Thread: Laptop Recommendations

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Default Laptop Recommendations

Hi. My old laptop died maybe a month ago now. It was pretty cheap so I'm looking to get something better.

I have Life Is Strange on Steam and want to be able to play it. I want to spend about $650. If you can help I'd appreciate it. I have no clue what look for beyond RAM.

You could probably play that game with a much cheaper computer based on the recommended specs., but I'd probably aim for a laptop for a laptop with the best discrete G.P.U. you could afford. The rest of the specs. usually tend to fall in line since a laptop comes assembled as a fully engineered unit, and most video games are more G.P.U. intensiive than C.P.U. intensive to the best of my understanding.

If it looks new the Asus Tuf Gaming FX505DT-WB52 is $600 at walmart and has a GTX 1650 discrete G.P.U. in it. It should be easily able to run that game. If you could bump the budget up and get a 1650 ti that might be better, although.

If you want to judge a G.P.U. at a glance cenerally speaking the hundreds and thousands columns of a nividia gpu model number denote how new the card is, and its 10s column denotes the tier, with higher being better for both. If the model number is appended with Ti or Super it is mid generation upgrade that is better than the same card without the number. Generally prefer newer cards over older ones, then higher tier cards over lower ones, but keep in mind that a higher tier GPU from a generation prior might perform significantly better. I am not so sure how it works for AMD. People frequently benchmark their computers and share the results in order to ascertain which components are better than others, and which ones go well together, so f you can consult a tier list do so just to be sure.

I am not so sure if it is a good time to buy unfortunately, with the desktop graphics card refresh just around the corner, but I guess it should take some time after that before new mobile skus are released, and you are in a situation where it seems that you need a computer now. I hope that helps.
    Look, I'm a strange person. When I was younger, nothing used to make me laugh any harder then when somebody made fun of me. Unfortunatly for me, my mockers looked at me strangely and stopped when I did this. Go figure.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Hmm. That is a good price, but I've always had Asis. I want something different. Since it's like Black Friday time now those graphic cards should be cheaper, right?