View Poll Results: Which game has the better optional content?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Chrono Trigger

6 100.00%
  • Breath of Fire III

0 0%

Thread: EoFF RPG Thunderdome 2020 Match 37

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Pink Grin EoFF RPG Thunderdome 2020 Match 37

Match 37 is up and it's all about the side content!

Chrono Trigger
    chrono1.jpg
    vs.

Breath of Fire III
    breath-of-fire-iii-ps1-cover-front-jp-47937.jpg

I think this is a very easy Chrono Trigger. I'd say CT has among the best optional content of any game. A bunch of optional, yet nonetheless very story-filled character based side quests at the end. A bunch of potential endings at least a few of which are accessible on a first playthrough and several more on new game +. By the way, as far as I know this was the first game to have new game + (at least the first I played) and it did it so well.

Not really sure what exactly BoF III has for optional content other than Masters and finding all the dragon genes/equipment stuff, so this is very lopsided. Fishing too I guess, whatever. I'd probably choose CT over BoFIII on just about every category, but this one is a particularly stark contrast

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

BoFIII also debuted the Faerie village which became a staple for the rest of the series. There is also some optional boss style enemies and secret items to collect as well for side content. BoFIII also introduced the first actual good fishing minigame seeing how the first entry was pretty basic and BoFII's was rough around the edges.

Oh yeah. I forgot about the faerie village. That was pretty decent side content, but this still easily goes to CT. I don't really remember what optional bosses were in it.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Golbez View Post
    Oh yeah. I forgot about the faerie village. That was pretty decent side content, but this still easily goes to CT. I don't really remember what optional bosses were in it.
    Berserker and Mage Lord is what I believe they were called. Both appeared as random encounters in the Container Yard and they regenerated a ridiculous amount of health every round so you had to be in top form to beat them.

Oh yeah. Those were pretty tough, but they were just random encounters. I mean I guess that makes them like Warmech, but I don't know whether you can run into Warmech multiple times or not

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Absolutely no contest.

Hey you know what would’ve been funny here? The music category. And I say this only because BoF III stole CT’s forest theme.

Haha. Yeah, I remember that. CT would surely win there too but BoF III has some really good music, if a bit elevator musicy at times.

I'd love to see the composer for BoF III explaining how they're different a la Vanilla Ice trying to explain how he didn't copy Under Pressure.

Chrono Trigger, easy.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I mean, the key is different and the second half is different, but the first half is identical. So while it’s not exactly plagiarism, it definitely wasn’t an accident.

There are other cases of very similar tracks that I have less certainty about. Like Apocalypsis Noctis from FFXV. It does definitely have a very similar melody to the Elder Scrolls theme at first, but then everything other than the main melody is very different, and it’s also just not exactly a ground-breaking chord progression either. So I’m willing to give Shimomura the benefit of the doubt here. The BoFIII ladies get no such benefit though as that is clearly just a copy. And it’s one of the earliest tracks in the game too. CT was so big and get they thought they could get away with it

FFXIV Character

Cattleya Paphia (Sargatanas)

I'm not even a Chrono Trigger fan but yeah, it easily has Breath of Fire 3 beat in optional content, with all the optional endings and other stuff.