View Poll Results: Which game has the better soundtrack?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Final Fantasy X

6 85.71%
  • Bloodborne

1 14.29%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: EoFF RPG Thunderdome 2020: Round 1 Match 15

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Hey, my kid loves that battle music when we do math battles. It's very upbeat! I actually agree it is among the worst in the series, but this is a series with fantastic battle music. It is certainly better than any battle theme from FFXII and later.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Absolutely shocking. This level of blasphemy.

No but like in all seriousness, XII has no main battle theme but it has some amazing boss themes, not to mention the area themes really do a good job fitting in with battles. Blinded by Light alone is an absolute banger and just one of the most stellar battle themes in the series, and the soundtrack was never one of XIII’s flaws. And XV has a ton of great battle music all throughout. And that’s not even mentioning the pretty standout battle themes in XIV. I’m sorry, but every FF after X has had a better battle theme than it. The last decent regular battle theme Uematsu composes was Dont be Afraid from VIII, and my stance on VIII’s OST is legendary at this point

I've got to agree on the battle theme. FFX's is one of the worst (if not the worst) battle themes in the series,and while it's fine during play, there's no way I could bear to listen to it outside the context of the game.

On the other hand Zanarkand is one of the best tracks of the game, so Uematsu didn't do half bad on his contributions after all.

However, Fynn picked out possibly the best track in the whole game to put on here, so I do think the assumption that Uematsu's contributions were the best is probably off.
    Last edited by Lord Golbez; 10-07-2020 at 02:45 AM.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I guess I judge it a lot on how mememorable it is. FFXII did have some good boss music but I barely remember it. For XIII, I do remember the intro but it kid of fizzles out from there. Admittedly I didn't play XIV and just started XV.

For Uematsu, even his worst tracks are still memorable. My complaint about video game music theses days is that you barely remember it even if it suits the scene. It's just part of the background.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    My complaint about video game music theses days is that you barely remember it even if it suits the scene. It's just part of the background.
    This, 100%. This is definitely a trend that has taken over game soundtracks in the last decade or two, and it's very upsetting.
    Playing Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood

Final Fantasy Games Completed

II, IV, VI, VII, X, X-2, XII, XIII, XIII-2, Lightning Returns, XV, Type-0

I honestly can't remember any of the music from FFXII. I figured it was because it was mostly atmospheric, but it could also be because I only played it once and want to wipe it out of my memory....

I think voice acting largely destroyed emotional game music (though not entirely). It used to be that the music really had to deliver the impact for dramatic scenes, but now it's more in the background while voice acting does the heavylifting, so it tends not to be as memorable.

I say not entirely because I think there are some games that don't really do this. For example, the Persona games, despite having loads of voice acting, never really seem to push the music to the background and, hence, have some great emotional and memorable tracks.
    Last edited by Lord Golbez; 10-07-2020 at 03:12 AM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Eh, idk, it’s more that voice acting is more prominent now and music can be more complex. Just because you can’t hum the music right away doesn’t make it worse. FFX’s battle theme certainly sticks with you and I certainly wish it didn’t.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm still just disappointed that you let Bloodborne die in the first round to FFX of all things. I'm personally offended by all of you.

pD3EQ.gif

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

This could potentially go differently if only Bloodborne was available on a platform that I own

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    This could potentially go differently if only Bloodborne was available on a platform that I own
    That has never stopped you before in the past with listening to game soundtracks. I know you've listened to a few before you actually played them.