Thread: What do you hope to see in the combat system?

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Cookie What do you hope to see in the combat system?

The teaser trailer gave us an idea of the look and feel of the combat, but what are some other elements you hope to see?

In before "How about a party?"

I wanna see a new take on switching between multiple characters during battle. I don't think any of the various real-time battle systems have really figured out a good solution to this issue. FFXV and FF7 Remake were both fine, although neither felt ideal. In FFXV the other characters felt useless outside of the special techniques. In FF7 Remake, the whole party felt quite useful but it felt like only the character you were controlling was doing anything (so didn't feel as much of a party as it could have).

My favourite approach so far is the Xenoblade Chronicles chain attacks, and the way they had moves that linked up between each other during regular battle too. That way you still only need to control one character at a time, but it still feels like the whole party is doing something.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I would like to see a better defensive game and a battle system not based on pure offense which is the biggest issues I have with ction RPG combat. Granted I know I won't get this. FF gave up defensive strategies sometime around FFV but it would be nice to have a system that forces you to not always being on the offense. The Souls series spoiled me.

I would like something similar to FFVII Remake tbh, I think it's a good mixt between ATB and action. You control the character you want and you have one you prefer, but you can also change who it is for different kind of enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    I would like to see a better defensive game and a battle system not based on pure offense which is the biggest issues I have with ction RPG combat. Granted I know I won't get this. FF gave up defensive strategies sometime around FFV but it would be nice to have a system that forces you to not always being on the offense. The Souls series spoiled me.
    I don't. Defensive strategies for action games usually means a heavy emphasis on timed blocking and evasion, of which I'm not particularly fond. In fact, I think FF7 Remake already probably has too much of that, but fortunately there are ways around needing to do it at least in Normal mode.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Golbez View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    I don't. Defensive strategies for action games usually means a heavy emphasis on timed blocking and evasion, of which I'm not particularly fond. In fact, I think FF7 Remake already probably has too much of that, but fortunately there are ways around needing to do it at least in Normal mode.
    That's exactly why I want it though. I mean if your just mindlessly mashing your way to victory, the combat feels hollow. You need that defensive game to keep you engaged. I don't feel VIIR even has much of a defensive game in Normal mode outside of just waiting to charge your ATB to cast a healing spell or use a tech. I like my combat to be more thought out and engaging.

Excellent Post,I like your blog and It is very informative. Thank you

I'm not sure how much more defensive you can get in an action-based battle system. What are they gonna do exactly? Have a mode where enemies get bored and die of frustration if you evade 3 times in a row?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by JJ Strife View Post
    I'm not sure how much more defensive you can get in an action-based battle system. What are they gonna do exactly? Have a mode where enemies get bored and die of frustration if you evade 3 times in a row?
    You add a stamina gauge (or in this case of FF, tie every thing to the ATB bar) so that dodging, attacking, and specials have equal weight instead of making flailing your normal attack and dodge rolling a free action. Imagine how challenging VIIR would be if even dodging and normal attacks were tied to the ATB bar.

Sounds a bit like Dark Souls, which is fine with me. I love those games.

FFXIV Character

Cattleya Paphia (Sargatanas)

Probably my two favorite combat systems are Nioh 2's (and 1 to a lesser extent, also don't mistakenly think they're the same as Dark Souls combat just because everyone calls them DS rip-offs, Nioh combat is far more complex and fast-paced ) and Devil May Cry 5's. Anything they do to make the combat in XVI similar to either of those two, I'll welcome.