Thread: The music of Kingdom Hearts

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Default The music of Kingdom Hearts

With the release of Melody of Memory only 20 days away, lets take a trip down the melodies that help shape the series, and some of the history behind them as well.

There is no better place to start than at (almost) the beginning, the second song you hear when you start the game. But depending on where you live, you get a different song. In Japan, you hear (Hikari) by Utada Hikaru. Worldwide, the song used is Simple and Clean. Both songs have similar melodies, but have key differences, because she felt it would break with her integrity as an artist if she tried to force Simple and Clean to have the exact melody as Hikari. As Utada is fluent in both English and Japanese being born in New York City, she wrote both versions.

Hikari music video

The music video for Hikari is poetically, simple and clean. It's just Utada washing dishes, and was done in a single take without any edits needed according to Utada.

Both songs can be heard during the credits, but for the opening, we get treated to the PlanitB remixes.

hikari

simple and clean

So what are some of your favorite melodies and songs from the series? Do you love the Disney songs in the worlds, or the original songs unique to the series? I'll post a new song or songs each day with a little history on them. So share your favorites!

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I've always been more partial to Sanctuary.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Collectively, the Kingdom Hearts series has some of my favorite music of all time. Yoko Shimomura is an incredible composer and I just can’t get enough of her romantical compositions. I’ll get some examples in later as there are too many to list just off the bat, but generally speaking, I can’t help but tear up at any instance of Dearly Beloved.

Kupo Kupo! More Kupo Nuts please! Basket of Moogles!'s Avatar

Agree with post above. Music in Kingdom Hearts is really amazing. Yoko Shimonura is amazing. His works are amazing.