Thread: Is anyone here still playing FFXI?

Default Is anyone here still playing FFXI?

I'm quite interested to know if it's managed to hold anyone's interest this long, or if new players are checking it out. I myself just started it this summer, and I'm hooked. Some of its systems are archaic and a bit frustrating, but there seem to have been several updates in the last 10 years that have made it more palatable for new and solo players (like Home Points and Trust magic). I'm quite impressed by the storytelling so far. I love the episodic nature of the stories, and Vana'diel is an enchanting world.

It's a bit lonely, though. If anyone else happens to be playing on Shiva, let me know. I'm thinking about joining a Linkshell, but I'm pretty shy and MMO guilds have always been a bit intimidating to me. Too many new people at once. It'd be nice to have just a couple of people to talk to. I won't be on every month (since there are a handful of MMOs I like, and trying to play more than one at once is just insane), but since we'll be getting new story content until at least 2022, I'll definitely be playing pretty regularly for a while.
    Playing Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood

Final Fantasy Games Completed

II, IV, VI, VII, X, X-2, XII, XIII, XIII-2, Lightning Returns, XV, Type-0

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I played on a private server a while ago but haven't been back there for about a year. I loved playing FFXI back in the day but I just don't have the time to justify the monthly subscription. It is really cool that they still provide story updates all these years later!

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I do intend to purchase the complete collection once it goes on sale, since I want to do another FF marathon, except include the MMOs this time. So hopefully in some time I'll be jumping on this. I was thinking of using the private servers, but I did dig around a bit and found out they're really mostly good for dicking around with friends and story content doesn't always work there, so I've decided that's not for me and that I'd need to pay eventually. But I'll do so gladly when the time comes, provided I have enough money to make that work for me

Of course that means I'll also be reaching XIV eventually, this time actually committing to beating the main story!

I have been thinking about playing FF11 but currently am playing FF14.

I'd love to play with other people or a static to get through the story content but if that's not possible is the content solo-able?
    "The Real Folk Blues" by Seatbelts ft. Mai Yamane

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I heard it’s soloable nowadays, but maybe we can all coordinate somewhat and do some stuff together someday

Yeah, all the story content is soloable once you unlock Trust magic. Basically you can summon NPC party members to take the place of a party of players. The combat is a cakewalk with Trust . I also highly recommend using a guide, as the game can be extremely obtuse and unforgiving if you don't know what you're doing. I've found this one to be very helpful. Of course, I'm always down to help out as well. I've only been playing for a couple months, but I've already learned a lot.

If you start playing, join me on the Shiva server and we can do some stuff together. It would be fun to actually play with some other people!
    Last edited by remy5623; 09-26-2020 at 07:37 PM.
    Playing Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood

Final Fantasy Games Completed

II, IV, VI, VII, X, X-2, XII, XIII, XIII-2, Lightning Returns, XV, Type-0

Okay, for sure. I plan on purchasing FF11 when it goes on sale and trying it out. I just don't have a time frame when.
    "The Real Folk Blues" by Seatbelts ft. Mai Yamane

FFXIV Character

Light Sprit (Cerberus)

I'd love to find some buddies and get back into it for a bit of a laugh, would be nice to tidy up on some loose storyline content too! But the golden era is long gone for XI.