Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by krissy View Post
    looks like final fantasy: game of witchers

honestly not sure why

https://youtu.be/2tBnBAkHv9M

Yeah, the main problem I have is just that it looks like... so many other things

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Good, we need more British accents in medieval settings. As others have said, it's been done before, but it's not really been done by Final Fantasy for a long, long time. Only really FFT comes close, so you know what? I'll give it a chance. I'd like to see what they do with that kind of setting.

What does get me a little bit disappointed is that the characters look like medieval FFXIV or XV. There's nothing really new there with the art style. It also looks rather po-faced and serious.

It also seems to be somewhat far along in development based on the variety of areas and combats seen. I wonder if it's a launch day release. Surely not...?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Nah, Yoshi P has stated that it's still going to be a while.

But yeah, idk, I'm just sad that after two viewings of this trailer it just does nothing to me. It looks like the dynamic between the dude with Phoenix and the kid with Ifrit might be the central conflict and that could be interesting, but other than that, I'm just not feeling it.

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Already changed my set.

I'm ready.

Man I'm so excited. Certainly not the most original style they've ever done. It does look very much like The Witcher or Dragon Age. But I trust that they'll make it interesting.

I like that it's so very different from the style of FF7, given that the 2 will be overlapping one another.

It feels kinda like Tactics mixed with FFXV, if I were to describe the vibe I was getting (Tactics for the visual and setting, FFXV for the general tone and mood of the characters and narrative. Also XV gameplay.)

Also, I'm just glad there's a game without Nomura Lol. You could instantly tell because the characters look like normal humans.
    Last edited by JJ Strife; 09-16-2020 at 11:57 PM.

With every single player main FF game in the series since X, there are always a group of fans that complained that the latest installment doesn't feel like Final Fantasy. I was never one of them. But I have finally become that person this time around. It's difficult to pin point what makes Final Fantasy feel like Final Fantasy. Many will point out that FF has experimented with many different styles and settings over the years. But I will say this: this looks generic. It looks like a Korean MMORPG and the character design do not have the originality that we are accustomed to getting from a Final Fantasy game. Many are cheering the return to a medieval setting -- but for me it lacks the whimsy of other FF titles that have a medieval setting. It feels too much like other medieval fantasy games that have been released in recent years.

After many years of being a fan (and I have been a fan since the first game on NES), I am finally thoroughly disappointed.
    Lamia's Tiara- Headgear in FFIX
    Lamia's Flute- Weapon for Eiko in FFIX
    Lamia in FFV- a enemy
    appearance: a lady with long brown hair, wearing a tiara...half woman and half snake.
    Lamia in FF3j- A Harp
    Lamia in FFL2- An enemy
    FF2j Queen Lamia, at one point she even gets Frionel in a bedroom with her and jumps on the bed and says "take me!".. before she turns into her snakey self. She serves as a mini boss in this game (as Queen Lamia).. and after you fight her as a mini boss, regular lamia's become random foes and later on in the game, Queen Lamia's become random foes as well.
    LamiaScl. an item that paralyzes foes.
    According to legend, she was once a Libyan queen (or princess) who fell in love with Zeus. Zeus' jealous wife Hera deformed her into a monster and murdered their offspring. She also made Lamia unable to close her eyes, so that she couldn't find any rest from the obsessing image of her dead children. When Zeus saw what had be done to Lamia, he felt pity for her and gave his former lover a gift: she could remove her eyes, and then put them on again. This way, though sleepless, she could rest from her misfortune. Lamia envied other the other mothers and took her vengeance by stealing their children and devouring them.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Not to be a wet blanket but........MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEH

I'm going to keep in mind that it's a launch trailer, and people have been begging them to do another high-fantasy medieval inspired FF for the last fifteen years or so, so kudos to them for finally listening.

It doesn't look BAD. It just looks........uninspired? Generic? Like I've seen it before? It also doesn't look very next-gen to me. There are current gen games that look far more impressive. Heck FFXV looked more impressive. I'm guessing it was a purely stylistic choice to keep it similar enough to the FFXIV look? Because that's absolutely what the look of the characters reminds me of.

I look forward to seeing/hearing more but I can safely say that this is the least excited I've ever been after seeing a mainline FF announcement trailer.
    I like Kung-Fu.

Pretty sure I heard the VA for Shulk in the trailer so I'm pretty pumped for another thrilling adventure with the POWER OF THE MONADO!

Nothing about this trailer really grabbed me like the XII and XV trailers did... but I also kinda dislike those games, so I'm not judging by first impressions too much! Has FF done the kind of Dragon Age-y, Witcher-y medieval look before? Can't really remember it if so. Again, not the most visually appealing setting right off the bat but it all depends on what they do with it. Looking forward to seeing more.

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

gimme dat dmc combat style though and I'll enjoy it no matter what kind of George rr Martin bs the story is, which tbh I haven't given up on yet, like others said, first trailer could bee nothing like the final product

looks a bit like a more action based ff7r combat? but go full action square, it's fine, I will accept and allow it

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

At this point I'm done with Final Fantasy after the VII Remake is finished.

This was just whatever to me. The overall tone didn't feel like Final Fantasy. I didn't get adventure vibes. It looks like XIV's art style, but the colors are kind of muted. It's still turn based which cements that turb based is dead for the franchise and I'm still upset they're going with that direction because they feel like nobody likes turn based anymore despite Persona 5, DQ XI, and Octopath Traveler doing well. trout, Persona 4 Golden is probably doing good on Steam too.

The combat reminds me of Souls and DMC and I only saw 1 character. Yeah, I'm good.

A lot of you guys are being way too quick to judge it negatively based on so little information.

If you judged FFXIII based on its early trailers, it looked incredible. Yet then it went on to be the most disliked in the series for several decades. You really can't know how good it'll be from these surface level impressions.

I mean we don't even know what type of game it is really yet. Is it open world like FFXV (first half)? Is it highly linear like FFXIII? Are there other party members? (seems likely)

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I think it’s less about judging and more about how this trailer just utterly failed to do it for us. Of course I want to be excited and I hope the later trailers do it for me. But as of now, this is the first time ever a new FF is announced and I feel absolutely nothing at all - and that is pretty heartbreaking.

Well I think you're just putting more weight on a trailer than I am. They don't tend to tell you that much about the final product really, except some of the general concepts and themes. Can't you remember that original FF13 trailer that looked incredible, where it made it look like the battle system was almost like a cinematic cutscene (which of course didn't exist in the final game at all, because that would be a nightmare to design for an entire game):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7uwtFpC4iI

Or that original FFXV trailer, where pretty much 100% of what was shown ended up being cut from the final game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcUSXub_ypU

This is probably not the kind of setting and style I would've gone for either. Personally I'd like to see them retry something like the FF13 sci-fi aesthetic, but with a better implementation. But I don't think all of that stuff matters too much at the end of the day. The quality of the game will ultimately come down to its story, characters, gameplay, and world design. Not its surface level aesthetics and themes.