Thread: Your thoughts on Secret of Mana PS4?

Default Your thoughts on Secret of Mana PS4?

During my all-time SE playthough quest, FF I through V almost complete, Secret of Mana is next before FFVI. It's moderately annoying to find a cheap way to play the SNES version of Secret. Whether by getting a SNES and the game, finding an affordable SNES Classic, etc. (I really want to stick with console gaming as opposed to roms). So how is the PS4 Secret of Mana? Found it used for $30 and just grabbed it. I have never played the original. I just want to make sure I'm still getting the famous "circle menu" experience, the supposedly excellent characters/storyline, and a pretty faithful battle system experience. YouTubers generally say that the PS4 version is extremely faithful, but what do you guys think? Okay to play the PS4 version and still have the real experience? EoFF/FFF are always the best resources for these things. Thanks!!
    Current: Final Fantasy VI (finally!)

Completed: Final Fantasy, FFII, FFIII, FFIV, FFIV Interlude, FFIV The After Years,
    FFV, Secret of Mana, FFVII, FFX

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

It's not bad. It's certainly a very faithful adaptions compared to Trials of Mana remake. About the only real gameplay changes is one that lets you go to the menu screen to unstuck a party member from the scenery if you start rushing through a dungeon too fast, and the other is that the animations feel slightly slower due to having more frames of animation but still going at the same speed as the OG. The soundtrack is also remixed, but you can switch it over to the original if you want. The other big change is the character skits when you stay at inns that give you a little more insight into how the party feels about the plot which is a very nice change.

It's a very faithful adaption which was okay for me, I still have the original on the SNES so I was hoping for more changes. I loved the original, so I can't really complain here. The game was notoriously buggy when it was first released, but has been patched since then.

Thanks as always Kanno,

That sounds like a pretty full endorsement for what I'm looking for. I'll stay with the remaster for now.
    Current: Final Fantasy VI (finally!)

Completed: Final Fantasy, FFII, FFIII, FFIV, FFIV Interlude, FFIV The After Years,
    FFV, Secret of Mana, FFVII, FFX

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

The PS4 version is just a graphically upgraded version of the original, with maybe a couple extra upgrades. You can even switch to the original soundtrack if you prefer it over the upgraded. Some of the gameplay systems are a little outdated these days but they kept them all intact. It's really just a reskin of the original game. I sorta appreciate SE for taking one of their classics and leaving it virtually untouched for a rerelease, but then again, waiting a couple seconds for 100% to build up just to do a normal attack or holding the attack button for 15 seconds to use a power attack is a little boring now!

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

It's also easier.