Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910

Thread: A Full Final Fantasy Fmarathon (Community Edition)

Enjoying your thread since I'm still in FFIV; just read a few of your other posts up there. First of all, I like Kotaku but the Crystal Palace and beyond is collectively one of the best parts of III. Couldn't put the PSP down!

Secondly, when you were talking about optional dungeons you said you were curious to see how the Sealed Cave was (a relatively quick early-game cave), were you referring actually to "???" ? The ??? cave is mostly a disappointment. While it's fun (and very productive) to be in a cave where you only encounter colored dragons, you get to a point where you can both kill them by sneezing on them, AND breeze through the final dungeon without a scratch...all before being able to last more than two turns against the Iron Giant. After that, it's just a very long grind against unfit enemies, until you can beat him. The cave itself is about one screen long.

Unless, is there another "Sealed Cave?"

Anyway, you finish The After Years? I just got through the Lodestone Cavern where you can't wear anything metallic until the Dark Elf.

And Shauna, II is actually one of my favorites so far. Gets my award for best of the NES era.
    Current: FFIV The After Years

Completed: Final Fantasy, FFII, FFIII, FFIV, FFIV Interlude, FFV, FFVII, FFX

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

A'nutoh Tia (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I think I was actually referring to the Sealed Temple in FFV Advanced. I didnít cover any extra dungeons from FFIII, aside from the ones where you get the optional summons, since I was playing the NES version

Might as well update my progress on The After Years then! Edgeís challenge dungeon went by quick - no surprises there considering it was timed. Iím currently on Edwardís Tale, which means Iíve completed Poromís Tale in its entirety and... let me tell you, while Palomís Tale might be my favorite, Poromís is probably the weakest. Our girl Porom was done dirty, as her story not only doesnít really add anything to the overall narrative, but itís also not really her story, but everyone elseís. First itís all about Palom, then about Kain, and Porom doesnít really get to do much aside from wonder if sheíll ever find love and do something with her life without her brother. And I generally really like Porom as a character - itís need to see the other twin all grown up, and sheís one of the best characters in the game in terms of gameplay, but the writers really did her dirty. Or maybe they just didnít know what to do with her.

Her challenge dungeon went by pretty fast too but I had to do most of the grinding outside of it, which was different.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

A'nutoh Tia (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Finished Edwardís story and now grinding for the Challenge Dungeon. With these characters, itís an absolute slog.

You guys, Iíve actually been playing this game far more frequently than all the previous entries on this marathon, and I think itís already taking me longer than all the previous four combined.

The After Years is long.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

A'nutoh Tia (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

So I havenít updated in a while, but Iíve definitely been playing. Edwardís Challenge Dungeon took me really long. It was interesting but those same mechanics that made it interesting also made it kinda grueling, especially considering the fact that this tale probably had the absolute worst party in the entire game. When Edward is the strongest member of your party, you know youíre screwed.

Then came Kainís Tale, which was pretty much the best one yet, with probably the best challenge dungeon party in the entire game (though it still took super long because leveling four characters at once takes ages here). I like how this ties up most things together for the climax and honestly, aside from giving people more value for their money, I feel like combining Ceodore and Kainís chapters together was a terrible choice for the Wii version. Itís clearly meant to be played near the end, as played at the beginning it makes several chapters irrelevant (mostly Poromís) and the other chapters just feel like filler instead of enhancing the intrigue of this plot. After Kainís Tale youíre pretty much just ready to finish things.

Now Iím in Golbezís chapter and itís another one of those very interesting chapters. Golbez himself is a very odd character, serving as both a black mage and a tanky warrior that draws attacks, making him a sort of reverse Paladin, but not a dark knight lol While I already knew the reveal, I feel like this being the first time you actually defeat the Maenad and she stays dead, only to come back later thus revealing there are more, was really well done. Iíll be finishing this off soon and then itís time for the final two challenge dungeons before the big final chapter!

Iím also thinking about what my final party should be. My previous run I basically did the classic party just with Golbez instead of Edge, but now I wanna do things differently. Considering going with the kids (Ceodore, Ursula, Luca, Palom, Porom) but I have my doubts about that setup. Iím pretty set on going Palom and Porom at least, just for fun. Porom is probably the best healer with dual cast and while Rydia is probably a better black mage in every way, I donít think this game is hard enough to warrant such min maxing, and I like the idea of the twins reuniting for the climax. Cecil is a character I think I want there if only because heís absent for most of the game, but then heís also probably just the best character all around, like in IV proper. But then maybe there are some other characters I should consider?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

A'nutoh Tia (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Almost done!

Iím on the final tale now, entered the depths, beat all the bosses from I, II and III. My party consists of Cecil, Ceodore, Ursula, Palom and Porom and Iím quite happy with this setup! Iím gonna be approaching the hardest bosses soon so Iím actually thinking of skipping ahead and nabbing Dualcast for Porom before coming back to take out the hardest of the bunch. Iím kinda mad that you really only get proper access to Cecil once you enter the depths and he lags behind the others in terms of levels if you did all the challenge dungeons.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

A'nutoh Tia (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Beat The After Years! I very much enjoyed my final party, definitely didnít enjoy having to bring in Rydia to the Bahamut battle as she was 15 levels behind everyone else, but I beat that too. Overall my opinion of TAY has remained the same. Itís a good game that overstays its welcome a bit and relies too much on nostalgia, but itís still absolutely solid. Ursula is my new favorite character as she absolutely wrecks the game. I also really enjoyed the little shipping moments between Edge and Rydia. Looks like 17 years was enough for him to mature into someone anyone would want to commit to. Did not enjoy the fact that Kain didnít get a lady, or is even over Rosa after all those years. Then again, he is an incel, but at least it looks like heís okay with it now lol

Now itís time for FFV! Iím thinking of doing something differently this time. Usually I just played around with two physical fighters and two mages, but Iíve decided I probably wonít be giving my characters such rigid roles this time and switch them around more. So Iím actually thinking of starting out with Knight, Thief, Monk and Blue Mage this time around. Iíve never played a game where I didnít have a white and black mage in my initial party, so this is gonna be interesting.

Also, Iíve decided to make a little addition to my marathon. Chrono Trigger is actually going to be in there between VI and VII. Now I know itís not an FF, but I kind of feel like itís appropriate to put it in there. The makers of FF and DQ both worked on this game and you can see itís influence on the following projects of both (those being FFVII and DQVI). I might change my mind if I decide that I really want to jump into VII right away but for now Iím just really looking for an excuse to replay CT soon

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Guess this means I should boot up my Let's Play again. Still have to do that Suicide Squad final party.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

A'nutoh Tia (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Ok, so Iím not very far in yet but Iím playing V! Reached Tule and my party is Bartz the Thief, Lenna the Blue Mage, Galuf the Monk and Faris the Knight. I also leveled up Lenna as a white mage once so she could have level one white magic as support.

Exciting! Definitely a faster pace than what I was going at when I started. FFV is my favorite out of the first six final fantasy titles.
    "The Real Folk Blues" by Seatbelts ft. Mai Yamane

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

A'nutoh Tia (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

So I havenít updated in a while but in between Christmas stuff and Nier Automata I have still been playing FFV! Iím at the merged world currently and going into the Desert Temple

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

A'nutoh Tia (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Long time no update but I got something big! I beat the main story of FFV, as well as Shinryu and Omega. My setup was Bartz and Krile as Freelancers and Lenna and Faris as Mimes, with all abilities learned. Was at around level 38 and didnít have any problems with anyone. Shinryu and Omega were complete pushovers with the element-absorbing equipment. So now Iím about to head out into the Sealed Temple! Hope Neo Shinryu and Omega Mk. II are more of a challenge

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

A'nutoh Tia (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

And thatís FFV done! Omega Mk II was a pushover but Neo Shinryu actually had me scratching my head. I see people online say you need to be level 80 for both but I was level 40 and did it? For Neo Shinryu I really had to rely on Quick a lot but with some patience I got him and hey, I actually beat him with my own strategy! Bartz was jumping and had some backup blue magic, Lenna had blue and time and had the Force Shield, so she was basically the support wall, usually the only one to survive after Almagest, but she was enough. Krile had time and combine, since thereís a nice combo of items that really hurts dragons, while Faris had time and summon (basically just for Golem) and attacked with Apolloís Harp for massive damage. Levels really donít matter that much in this game, though I have to admit my elixir stock was nearly dry. After that battle Enuo was pretty much an afterthought.

So yeah, thatís it for me. I never planned to do Cloister of the Dead since it really just doesnít seem that interesting or important. Giving you Necromancer after Enuo is honestly ridiculous. So yeah now Iím playing VI and Iíve made it to South Figaro

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Necromancer is a pretty fun class once you figure out how to acquire their spells. It becomes a pretty good replacement for the Black Mage class. Though I agree it sucks that it's useless since there is nothing left to use the class against except old Ex-Death.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

A'nutoh Tia (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

So Iím really not updating frequently but Iím just way too into FFVI to spend time on this lol

Itís tied with XII as my favorite FF and yet Iím always amazed with how good it is when I come back. The Floating Continent is up now, so Iíll be finishing the World of Balance soon. Just trying to get some rages, lores, and spells on my mages before that

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

A'nutoh Tia (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Ok, there we go. Iíve beaten both VIís main story and the Dragonís Den. Theoretically I could also go in again and beat the Omega Weapon but since itís still the same dungeon and Kaiser was harder than Omega, I really donít feel like it. In general, VI has been an absolute blast and the Dragonís Den a really interesting dungeon. Iím sad the later games donít have these expensive post-game optional dungeons, since Iíve come to like them very much.

On that note, weíre at the end of an era! The 2D FF games are now behind me and itís all 3D from here - with the exception of Chrono Trigger, of course, which Iíve already started and have already been found innocent during the trial I think Iím gonna do a little summary of the games Iíve played so far in the upcoming days, so if youíre interested, watch this space

From Discord I know Iím not the only one doing this marathon, so I just wanted to give a quick shoutout to all those who are on this journey as well! It may be a long road ahead, but youíre doing great! But most importantly, letís all have fun reliving this series that brought us all together