Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which FF has the best Post-Game?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Ok but DQVIII’s was short enough that it would qualify as a post game, and while it reveals new story, it’s more of an epilogue to the main character’s personal journey rather than a reveal of the true final boss. DQXI’s “post-game” is basically just the third act but hidden, which is why I wouldn’t call it a post-game, just like I wouldn’t call the WOR that.

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

the entire ff13 series

I will not be taking questions at this time

The distinction everyone's making for FF6 is arbitrary. Lots of end game content is good unless there's too much of it and then it doesn't count as end game content at all? Where's the cut off point? What percentage of potential gameplay is the maximum amount that can be considered end game content? Either you restrict it to content that only become available after you beat the game, or you don't. That's a categorical distinction. Otherwise, you're just making people play a guessing game of what qualifies as end game content based on what "feels" like too much to be considered end game content. I maintain the position that it's FF6, because there are only two clear categorical distinction I can think of here for the kind of content that counts. Either it's content that only opens up after the game is completed (most FFs would be disqualified for this) or its content that opens up at the same time the final dungeon becomes available (most of WoR in FF6 counts for this).

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I think you’re mixing up post-game content with end-game content here. To make that distinction here, let’s take FFV and FFVI here. The entirety of the Merged World and World of Ruin are optional end-game content. It’s stuff that unlocks once you unlock the final dungeon. It’s true that many vanilla releases of V and VI would be disqualified from having post-game content at all because you pretty much don’t have anything to do after beating the final boss - that is, after the game, or... post-game. Post-game content only exists for FFV and VI since the GBA rereleases, where you get the Sealed Temple, Dragon’s Den and Soul Shrine - proper post-game content that is exclusive to the post-game. Up until X you only really got end-game content, but since XII you’ve had a bunch of stuff unlock after the game is beaten, and pretty much all of the rereleases of I through VI have some form of post-game content.

So yeah, it’s not arbitrary. Post-game and end-game are just two different things that often get used interchangeably. If you wanna say the post-game of FFVI is the best one on the basis of WOR, that’s a fallacy because you’re answering a completely different question.

I'm only mixing them up because WK explicitly conflated them in his opening post.

Articles
    Blog Entries

IMO when it comes to the distinction between endgame and postgame content it's ironically less about the specific timing of its unlock and more about its purpose and place in the game's flow. Endgame content stands 'side by side' with the game's finale and together with it brings narrative and gameplay payoffs and gives you a feeling of having reached the 'end', preparing you for and existing in direct relation to the actual, literal end of the game. Postgame content serves a very different purpose as it exists *not* to stand next to the game's narrative finale but rather for players who 'want more' from the game even beyond its main narrative, people who finish the game and haven't had enough of it yet.

And even when it's in the form of a boss that in actuality unlocks halfway through the game like Emerald Weapon, that's exactly its place in the game - you don't fight Emerald Weapon in preparation for the final boss, it *far exceeds* the entire final dungeon on its own already. You fight it if you want a challenge beyond what the game's main plot and dungeons offers you. Even if you level up like crazy and fight Emerald Weapon *before* actually finishing the game's story, that doesn't change that it is fundamentally different from something like gathering up your lost characters in the World of Ruin in Final Fantasy VI which builds towards the finale of the story itself and is on equal standing with it. Emerald Weapon is going beyond what the main dungeons including the final dungeon asks of you as a player, and is specifically for the players *wanting more*.

Or if that's too ephemereal and complicated you can just simplify it into what I mentioned previously, as in, content that exceeds the final dungeon and/or boss in terms of challenge, that's postgame content. If it's below or equal, it's endgame content. Simple as that.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I don’t disagree with this, but I do think it’s worth mentioning the Emerald and Ruby weapon were added in a rerelease

By "rerelease" you mean the original western release, correct? I mean, I'm pretty sure I got FF7 the same year it was initially released and they were in it. I'd also like to point out that whiles, yes, you don't defeat Emerald Weapon to prepare for the final boss, you may very well fight it simply because it's there and not for an extra challenge. Emerald Weapon is not particularly well hidden. I ran into him well before beating the final boss on my initial run of the game and was taken completely by surprise by how hard he was. Even at my initial defeat, I still had no conception of how much HP he had. I figured I was actually kind of close to beating him. I really had no idea that a monster running around on screen was intended to be a superboss.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah, Emerald was added to the Western/International version. It was not part of the original Japanese release

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Tactics A2