Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Article: FFXVI Teaser Site is up and whole lot of information has been revealed.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Dancing Chocobo Teaser Site is up, and whole lot of information has been revealed.

The teaser site just went up with some gorgeous artwork and a bunch of new info. https://na.finalfantasyxvi.com/

For those who don't wish to browse the site:
    • The world is called Valisthea and it's studded with large mountains of crystals the people of this world use to build their countries. These are the Mothercrystals mentioned in the trailer.
    • Mothercrystals generate a power called Aether which is used to create magick and helps the people of the world live comfortably.
    • The world has six great nations that have built their homes near these Mothercrystals. An uneasy peace has existed between them but that is all changing thanks to something called the Blight.
    • Summons are called Eikons and they reside in a chosen person called a Dominant. Dominant's are treated differently based on their country with some being treated as royalty while others are mere weapons to their people.
    • The Grand Duchy of Rosaria is where Joshua and our hero Clive live. The nation fights over their Mothercrystal, Drake's Breath, with their neighbors the Iron Kingdom. The two nations couldn't be more opposite of each other with Rosaria making their Dominant Phoenix into the Archduke when they come of age, whereas the Iron Kingdom, ruled by the Crystalline Orthodox see Dominants as abominations and execute any born with the power within their borders.
    • The Holy Empire of Sanbreque controls the Mothercrystal Drake's Head and live a relatively plentiful life. They worship their ruler as a deity. Their Dominant is a celebrated hero who comes to the call of the land and is well loved. Their Eikon is unknown at this time.
    • The Kingdom of Waloed is the largest of the six countries ruling the eastern half of Valisthea which is called the Ash. They share their lands with beastmen and orcs who often rebel to the kingdoms rule. Their Dominant has become the new king of this land and has quelled these usurpers and built a large army to test their borders with and see how far they can go. Their Mothercrystal is called Drake's Spine.
    • The Dhalmekain Republic is made of five city states who send representatives to their parliament to control the lands. Despite that, the Dominant of Titan holds special sway over the parliament. Their Mothercrystal is called Drake's Fang and parliament's control over it gives dominance over the southern lands of Valisthea.
    • The Crystalline Dominion is a small territory at the heart of Valisthea where the tallest of all the Mothercrystals, Drake's Tail resides. The constant wars over the mothercrystal led to an armistice and eventually an autonomous zone that is controlled by a council made up of representatives from the other countries. Each country gains some benefit from the mothercrystal and the land has no Dominant to speak of.

• The main character is named Clive Rosfield. He is the eldest son of the Archduke of Rosaria. He was expected to gain the power of the Phoenix but instead was passed over and manifested in his younger brother Joshua. Though he holds no bitter feelings towards his brother, Clive strives to have some role for his homeland and dedicated himself to the blade. Eventually he earned the duty of being a member of the First Shields of Rosaria which grants him a small portion of Phoenix's powers. His run in with a rogue Eikon Ifrit that will change his life forever. He is fifteen at the time of the flashbacks with his brother.
    • Joshua Rosfield is the Dominant of Phoenix, manifesting the powers shortly after his birth. He is the timid and bookish younger brother to Clive, whom he is endeared with. Joshua feels inadequate that he became the dominant of his country and it's eventual ruler over his stronger and heroric older brother. He also really hates carrots and is five years younger than Clive. His fate is also changed forever by the dark Eikon Ifrit.
    • Jill Warrik is the young girl seen with Joshua and Clive in the flashbacks. She hails from northern territories that had an antagonistic relationship with Rosaria. She was taken from her homeland as a child to become a ward in Rosaria. The Archduke insisted she be raised along side his two sons Clive and Joshua. She is twelve years old in the flashbacks and is a dependable confidant for the two boys.

Sounds like at leat 5 crystals, so it's not "the four crystals" plot.

Is it just me, or does Clive look kind of Squall-like in that art?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The Ivalice vibes are strong with this entry.

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

clive is short for 'CLowning In Ivalice'

don't ask me to expand on this

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Feels very much like Ivalice mk. II
    Yep and I like it.

Still no word on whether these other characters will be playable?

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Quote Originally Posted by krissy View Post
    clive is short for 'CLowning In Ivalice'

don't ask me to expand on this

Why would you need to expand on it? Is it a nested acronym?

red headed monkey dude sir helix's Avatar

Feels like forever ago that we had new main series anything lol

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Honestly SE naming a character "Clive" is the most dramatic shift from form we've seen in a while. CLOUD SQUALL ZIDANE TIDUS ASHE (stfu Vaan) LIGHTNING NOCTIS and ...Clive. xD
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Saw in the World section that a name is blacked out here and there.

I imagine the Dominant must be a figure in a helmet that the player would recognize.

People are usually pretty good at figuring out who the "mysterious figure" is before the game comes out just by observing the teased character bios and getting a judge of their archetypes. We'll see how long this mystery lasts.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I think the blacked out part is talking about the summons/Eikons themselves. I'm sure most of the Dominants that are not Joshua haven't been shown yet. Though judging by the banners, I'd say Waloed's Eikon is Odin, while Sanbreque's is Leviathan. Not sure if the Iron Kingdom has one though, but it could be Ifrit. I also imagine Bahamut or Shinryu is attached to the Mothercrystals considering the dragon name scheme for them.

What did strike me as interesting is that watching the trailer again with subtitles to get around the thick accents, the existence of Ifrit is apparently an anomaly. Clive is surprised to see another fire based Eikon which makes me wonder if the world has some kind of rule about this. Likewise, some of the background details give the impression that while some nations acknowledge the Eikons, there may exist more than they are aware of.

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Didn't think about that but it makes sense