Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Final Fantasy that has changed the most for you.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Nom nom nom Final Fantasy that has changed the most for you.

Give me one FF title that has changed the most for you. Did you use tro hate it and eventually come around to it? Maybe it was one of your top three and now you find it hard to go through it because it's issues are so glaring to you now?

Whatever reason, tell me which games you've changed your pinion of.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Probably VII. It used to be one of my favorites but playing it again and dealing with the terrible translation and the mess that is anything beyond disc 1 seriously put a damper on it.

FFXIV Character

Cattleya Paphia (Sargatanas)

My opinion on most of them has changed in various ways and degrees but at the top of the list would be FFX.

Loved it when I first played it, but in the years that have passed since then, my appreciation for just about every aspect of the game has gone down, some more significantly than others.

On the flipside, an FF I appreciate more now than I did when I first played it is FFXII. I didn't dislike it, but I definitely like it more now. Partially because I initially played it in Japanese before I really knew any Japanese (didn't want to wait a year for the EU release), but also partially because of various aspects of the game's design that I can simply appreciate more these days.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Surprisingly thinking back, there's not a lot of change in my opinions on the series. The main noticeable shifts being around X, X-2 and XII, which all started as "good games" for me and have, to varying degrees, risen only further higher among my ranks over time. I used to consider VII my favorite and X below it, by now X is well at the top, but that's not really because I fell out on VII or anything, just because on more and more reflection on it my appreciation for X has just increased in a way that VII didn't match. VI comes to mind a bit but it's not a game I ever actually "didn't like" as much as I needed some time to distance my own feelings from it from how it's perceived.

So yeah, not really any particular game I've truly changed stance on I feel. Though I feel like I'm still gaining some new appreciations like for IV as of late, so that's fun.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Probably FFX. Hated it at first because I just couldn't stand Tidus, Yuna and Seymour - the three main characters, basically. These days I don't feel like they'd annoy me so much, so I could probably get by. Most games haven't changed much for me though - Final Fantasy games age pretty well, personally speaking.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

When I first played FFVII, I didn't like it. Too many people had told me how great it was and compared it to FFVI, and because of that, I didn't like it because it was definitively not as good as FFVI for me. However, eventually, I decided to play it again and I could really like it for what it was, without looking for a comparison.

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

ff8

i loved it back when i played it

and now i'm like

wow child soldiers eh

lol i totally glossed over the child soldiers bit my entire life and now krissy comes in and ruins it for me... uh yea i mean it kinda feels like orphaned children are funnelled into a emotionless soldier factory at a pretty young age and at least some of them are there on standby to kill the only mom figure they had huh

Quote Originally Posted by krissy View Post
    ff8

i loved it back when i played it

and now i'm like

wow child soldiers eh
    So now you like it even more?

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

like if they ever Implied it was wrong I think I'd be ok with it but THEY NEVER DO

it just is taken as commonplace cause there's multiple gardens in the world

the more I think about it though I'm not sure it's too different from countries with conscription or with heavy recruitment cough twitch cough... but still, it's a heavy/positively presented part of the plot

cloud leaves to join the corpo army at a young age too, but at least it's shown as A Very Bad Idea

I wonder if square was trying to say something in the ps1 era about funneling of kids into soldier factories hmm

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Nah, I don’t think they thought that hard about it. I feel the kid soldier trope is popular in Japanese media because you can put your characters in uniforms like it’s a school but they can also fight bad guys this way. Same reason why Type-0 went in that direction but there they actively deconstruct that and make it a War is Hell kind of thing. In here it’s honestly just a pretext, so I’m more inclined to say they just didn’t think this through

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I just figured they wanted the protagonists to be the same age as the target audience.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The war orphan idea was lost pretty quickly in early development. Mainly because Kitase and a few other staff members decided they wanted the military academy to have a nostalgic high school vibe to it which ran counter to the original premise. So I don't think they wanted to go that way. Considering how dark the previous two entries were, it's no surprise the staff opted to do something lighter and softer.

Definitely 12. I hated the generic MMO set-up of just hitting a button and your character auto-attacking until dead. But once you can really dig into the gambit system, and once I got over the fact that there's yet another teenage protagonist, it became one of my favorites in the series. Odd how my most appreciated games in the series have actual adults as the playable characters

Japan's obsession with "they have to be teenagers" an "it has to be set in a school" has continually irked me since I left puberty and the fact that the whole country is still obsessed with highschool is absolutely ridiculous. It's a nation of nostalgia nerds but they do nothing to make light of adult life. Can't try to pretend that they all become lifeless drone doctors. They still play video games and watch anime and read manga and they know it. Why not create stuff that they can relate to? I just don't get it

But that aspect of FF8 never really resonated with me. I just hated how emo, anti-social, and dickish Squall was. And how braindead Tidus was. Both ruined the entire experience of each game because I could not get away from them. I'm not sure I'd hate those games as much these days. But I still feel a deep disappointment at what possibilities could have been instead

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The high school element of Japan, while I agree limits the scope of their story telling, also makes sense to me since most gaming and anime is directed towards that age group. There is still a major stigma about enjoying those elements in Japan if you're an adult. Would likely be the same as saying you still play with action figure/dolls in the West.