Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Default I started FFXV

Inspired by Fynn's thread, I picked up the Royal Edition of FFXV which was surprisingly cheap. I'm still in the first chapter/area, and I have only a vague idea of what's going on. It's only from reading other things that I have any grasp of the plot at this point. Despite all this, I'm having fun.

Cruising around in the car sounds so cheesy for a FF game but it is actually very satisfying. I love that you can listen to old FF soundtracks as you drive. The area I am in is very barren so I'm glad we have the car and also that you can set a destination pretty much anywhere on the map. Running is boring especially with these open spaces where not a lot is going on.

The game has some interesting depth with the special skill for each character and the magic drawing/crafting system that reminds me of FFVIII. Other than warping around, which is cool, I don't find the combat all that interesting yet. I don't yet understand the purpose behind switching weapons other than for cool visual effects. Maybe it gets better.

I think right now I need to do a quest for a guy so I can catch a boat, but instead I've just been driving around doing random quests or collecting treasures. I will update as I go!

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Glad you are finally having a chance to play through this. Getting side tracked by quests is the norm of this game. Can't wait until you unlock chocobos.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

A'nutoh Tia (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Weapon changing is basically up to you. Each weapon type has a particular battle style, so knives will be super quick, great swords will be very strong but much slower and combo poorly, while spears are great for reaching fliers. Enemies also have weaknesses and resistances towards types of physical damage so be on the lookout for that - the game tells you whether they’re weak resistant or neutral via the color of the damage numbers, but I don’t remember which color meant which

Honestly, the battle system doesn’t really get much more complicated than that, but what I really loved about it is how relaxing it is. Holding the buttons is a great alternative to the usual button smashing in action RPGs and it always just felt really fluid once you get into the flow of combat.

A consummate professional Strider's Avatar
    Articles

It got a little repetitive, in my opinion, but that may be because I felt compelled to do every last little side quest before advancing the main story.