View Poll Results: Weakness battle: Villains and Art Direction!

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • FFXIV

2 40.00%
  • Persona 3

3 60.00%

Thread: EoFF RPG Thunderdome 2020: Quarterfinals Match 3

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default EoFF RPG Thunderdome 2020: Quarterfinals Match 3

Match 3 is up and the categories are: Villains and Art Direction Weakness battle!

Final Fantasy XIV: ARR

vs.

Persona 3: FES

I don't know a ton about FFXIV but Persona 3 has some great imagery in its art direction. The villains could be stronger, but I only chose that as a weakness under duress, I actually think the nihilistic villains of P3 are really interesting.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Villains was a tough thing to go by to begin with because in XIV's case, there is a tone of them and the main ones are a precursor race that is trying to restore their old world at the cost of the current one. Amet Sech gets a lot of lip service in fan videos I found, but there are a few other people involved not even counting other figures.

P3 is also tough because it has three set of villains but overall, the real threat to humanity is itself and its desire for self destruction. So while I posted one with Strega or talkign about Nyx, the reality is that it's humanity itself that's the villain for those who never played P3.

So yeah, 'villain' is not an easy concept for either game.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I went with P3 though I quit it midway through. It wasn't for the art direction or villains though, it was because the dungeon crawling and daily activities got too repetitive. Somehow I found it a ton better in P4 and P5. Anyway, I can't remember who the villain of P3 was but then again I can't name a single FFXIV villain. So it comes down to art direction. I do really like the Persona art style, with the very vivid and expressive 2D avatars, which won it in the end. For FFXIV, I feel it was copying a lot from FFXI and although I love FFXI's style, I wished FFXIV did more to distinguish itself.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum