Thread: Dissidia Final Fantasy Opera Omnia is closing down

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Chocobo Dissidia Final Fantasy Opera Omnia is closing down

The game will be officially shut down on February 29th 2024. Right now the game is making some changes o prepare for this shut down with the game making it super easy to acquire characters and all party members staring at the base max Lv. 70 once they join. So for anyone who hasn't played and wants to just enjoy the story can play.

Interesting side note, apparently the director said that part of the reason for the shutdown was because the ending o Act 4 felt like a satisfying ending for the game. I'm sure long term players will be annoyed that Red XIII and Rikku will never see the light of day for it though.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

I played it for 6 months or so when it first came out. Interesting concept and I liked the character models and art style, but the battle system never really clicked for me.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I finally checked it out because I was curious, bu yeah, the gameplay is... something. I feel like here way too many gameplay mechanics at play, and it brought over a lot of the equipment nonsense I hated in Record Keeper. The plot is fairly okay, very slow, which is typical of the medium.

I hate tooting this games horn, but every time I play another SE mobile title, I can't help but feel like the devs behind Romancing SaGa Re:Universe does things better. And to be fair, the bulltrout is still there, the gacha nonsense, too many events, and the power creep; but it just feels like there is less of it. Like the original main campaign ended over a year ago, and we're already knee deep into a second scenario with a new cast of characters even. The plot also just feels like it has actual momentum. In FFOO, I'm in Chapter 3 and it's just Mog and the FF cast collecting characters and hunting down Torsions that may or may not be connected to Kuja, and everyone is pretty much still in the dark about everything. RSRU? Polka has lost his sister and joined the Grave Knights of Loanne as a means to get the resources to help him find his missing sister. The world has magic towers springing up everywhere that contain the spirits of warriors from different times and dimensions and only select people have the power to enter these towers and release these individuals, Loanne's monarch is in a secret power struggle with the empire that funds them but is wary that they are collecting these warriors for a coup, Polka is being stalked by his former boss who is a world renowned assassin, and everything is connected to the evens of Romancing SaGa 3's story. FFOO is a much slower burn by comparison, and that's weird that SaGa of all things has a more robust story and narrative going for it because that is hardly the thing the series is known for. Yet, I would still say that if the mobile structure of norms are things you dislike, RSRU is not doing anything new, it just feels like it's either being more subdued in the insanity of the medium. In a lot of ways, it reminds of how much I enjoyed Terra Battle and how it was doing more o tone down the excesses of the medium.

I'm not disliking on FFOO too much yet, I'm still oddly addicted, but I can't help but feel like the gameplay mechanics and power creep nonsense get in the way of enjoying it, much like with Record Keeper and KHUX. I also hate the nonsense of needing to draw multiples of a character/item so you can merge them together to unlock level boosts and extra passives, which is an annoying trend in SE mobile games. Like SaGa does this as well, but they have a secondary resource that does the same trout and works universally among characters of the same rank; and there are dozens of ways to amass this resource so you're not just grinding the one resource used for the gacha. My main goal for the moment is to stay focused, ignore most of the event stuff so I can focus on powering through the main campaign of the title, of which I've read many good things about it.

I saw this posted on Reddit earlier, hopefully the game will become playable again one day due to this person's efforts: https://www.theverge.com/24094441/fi...on-square-enix