Thread: Theory Time

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Theory Time

Let the baseless speculation begin!

I feel the grey haired girl in the trailer will be important later on and a potential party member.

Most of what we saw in the trailer is the game's prologue. Starting with the group hunting Shiva and flash-backing to the lead's childhood with Joshua.

Joshua is the main antagonist of the plot, but not the main villain.

The game revolves around kingdoms in conflict, with their powerbase being people who are the summons. They are exceedingly rare by the main time frame of the story.

The lead is granted a boon by the summoners which extend his battle style. This is why the summons/summoners are so important because they can potentially increase the power of the nations army.

The game will have a party system but the other members will likely serve only as a support unit for the lead.

Joshua : Red Mage. Can heal/ use magic.

MC ? : Cecil Dark Knight ?

Girl with Josh : Summoner ? Shiva ?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

So Dominant is probably what the summoners are called. Seeing as Ifrit later pretty much possessed Joshua, I think it’s safe to say these summoners have a much closer connection to the Eikons than any other. Perhaps they sign a pack with one and then they can manifest using their body. Here‘a where the Attack on Titan parallels come in, where the Dominants can pretty much just transform into their Eikons and fight.

And yeah, I think Joshua is the main antagonist, but I also kinda expect there to be a Ramza/Delita-like dynamic. Friends who are torn apart by war as they find themselves on opposite sides of the barricade. Joshua being a noble right in the middle of a revolution is also kind of a mirror to what happened to Delita. One was a commoner who had to face the reality that he will never be recognized as fully human by those in power unless he seizes that power himself, while the other is privileged from birth and loses everything to a class they didn’t even know were against them for justified reasons. Both lose their innocence and both want justice.

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I don't suspect this to be true but I think it would be really cool if the main character you play as for the whole game ends up becoming the antagonist. Hatred consumes him etc you know the deal.

There's a great alternate ending in Tales of Xillia 2 where you can make the decision to get in a boss battle and fight against all of your party members. It stuck with me.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

There is a part of me that feels the MC we're seeing might not actually be the lead character. I don't know why I feel this way. Maybe I just liked the idea they would pull an ACIII and have you play as the villain in the prologue. Or maybe I liked the idea that each trailer would introduce one party member while divulging a little more of the overall plot.

My main theory so far, relates to the most pressing of issues. I'm pretty sure they reused the same punching animation for Titan. Just flipped it so he's now left-handed.

Last edited by JJ Strife; 09-19-2020 at 06:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf Leonhart View Post
    I don't suspect this to be true but I think it would be really cool if the main character you play as for the whole game ends up becoming the antagonist. Hatred consumes him etc you know the deal.

There's a great alternate ending in Tales of Xillia 2 where you can make the decision to get in a boss battle and fight against all of your party members. It stuck with me.
    Breath of Fire 4 did that too.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    There is a part of me that feels the MC we're seeing might not actually be the lead character. I don't know why I feel this way. Maybe I just liked the idea they would pull an ACIII and have you play as the villain in the prologue. Or maybe I liked the idea that each trailer would introduce one party member while divulging a little more of the overall plot.
    I'm hoping that Joshua is the actual MC that's why we got to hear his name first before anybody else and the trailer was more about him. We don't even know the name of his protector. It could be something like Storm, it could be something like Multo De Cacare, it could be something like Leroy Jenkins, we just don't know yet.

Love the consumed by hate and therefore becoming the main villian idea for him though.

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

hope everyone dies on the prologue and we play as the eikons t trying to free themselves of the crystals controls

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Eikons have so much raw energy and that they need the Dominant to have a strong willpower to control them. Hence when Joshua was freaking out we get the inferno in the trailer.

I thought he was freaking out because one of his bodyguards just got killed!

My current theory is that the Dominants go unconscious while they summon the Eikons, and so if the Eikon is killed, the Dominant dies too. So Joshua and his Phoenix will be killed by Ifrit near the beginning of the story, and the rest of the story will be a revenge quest by his "Shield" who failed to protect him.

Oh and the reason his mother (?) said he shouldn't be outdoors is because they were hiding the fact that he's the Dominant, so the enemy couldn't target him.
    Last edited by JJ Strife; 09-23-2020 at 04:21 PM.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

My theory is that everything in the trailer was from the first hour of the game and we are speculating based on the equivalent of the Sector 1 bombing mission or riding Magitek armor through Narshe.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Yeah that's my theory too. I think they're invaded at the beginning when the main guy is like 18, and then most of the game takes place a decade later as he's seeking vengeance.