Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: WK's improptu 100% Playthrough

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'll do a quick assessment of Dark Knight and Lady Luck since I'm flailing on updates and now that I have a new PS3 controller, DMC4 is likely going to be my main thing for awhile.

Dark Knight - Easily my favorite class in this game so far. Part of the reason is that it was the first time the class ever showed up in a playable fashion since FFIV. I mean now, the class is everywhere in the series, but at the time, it was the first time the class had been a player controlled in nearly a decade. The main draw of this class is its tankiness combined with its sheer power. The class has the best natural defenses of any of the classes I'm currently using and it's attack power feels slightly higher than the others. It's innate skills it can learn gives status protection from many of the worst status effects meaning this class is great to combo with an accessory or Garment Grid that offers healing abilites. Hell even the magic stat of this class is no slouch though hardly ideal. Darkness is also just an excellent skill that is great for trash mobs and good against bosses as well since it's non-elemental. The HP cost is fairly low and its also bugged so that 0 Mp cost abilities will negate the HP cost completely making this class better. It's basic attack is also strong and it comes with some useful spells for dealing with enemies and keeping the DK alive. Charon is a throwaway skill, but Black Sky is a pretty good ability and I love the fact it's basically the Meteor spell. It's biggest drawback is how slow it is, but I feel that can be mitigated by the team composition. I never noticed the class being slow while using a team of Alchemist (also a slow class) and Lady Luck (can often muli-attack depending on how good your reels are) whereas I can see teaming it up with a Berserker or Thief would make it painfully obvious how slow the class is. Still, the class beats out these other classes due to it's high survivability and innate protection from several status spells. This is something I've noticed to be a problem with this game as it seems like the combat and classes are really based on a YOLO concept with even traditionally beefy classes like Warrior and Berserker often feeling flimsier than necessary. I'm not surprised this class is often a mainstay for endgame bosses, it really is in a league of its own so far.

Lady Luck - A fun class built on high risk and high reward. Easily it's best qualities is access to it's innate skills which double XP, Items, and Gil as well as making all attacks critical hits. The Dice moves are fairly broken like they were in FFVI, and much like Wakka's Overdrive, the reels are devastating when you get them to line up just right. I do find the item reel to be a bit pointless but the other three are pretty awesome with the melee reels giving you some nice physical attacks with debuffing properties, Magic gives you access to Black Sky and freaking Ultima, while the Random reels can go everywhere from having them cast a basic cure spell on the party to an auto-win move that doubles all your rewards in addition to just winning the fight for you. Granted, Dud is a serious drawback as it will remove 75% of the party's health when activated, but considering the reels are susceptible to the same cheat you can use for Setzer's reels, you can generally avoid this. The class also teaches a skill to raise Luck (crits) and one that can Confuse a whole group of enemies at no MP cost. You also can get Bribe, but I've never found that skill useful outside of item farming late game crap in FFX. I would say the only true drawback of the class is it's low health and defense. It hits surprisingly hard for a class using playing cards, but it's HP and defense are comparable to the Alchemist and pales in comparison to beefier classes like Warrior and Dark Knight. Reels can also be a pain for people since using them without the exploit is dangerous while using the exploit is going to offset the rhythm of battle since you'll be going all MM1 on it. The class also might be the worst dress. I mean they look like cocktail dresses that got fed through a wood chipper. Only Pannacotta Fugo would say their outfits are magnifico!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Did the Cavern of the Stolen Fayth missions, which turned into a huge issue. Granted, I caused a lot of my own problems here. I opted to rescue everyone at once instead of just grabbing who I could and making multiple trips back. I had a damn Lure bracelet on so I was getting constantly harassed, and my PS2 controller has seen better days with the should buttons and specifically the Start button not being as responsive as they used to be so I could use the exploit on Lady Luck and saw a lot of Dud reels. I did manage to get Stone Breath for the Gun Mage class and when I finally got around to fighting him, I managed to defeat Yojimbo on my first try despite almost getting a full party wipe out due to my Alchemist getting killed the round before he used the move. I still find it funny that the earliest Aeons you battle are the game breakers.

I checked back on my chocobos, and I had to save scum because I lost all but one of them. Reload later and I only lost one, which I can live with though I now need to hunt me down a Timid Chocobo or two.

I then jumped to Mt. Gagazet where I finally acquired the Trainer class that I had missed during my first playthrough. I then opted to climb the mountain instead of using the teleporters so I can gain some AP and levels... which turned into an old school playthrough due to not taking off the Lure Bracelet. I was getting attacked every two steps and this is one of the longer dungeons in the game. Took me two hours to get to the save point towards the top and I gained seven levels for my party without using Lady Luck. I also managed to learn all the AP skills for Gun Mage, teach everyone Stash Mega Potion and Phoenix Down, and I'm not far from having everyone master Dark Knight. Yuna also managed to master White Mage. While I'm going to leave Alchemist until I acquire some of the AP Up accessories/Garment Grids, I am thinking of spending some more time here to finish mastering up a few classes since I'm using the Mug exploit and the areas weak ass monsters to speed this process up. I feel the biggest issue with the job system in X-2 is that it borrows a bit too much from FFT and makes skills way too expensive. Like I would really like to enjoy Berserker but all of its actual good skills are hidden behind a high pay wall. At least Alchemist throws you a bone and makes Mega-Potion and the double item potency skills inexpensive even if Stash Elixir is the most expensive skill in the game. I also want to play with the Trainer class a bit and maybe master Lady Luck for fun and levels since I would like to hit Via Infinito head on once it opens up. Garik and his planned genocide are just going to have to wait.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Via Infinito

I finished it somehow...it was not a good time

If everyone knew about the 'secrets' at launch, there maybe much more of a fan following of the game then there is today. I have all the secrets which makes my play-through(s) so much fun to enjoy---but i think they make it more profound for someone to find themselves. It's nowhere near the level of X's story but i think X-2 has the better "extra" material included for a player to uncover.
    ** The wonderful joys of seeing the popularity of FFX grow is extraordinary **
    ** Currently playing Final Fantasy 8 for the first time and it's super cool ***
    Through one adventure into another the endless feeling of excitement

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Yeah, doing a 100% run is wild. So many tiny details...so much torture to uncover them all lmao

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Going to start this back up again.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I escaped from the grind loop that Job Systems have a terrible habit of trapping me in, and finished beating up Garik on Mt. Gagazet. This was funny, because the first time through the game, when I wasn't really trying to go for 100% and was just blazing through, I remember this fight being the first real hassle for me because I was underleveled. This time? I'm around Lv. 60 and have most of the jobs at 50% development, so the little bitch didn't know what hit him. I wish I could have set it up to have him cast Mighty Guard on me, but I don't think I even could if I wanted to. Had some fun checking out Trainer and Berserker. Was definitely more impressed with one over the other, but I'm going to give the weak one a little more time to grow on me. I need to go get my Samurai class as well.

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

You doing the remastered version? Heard the monster taming thingy is a pain in the ass.

This I can comment on.

The remaster soundtracks aren't as good.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Christmas View Post
    You doing the remastered version? Heard the monster taming thingy is a pain in the ass.
    Nope, OG version.

:monster: I'm trying to keep track off all you people for no real reason.

How's it going lately W.K.?