Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: So what do you hope to see?

I just hope to see more than just a generic fantasy setting with chocobos.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Everyone has covered the stuff I care about most (the stuff I've omitted I don't disagree with, just don't feel strongly about), so:
    Quote Originally Posted by WarZidane View Post
    • Moogles
    • Female party member
    • Cities to explore (sorry XV, you were weak in this regard)
    • Fantastical environments. This is actually one of the big things from the admittedly only 4 minutes long first trailer. I really want something more than just European medieval with magic, European medieval is boring.
    Yep.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    Game: don't sell a half-finished product and intend to fix it later with patches and DLC.
    Yep.
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ Strife View Post
    -Huge and varied, non-linear world. It doesn't need to be full Skyrim-style open-world. But just something fairly open where you need to explore a lot and can backtrack to previous locations. None of that FFXV "and now the rest of the world becomes off-limits, unless you want to time-travel into the past" silliness. Something like the world of FF12 would be good. Constrained and segmented but open and non-linear.

-Mini-games! They've really slacked on this in recent times. The thing I loved in the PS1 era is how they all had these huge mini-games that would almost span the length of the whole game, and have important benefits for the main game too. So Chocobo breeding/racing in FF7, card game in FF8, Hot n' Cold in FF9. We need something like this to come back. They haven't done anything like this really since Blitzball in FFX. Battle square/ hunts type thing doesn't count. It has to be something other than just more battles.

-A love story! It's been a while since they did a good romance. FF8, FF9 and FF10 all had really love stories, and then they just did nothing for several decades. Nothing in XII, nothing in XIII, and then an almost trolling provocation of a non-romance in XV.

-No time travel, no alternate dimensions, no fighting against abstract concepts. The number of times where injecting metaphysics into a story actually improves it can be counted on one hand.
    Yep. Although I will say FFXV had some absolutely awesome minigames, especially the fishing. Best fishing game of any game, ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    • Some varied locations not just different varieties of the medieval town.
    • Non-male and non-human playable characters.
    • Humor, wit, whimsy.
    • Meaningful gear upgrades that require some choice on what to equip rather than just using the weapon with the best attack power with 1-2 accessories that are situational only on the hardest battles.
    • Some form of the job system, even if it is just that the characters are stronger in certain areas (healing, magic, tanking, etc.).
    • A charismatic villain who gets some real screen time and development (this one seems hopeful). Also some meaningful side villain characters.
    Yep. Important to note that the villain with loads of screen time should be the final boss, not just a main villain that is followed up by some boss or two I don't give a rat's arse about. I'm looking at you, Necron/Braska's Final Aeon/Yu Yevon/Orphan. Even a little of you, Ultimecia.
    Quote Originally Posted by qwertysaur View Post
    Gilgamesh making an showing is always fun.
    Yep.
    Quote Originally Posted by maybee View Post
    • A evil tree
    • Turtle sage
    • Also most importantly strong female characters. If FFII can manage Maria and FFIV/FFV can manage Rydia and Faris then there's 0 excuses. None. Zip. Zero.
    Yep. Although I will say that FFXV aside, I don't think this has been all that lacking. Lightning/Ashe/Penelo/Fran/Fang/Reynn and even Serah are a hundred times more developed than Maria is. Some of the FFXV girls were great too, shame they weren't permanent members of the playable cast.

I'm confident they will get a lot of all of the above in the game. I really, really hope that evil tree and turtle sage aren't left out, though.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    Yep. Although I will say FFXV had some absolutely awesome minigames, especially the fishing. Best fishing game of any game, ever.
    I did enjoy the fishing, especially the fact that it meant you went exploring all of these remote locations. It's that exact kind of integration of the mini-games into the larger quest that I appreciate. The main problem was just it's lack of in-game rewards. It had no real impact on anything. I need mini-games like Chocobo Breeding/Racing in FF7 or Hot n Cold in FF9, where some of the best items in the game are discovered through them.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Fishing does give you access to the nest recipes in the game that can help out with optional bosses

Oh yeah, I forgot about those. It's cos I could never find the best fish, so I just gave up. I did catch the huge fish that was the final mission on that side-quest with the random dude you meet at different fishing spots. At the Vesperpool. I think that just rewarded you with the best fishing rod though, not any recipes.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

What Fynn said, but regardless I'll always prefer a good minigame with lacklustre rewards than a crappy minigame with great rewards. I couldn't stand Hot'n'Cold personally xD But that's a personal perspective, I know many did like it. I'll settle for a good minigame even if it just is for the sake of an achievement or a tiny bit of lore along the way, though. I'd say lore > items, actually.

Yeah I'd mostly agree with that, but at the same time I'd happily go through a lacklustre mini-game like the FF9 card game if it had good rewards at the end. But given that it had nothing meaningful attached to it, I just ignored it almost completely. Which is saying a lot given that I've pretty much done every other thing in FF9 (minus Excalibur 2, can't be bothered with that)

I don't really care about mini-games. I think they're space fillers in most FFs and probably wouldn't bother with most of them if they didn't have useful in-game prizes. I think they should be good (or at least decent and bearable) if they have them, but I won't mind terribly if they don't.

I don't think I ever fished in FFXV, but I generally feel like fishing mini-games have been done to death, so even the "best fishing mini-game of all time" doesn't sound terribly appealing to me. If anything, if there's a fishing mini-game, I prefer it to be simple, straightforward, and easy rather than trying to push the envelope on being great, since I probably still won't care for it that much.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Tbh it didn’t feel much different from the fishing in Ocarina of Time. It’s a bit more exciting perhaps, but mechanically it’s pretty much the same deal. Never been a fan of fishing mini games myself honestly. Noctis’ fishing skill was the only one I haven’t maxed

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I was thinking about it, and now I want a bard character who travels around playing remixes of older final fantasy songs, and you can stop by where s/he is and listen to a mini concert.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I was thinking about it, and now I want a bard character who travels around playing remixes of older final fantasy songs, and you can stop by where s/he is and listen to a mini concert.
    This would be cool. Also, have them play fitting songs at fitting times. At the start of the game, they only play prelude. Just beaten a boss? They're playing the victory theme.

That makes me think of these guys:

Give us FF16 Edward !

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    This would be cool. Also, have them play fitting songs at fitting times. At the start of the game, they only play prelude. Just beaten a boss? They're playing the victory theme.
    ^

This is England
    Papa Waigo
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Site Staff

I hope to see a gentleman of light, inspector extraordinaire.

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    Game: don't sell a half-finished product and intend to fix it later with patches and DLC.
    This is all I ever wanted. Pls make this old school which you get a full product upon purchase.

No more piss crap DLCs like FF XV pls. I am still having nightmares.