Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 489101112131415 LastLast

Thread: A Full Final Fantasy Fmarathon (Community Edition)

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I always find XII suffers from having a very compelling story and characters that need to be straight-line played through to engage with at an appropriate pace, but the interesting and deep gameplay needs to be handled at a leisurely and exploratory pace.

No matter how you play XII, you sacrifice a bit of one for the other. Which is a bummer, because both parts are great.

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I felt asleep at the first fight of FFXII and have never touched it.

Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

You're wrong and I don't respect your opinion.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Alrighty, that’s FFXIII done

Overall, I enjoyed it more than I expected. It’s still immensely flawed, but after cozily breezing through it and reading the datalog as it updated, I do kind of get why people like it now. Also it’s still a damn gorgeous games even all those years later!

Now I’m on XIII-2 and already struggled a bit with how insanely messy the PC port is. Thankfully, I think I found a good patch. Now I just need to learn to deal with Serah’s clothes being changed by magic. And Mog. The worst moogle.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

So I’ve finished XIII-2 for the first time and you’ve been on discord lately, you know I’ve been losing my mind over it. In many ways.

It’s really hard to put into words what my relationship with this trilogy has become. It’s an amalgamation of good and bad that just won’t sit still and I’m having difficulty making sense of this. But I’ll make an attempt to at least keep this brief

XIII-2 is an improvement over XIII in pretty much every way. I like that there’s more freedom right from the getgo, and while I still really don’t like the battle system, the battles go by considerably faster. In fact, all the exploitable episodes are nicely bite-sized, so the game just flows so much better. I’ve had a lot of fun just going from place to place and seeing what I can find.

The story is just as haphazard as the previous game, if not more so. It’s more campy and fun with more personal scenes, but as I went along I kept getting the feeling that the game had no idea where it was going. Caius failed to grip me as an antagonist since I feel he’s extremely overpowered (like seriously, you’d think an all powerful immortal walking around Gran Pulse around the time of the War of Transgression would make a bigger impact on the events of XIII but it doesn’t) and his motivation feels half baked. I get it, he wants to save Yeul, but does it really count when he’s going directly against her wishes and destroys the world as we know it? Also, for how much he talks about saving here, it’s also frustratingly unclear what their relationship even is since I don’t think they ever talk. About the only idea taken to it’s full extent in this game is Alyssa, whose disappearance at the end of the plot makes so much sense and is done in a remarkably subtle fashion.

Still, the story had some neat moments, but overall I’m frustrated that it throws pretty much everything established in XIII out the window, since the lore established there was one of the few truly redeeming things about that game, imo. Don’t get me wrong, I had great fun with XIII-2, much more than with XIII, but throughout the time of my playthrough I couldn’t help but feel cynical about it. Everything about its design felt like an apology, like a desperate plea from SE to the fans to keep giving them money at a time when the brand’s image was in a dire situation. Everything had to be decided by what’s popular, from Caius being a sympathetic villain and whose theme was specifically written to occupy the same space as One-Winged Angel, to a moogle being a companion after fans crying XIII didn’t feel like FF, to the entire reason behind this story centering on time travel being the fact that Chrono Trigger is one of the most beloved SE titles ever, no matter how little sense it makes to take a sequel to XIII in this direction.

The music is great though. I still prefer XIII’s soundtrack, but XIII-2 gets kudos for being very different for FF. And overall, I definitely see myself replaying XIII-2 sooner than XIII. I just need this manic episode it’s sent me down to end.

Now, moving on to Lightning Returns. I’ve only just started the game, got to the point where I’m sent back to the Ark. so far, the impression is really good. The PC port runs like butter on max settings out of the box, which wasn’t the case for the previous two even after extensive modding. In general, I really dig the new vibe and aesthetic and I’m hooked from word go. The battle system is also a huge improvement. I’m really looking forward to experiencing this for the first time. Feels like this game could be something special.

Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I completely forgot that XIII was a trilogy.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Honestly, playing them all now in succession, FF would have been fine as a brand if they just didn’t bother with XIII and XIII-2 and only released Lightning Returns lmao

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Wow, now that you put it this way, i think you made a lot of sense!

Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm very much looking forward to your entire playthrough of FFXIV.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Quintuky fied Chicken View Post
    I'm very much looking forward to your entire playthrough of FFXIV.
    You have no idea how many people are looking forward to it lmao

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

not many people tbh just one or two really loud members

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Seriously man, i nvr played FF XIV. Could use a synopsis. :b

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Shauna View Post
    not many people tbh just one or two really loud members
    That’s still more than have ever waited for me

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Christmas View Post
    Seriously man, i nvr played FF XIV. Could use a synopsis. :b
    it is fun

also you get a lot for free

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

And that’s Lightning Returns done!

I never thought I’d come out of this trilogy this positive, but I actually really loved this game! It’s almost as if all of my grievances with the previous two were directly addressed here, but it also didn’t feel like pandering. It genuinely felt like the game the creators had in them all this time that they couldn’t realize before due to inexperience and mismanagement. It’s the most competent and most coherent of the three games and I just genuinely enjoyed the way the story unfolded too! It’s really a shame so few people got to even play it, due to the reputation of its predecessors. All I can say is, unless you really just hate Lightning, I think there’s a fair chance this one might win you over just like it did me.

So now it’s time for XIV! My sub is active, my game is up to date, so now it’s time to roll my character and see what all the fuss is about!