will want to market this to the every person of gamers, the combat will lack the challenge necessary to make full use of it. I fear it may turn out to be a KHII issue where yeah, the combat has a ton of variety and is incredibly deep, but required the game to release a super hard mode to make people even aware of it because the battle system was too overpowered for normal difficulty modes.