Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: A Full Final Fantasy Fmarathon (Community Edition)

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

So SJ important question I need to ask is whether staying in a job influences stat growth or does changing jobs just change all your stats. Like should I spend some time as, say, a black belt to get more HP even if my character is mostly a mage

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The only stat that affects your characters is vitality which affect HP. So yes, you'll want switch out mages to monks on occasion to fix their HP totals. None of the other stats affect anything and spell charges are based on the class and level.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Alright, thanks. I’m probably gonna start with a party identical to my FFI setup and go from there. And I’m gonna name them after the manga adaptation - shocking, I know I’ve noticed that’s actually the second most popular choice among players, right after the DS names, but hey, at least it’s not as basic as using the DS names

So we’ll have Muuchi the warrior, Doug the black mage, Melfi the white mage and J. Bowie (probably just Bowie did to character limit) the monk.

Blog Entries

I've been meaning to show my cats the *entire* Final Fantasy series. I might go ahead and see if I can't catch up with everyone. I'll take pics!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Alright, thanks. I’m probably gonna start with a party identical to my FFI setup and go from there. And I’m gonna name them after the manga adaptation - shocking, I know I’ve noticed that’s actually the second most popular choice among players, right after the DS names, but hey, at least it’s not as basic as using the DS names

So we’ll have Muuchi the warrior, Doug the black mage, Melfi the white mage and J. Bowie (probably just Bowie did to character limit) the monk.
    You should have done what I did and just give them a theme naming scheme.

Final Fantasy III 201301170016213.pngFinal Fantasy III 201301210004178.png

What a cute little Behemoth.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Ok I’m pretty far in now. Got the boat. Only problem is I have no smurfing clue what I’m supposed to do lol I’ve played III so many times and like, I forgot? I have Desch, there’s this whole bad tree with Hein going on but I don’t have the fire crystal jobs yet, and I know you got scholar before that fight... just what am I missing here?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Ah ok, I got my bearings. Found the Gulgan Gulch, so now I’ll be going to the Tower of Owen. Which also means I’ll be getting my second batch of jobs soon! Any recommendations on those? Any of them useful?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Knight is easily the best of the group and should replace any warriors you have. They are largely a statistical upgrade to warriors but unlike their NES and DS counterparts, they don't have access to white magic. They do have the Cover ability and their defend command will drastically reduce damage that isn't magic. They get better equipment and weapons than Warriors as well who should be having a harder time getting upgrades by this point.

Thief is an upgrade from their awful NES counterpart. The can't defend themselves, but they can open doors that usually require magic keys. Goldar's mansion is the place the class really shines. Thief is the only class where the proficiency mechanics come into play as the items they can steal are directly related to their proficiency. Luckily, most enemies only have basic items to steal but it' nice to always have a healthy supply of potions.

Rangers are a pretty decent class that is different from their DS counterpart. They don't have Barrage, instead they are the class that has access to Lv. 1-3 of White Magic, making them good support units. Bow and Arrow mechanics work the same. The real big difference is that Arrows are more difficult to come by in the NES version, most shops don't sell many of them and they need to be found. To compensate for this, Arrows have a significant damage increase. For example, elemental arrows in the DS version have a base damage of 17, whereas their attack power is 30 in the original.

Scholars are a bit rough in this entry. Scan shows an enemy weakness, while Peep shows their HP. They have no access to magic, but like their DS counterpart, their Intellect is on par with the Magus class making them especially potent with magic casting items. Books are good when exploiting elemental damage but are rare, with the first three having to be found and the last three are unobtainable until the Invincible is unlocked. The biggest issue with the class is their criminally low vitality. Not a huge deal in a basic playthrough, but for those hoping to grind to max levels and hp, gaining a level or two in this class will make that nearly impossible. To give you an idea, the scholars vitality stat doesn't even hit double digits in the NES version until you're Lv. 70. Their vitality maxes out at 15 at Lv. 99 compared to the 35 in the DS version.

I'd switch a warrior for a knight, keep your white mage if you have one or switch them for Red Mage if you want variety, black mage can become a Ranger if you want. Simply buy as many elemental arrows as you can comfortably carry on your person for the Hein fight. Keep your Monk the same until the Hein fight and have them switch to Scholar in case you get a level up and make sure to give them an elemental book. In my playthrough, Hein seemed to have a knack for dodging physical attacks so don't expect the knight to be as useful as exploiting elemental damage. Hein also has access to all three -ra spells and no status magic, so you're going to need a dedicated healer for the fight.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Good tips! Knew I could count on you I’ll try to do just that. Gonna be interesting going into that fight without a black mage. Unless I do actually decide to make Melfi a red mage for a little while

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

A black mage is not a bad idea, if Ranger fails to be useful you may need to resort to that.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

So I switched to the setup you told me about and actually beat Hein with zero issues. He was also weak to fire all the time, so that was kinda weird? But yeah, pretty cool, but I think I’m gonna go back to Black Mage, White Mage and Monk for now. Scholar is pretty much a one time job, I still prefer white to red, and idk as much as I like the Ranger, I think I’ll get more utility from a Black Mage. Will most likely be switching things up with the water crystal though, what with evokers, bards, etc becoming available!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Well, I did manage to get to the water crystal today. I’ve only really switched Bowie to Black Belt, as other than that I don’t really see any viable options. Not interested in thief for now, don’t really feel like doing Viking and Geomancer this playthrough, and Dragoon and Magic Knight can’t really be used effectively yet because of the lack of viable equipment options. As for bard and evoker - I think I need to know a bit more about the jobs before I try them out

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Man you play really conservatively