Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: A Full Final Fantasy Fmarathon (Community Edition)

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I’m at the Dreadnought now and the good news is I got a Berserk scroll. Bad news is I taught it to Firion, assuming it was white magic like in IV. It’s not. His intelligence stat is bad so getting the spell to hit is a nightmare. I’ll just need to rebuy it later and teach it to Maria

The game doesn't even have any kind of symbol to indicate white or black magic? Am I misremembering or didn't even the first game use some kind of symbol to designate white and black magic?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Dunno about the original but the PSP and Advance versions had designated back and white balls yeah. FFII only uses tome icons

Probably best to just use a FAQ to determine it then.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

OK I got as far as reclaiming Castle Fynn Now I just need to get those masks to get to Mysidia. Also, got quite a lot of new spells. Lost of enemies dropped some black magic and the Fynn magic shop really helped expand Firion’s repertoire. I’m really looking forward to using Aura, Slow and Dispel!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Alright so while I do prefer II to I, the dungeon design in this game is one of the more frustrating in the series. Dungeons are just extremely long with so many winding pathways. It doesn’t help matters that I just can’t run from battles at all, making each dungeon way longer than anything in FFI. For that reason, I really don’t think I’m gonna bs doing the Arcane Labyrinth after all

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah, FFII has some awful dungeon design. The Trap Rooms don't help. I think my other major gripe was the terrible inventory system, but in hindsight, it just forces you to stop hoarding trout you don't need. I'm getting ready to tackle Pandemonium tonight.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Alright, I’m in Leviathan and Ricard just joined my party! He is one of my favorite temporary party members in this game, alongside Minwu

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

in whisperwind cove now, about to beat up ultros.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I forget how weird Pandemonium is. The only thing I'm missing to complete the collections in Origins is encountering and beating Iron Giant. It's on the sixth floor but I didn't realize you access that floor on the fourth, which you need to take to get back to the fourth floor which finally leads you to the seventh floor. So I kept walking past the floor I needed. This is not helped that it's a rare encounter like War Machine in FFI. When I tried to use Banish to reach a lower level, I forgot the level of the spell determines how many floors it takes you back and I've been grinding, so using the spell sent me back to the Jade Passage. I opted to leave and try to raise some of Leon's stats because I've had to give him the Masemune and full Genji Gear just to have him not suck compared to the rest of my team.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Finished it off tonight. I kept having issues because the source I originally used to find the Iron Giant was wrong. The big guy is on the fifth floor. When I finally encountered him, a Lv. 16 Ice spell shaved off 95% of his health. Sadly he didn't drop any of his awesome loot. I tackled the Emperor and chose not to use the Blood Sword. I missed the second one on accident so I only had the one, but I figured all my SaGa experience would help out here. Sure enough, once you get most of the buffs up, he can't touch you. Starfall, his signature attack, did maybe 230ish HP worth of damage to my whole party and most of them have health over 2000hp. I will admit I had some luck with the RNG in the fight and he never used any of his melee moves with their drain effect. He stuck to magic so it was a pretty one sided affair.

With FFII finished, I'm going back to my playthrough of FFIX I was doing. Once Fynn gets to FFIV, I'll probably jump back in since I have an unfinished file for that.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Nice one, Wolf! Would you say the Origins version is much harder than DoS?

As for me, I’ve reached the Cyclone (I still can’t get over how good that wyvern cutscene is). I imagine I’ll be finishing the game this weekend, though probably not Soul of Rebirth yet. I think I’m gonna try the Arcane Labyrinth before going to Pandaemonium to get Richard’s spear. I’m later gonna give him both that and the blood sword so that he can carry them over to SoR.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Nice one, Wolf! Would you say the Origins version is much harder than DoS?
    Yes and no.

DoS is based off the Easy mode from Origins. Origins had two modes, Easy and Normal with Normal making the game play like the NES original. Easy had re-targeting features, enemies dropped more money, and gaining stat bonuses may be a bit more generous. Another change is that some treasures were changed from the original such as a chest with Eye Drops in Pandemonium in the original suddenly giving you an elixir instead.

DoS keeps re-targeting as a permanent feature. Stat gains no longer reduce stats (so raising spirit doesn't lower your strength anymore) and the inventory system is based off the ones seen in FFV and beyond where items stack, and you can carry one of every item in the game. In the original items were treated as separate pieces and Key Items also took up slots in the main inventory and couldn't be dropped, meaning you lost a third of your inventory space over the course of the game. So a lot of quality of life changes that remove some of FFII's fake difficulty. The one feature removed though is the Action-Cancel bug has been removed, so leveling magic and weapons skills is a bit more challenging in the DoS version but the other fixes to the system kind of offset it and honestly makes the game less tediously grindy for it.

DoS and the PSP version also add in a few gamebreaker weapons and equipment which is par the course for the extra content.