Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 83

Thread: ff16

  1. #46

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chionos View Post
    I forced myself through XIII and XV; I’ll force myself through this either way. I have at least a little hope with Yoshi-P producing, but I can’t drum up any hype over this showing. Multiple viewings of the trailer, and I can’t find a single thing to be excited about.
    Also, something about the logo makes me uneasy or worried, but I’m not sure why.
    You shouldn't really force yourself to play a game that you don't really enjoy, not just with Final Fantasy, but with any video game. What I really liked about FFVIII & FFIX is that they had random NPCs that asked you if you were enjoying the game or not, if you say no, they suggest that you should stop and find something else that you'll be happier with more. I'm assuming that they put those NPCs in because they knew that some fans would be suffering with "this isn't FFVII", syndrome.

    If you don't really enjoy a FF, I highly suggest waiting a few years and trying again then, as opinions can change over time.

    But yes, Square has been really Westernboo lately, and it shows.

  2. #47
    Radical Dreamer Fynn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Tower of the Swallow
    Posts
    18,512
    Articles
    57
    Blog Entries
    16

    FFXIV Character

    A'nutoh Tia (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

    Default

    Ok but also like consider that YoshiP is actually close friends with Matsuno and is a big fan of all things Ivalice. So like, as generic as it looks on the surface, it might actually be really what fans have been asking for for years in terms of storytelling.

  3. #48
    Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Nowhere and Everywhere
    Posts
    18,682
    Articles
    58
    Blog Entries
    25
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

    Default

    That's of course assuming you liked FFTactics or the Ivalice games. I mean I adore them, but I know some heathens don't.

  4. #49
    Radical Dreamer Fynn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Tower of the Swallow
    Posts
    18,512
    Articles
    57
    Blog Entries
    16

    FFXIV Character

    A'nutoh Tia (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

    Default

    From what I recall, Maybee has seen the light and accepted FFXII into her heart recently. Could be wrong though.

  5. #50

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Golbez View Post
    I'm annoyed that they said the gameplay will basically be like FFXV. I'm not saying the story of XV is necessarily all that great, but I am saying the reason I stopped was that I was bored by the gameplay.
    Where have they said this? Well I'm not overly fussed on the XV gameplay either way, but at least it might mean there's a whole party of characters rather than just 1. I think that's a much bigger issue than whether it's more action or strategy based. Final Fantasy needs a party!

    Quote Originally Posted by chionos View Post
    In any case, I’m tired of the broody generic white male protagonist, too. Even nostalgia for earlier games that focused on those types doesn’t make me want to keep seeing that bland, uninspired (and un-inspiring) character over and over.

    The people they think they’re marketing to don’t exist in the numbers or the way they think they do.
    Ok this is all kinds of silliness. You seriously think that just because you care about the skin colour of fictional characters, that therefore everyone else does too? And that japanese developers are therefore deliberately pitching a game at people who only want to see white characters?

    Most people don't care about any of this in a fantasy game. It's far, far more likely that the japanese developers are in that category than the category of "lets make a game for the racists".

  6. #51
    Radical Dreamer Fynn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Tower of the Swallow
    Posts
    18,512
    Articles
    57
    Blog Entries
    16

    FFXIV Character

    A'nutoh Tia (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

    Default

    Honestly, I’d be happy with XV-style combat because that would mean I can just relax and hold the button like the old man that I am instead of engaging in twitchy nonsense.

  7. #52

    Default

    The main problem with the XV combat was that you could essentially buy immortality with gil. A problem they fixed in FF7R.

  8. #53
    Radical Dreamer Fynn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Tower of the Swallow
    Posts
    18,512
    Articles
    57
    Blog Entries
    16

    FFXIV Character

    A'nutoh Tia (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

    Default

    How could you do that? I mean yeah you could buy a crapload of Phoenix downs, but even they’ll run out if you’re not prepared

  9. #54

    Default

    Yeah and in my fight with Omega Weapon, I nearly did run out of all healing items. The battle essentially did become a matter of how many you'd bought ahead of time (and how much advanced magic you'd created ahead of time).

    The point just being that you could use them all instantly, so unless an attack kills all 3 characters at once, you can almost definitely survive it. FF7R fixed that by having the ATB gauge so you can't just revive 2 characters instantly.

  10. #55
    Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Nowhere and Everywhere
    Posts
    18,682
    Articles
    58
    Blog Entries
    25
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

    Default

    Yeah, but there are others ways to cheat the system in VIIR like switching your party around to confuse the enemy aggro and it wasn't like VIIR didn't overload you with healing items constantly. So you could still become virtually immortal as long as you didn't get greedy with attacks.

  11. #56

    Default

    Yeah but in XV, you could do like 2 phoenix downs, followed by 2 Elixirs, before the enemy could make a single attack. Nothing like that in 7R. It did require actual skill to keep your party alive through a tough fight.

  12. #57

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Yeah, but there are others ways to cheat the system in VIIR like switching your party around to confuse the enemy aggro and it wasn't like VIIR didn't overload you with healing items constantly. So you could still become virtually immortal as long as you didn't get greedy with attacks.
    If you ask me, the fact that enemy aggro always followed whoever was the active party member was Square cheating and really kind of undermined things like having dedicated healers,, so if it opened up some exploitation, I say turnabout is fair play.

  13. #58

    Default

    I don't think I even consciously noticed that in the game!

  14. #59

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Golbez View Post
    I'm annoyed that they said the gameplay will basically be like FFXV. I'm not saying the story of XV is necessarily all that great, but I am saying the reason I stopped was that I was bored by the gameplay.
    I'm gonna need a source on that, what we saw in the trailer looked absolutely nothing like XV's combat. It did look like Devil May Cry; put Devil Trigger over the fight scenes and it would match pretty well.

    If it does prove to be like that I'll probably be playing on Easy mode. DMC is fun and all but I cannot for the life of me do all the cool combos.

  15. #60
    The Alpha and the Omega WarZidane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    787

    FFXIV Character

    Cattleya Paphia (Sargatanas)

    Default

    Honestly I'd be okay with a sprawling RPG that has DMC combat.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •