4 66.67%

Thread: EoFF RPG Thunderdome 2020: Quarterfinals Match 4

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Relm EoFF RPG Thunderdome 2020: Quarterfinals Match 4

The final match of the quarterfinals! The categories are Replay Value and Music, this is a Strength Battle!

Final Fantasy VI

vs.

Chrono Trigger

trout. I knew this was going to hinge on category choice, but I thought once presented with the categories,I'd know which selection to make and I ... actually don't. I was pretty sure that combination of categories would go to FFVI for me, but now I'm not so sure. So the part that's easy for me is music definitely goes to FFVI and replay value DEFINITELY goes to Chrono Trigger. The question is more how to weight these categories and take into account the relative difference in each category. I'm leaning CT, because I think the games are closer in the music category than they are in the replay value category. Also, while I like good music in games a lot, unlike plot or gameplay, I'm not sure I weight it more heavily than replay value as a category. By going strictly replay value instead of full side content, I think you pushed this to CT for me. If you had chosen side content, I still would have gone for CT in that category but the games would have been closer in that category.....yep, I've decided, it's CT

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

To be fair, it is side content and replay value, I was just getting lazy about writing it all out. Since side content is optional, it stands to reason it would affect replay value since you can choose to skip it or not.

I feel the one factor I would point about concerning side-content replay value here is that CT is designed with pre-built optional stuff to do for replay value, whereas VI's mechanics allow for more player driven challenges like CES, natural magic, or no control style replay value. Just some food for thought...

The difference is that CT has side content that is STRICTLY replay value, because it isn't accessible on a first playthrough. The stuff about self-imposed challenges isn't remotely interesting to me, so I wouldn't factor it into my assessment. The idea that all the side content in WoR is part of this for more than just what it adds to replay value....well it would have made this even closer than I already thought, so I don't know.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Very tough call as both games excel at these, with CT having the better optional content and FFVI having the better music. I think I’m gonna need this to CT though for introducing Yasuniri Mitsuda to the world.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

This has been the toughest of all to pick. My two favorites!

I think FFVI wins music hands down. It was the pinnacle of 16-bit era music. CT has some great tracks but I love almost every track in FFVI. As for replay value, as some have mentioned CT literally has content that you need to replay in order to see. You can technically see everything in one play through of FFVI. It's also a massive game which makes it harder to pick up and play over again. I'll have to give CT replay value.

So for the tiebreaker I'm just going with the game I like more, which is FFVI.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum