Thread: Hello, I'm New

Default Hello, I'm New

Hello, everyone. I should probably start off by sharing my history with Final Fantasy, so you all know where I'm coming from. My first exposure to Final Fantasy was the TGS 2009 trailer for Final Fantasy XIII. I was blown away, but I didn't have a PS3 or an Xbox 360 at the time, so I couldn't play it. Instead, the first Final Fantasy game I ever played was the DS remake of Final Fantasy IV. I loved it, and I've been slowly chipping away at playing the rest of the series since then.

Up to now I've played:
    Final Fantasy II
    Final Fantasy IV
    Final Fantasy VI
    Final Fantasy VII
    Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII (not quite finished)
    Final Fantasy IX (only a few hours in)
    Final Fantasy X
    Final Fantasy X-2 (including Last Mission)
    Final Fantasy XI (just started this summer)
    Final Fantasy XII
    Final Fantasy XIII
    Final Fantasy XIII-2 (including the DLC episodes)
    Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII
    Final Fantasy XIV (started this summer, I'm about halfway through Heavensward)
    A King's Tale: Final Fantasy XV
    Final Fantasy XV (including the DLC Episodes. I've also seen Kingsglaive and Brotherhood.)
    Final Fantasy Type-0

So I've played a big chunk of the series, but I've still got a long way to go to play them all. My favorite so far is the game that initially captured my attention, Final Fantasy XIII (a bit controversial, I know), and Lightning is my favorite character. The music is one of my favorite aspects of Final Fantasy, and my favorite music track (also from Final Fantasy XIII) is Serah's Theme.

I can't wait to talk Final Fantasy with all of you!

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Welcome to the forum!

It's always great to see a new face around here.

Who is your favorite FF mascot?

Probably Moogles. I love seeing the different forms they take over the course of the series, from literal plush dolls to playable characters and bosses.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Favorite FF Villain?

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

welcome, ff13 rocks

you've played more ffs than I have

hope you enjoy 9, it's a good one!

I'm not very far into IX and I'm already in love. The art style is gorgeous, and I love the way the story's developing so far.

My favorite villain is Ardyn Izunia. He's hilarious when he's trolling, and as twisted as he is, he was legit wronged by Somnus all those centuries ago. He isn't just a power-mad "bad guy," he was a hero who was twisted by circumstance (and bad decision-making) into becoming a villain, and that's a million times more interesting than someone who's just evil.

Close second and third to Caius Ballad (because apparently I have a thing for tortured villains with purple hair), and Cidolfus Demen Bunansa (I love villains who are intelligent and insane in equal parts).

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Welcome

do you any enjoy any other RPG series

I'm a massive BioWare fan. I love the KOTOR, Dragon Age, and Mass Effect series. I used to really enjoy Pokémon, but it's been a while. The last Pokémon game I played was HeartGold. And I've been meaning to check out the Tales series for a very long time, but every time I think about picking one up, I get distracted by another Final Fantasy game . I'd love some suggestions if you want to introduce me to some more RPG series!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Oh hey, an actual living person newbie! Welcome Hope you stick around!

And he’ll yeah, Ardyn rocks! He’s a pretty amazing villain all around!

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

While it's not a full series I strongly recommend you try our Chrono Trigger. It's one of my favorite games. I also love the Kingdom Hearts games, even if the plot is a convoluted mess at times.

There's also Shin Megami Tensei games and their many offshoots, like Digital Devil Saga, Devil Survivor, and the Persona games, all by Atlus. Just be warned that these games are known for their difficulty, and there are times where the game will just decide you lose and there is nothing you can do about it. (Hi Mot) Great games if you want a challenge.

If you like strategy RPG's I would give Fire Emblem and Disgaea both a try. Also the Final Fantasy Tactics games.

What systems do you have access to play on?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

All of qwerty’s suggestions are great. I’ll add Dragon Quest to them. It’s always interesting to look at FF’s earliest competitor and how these series influences each other. Fun fact: Chrono Trigger is actually the result of the FF and DQ creators collaborating on a project, and it’s honestly kind of the perfect blend of the two.

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll add some games from those series to my (always growing) list of games to check out!

I've got a PS2 (which is backward compatible with PS games), PS3, PS4, Wii (backward compatible with GameCube), Xbox (Original), DS, and GBA (backward compatible with GB and GBC), so I've got a lot of options (though they've become somewhat more limited since the Wii Shop Channel shut down last year. I've got to get a Switch one of these days).

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Don't know how I forgot to mention dragon quest.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Welcome to EoFF. *enforces*

That's an impressive list of FF games played!

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

If you like more traditional feeling series I'd suggest both the Tales series and the Trails series. (As in Tales of Symphonia and Trails in the Sky for example).

For a truly older series that's still great to try, Suikoden. The largely agreed upon highlights are 2, 3, and 5. Most people love 2, I personally love 3, 5 is very solid.

EDIT: Skies of Arcadia if you manage to find a copy to play somewhere. AFAIK there's still not a digital download option? Gamecube version is better IMO over the Dreamcast version because the random battle encounter rate isn't as asinine. Still a lot, but not as bad.
    Last edited by sharkythesharkdogg; 09-24-2020 at 08:13 PM.