Thread: Streets of Rogue

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Default Streets of Rogue

Anyone else pick up this little gem while it was on sale? I've been playing it non-stop for a couple of days now.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Yeah me and Dan have been playing it a bit. It’s good chaotic fun although yet to settle on a character I really like.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I've beaten it on Soldier (easy mode, basically), Slum Dweller, Gorilla (guns disabled on that run) and a custom character I call 'Redneck' (also easy mode). Did the slums as Vampire (I lucked out and got a machine gun really early and it was too easy) and thought I'd try out Zombie on my way to unlock Firefighter. Quickly found out that Zombie is insanely fun but... oof, when the guns come out to play, you die so fast. I might try Zombie with guns disabled but it feels like that would make it too easy. Trying to find a good mutation balance for it.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

You mean Streets of Rage?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    I've beaten it on Soldier (easy mode, basically), Slum Dweller, Gorilla (guns disabled on that run) and a custom character I call 'Redneck' (also easy mode). Did the slums as Vampire (I lucked out and got a machine gun really early and it was too easy) and thought I'd try out Zombie on my way to unlock Firefighter. Quickly found out that Zombie is insanely fun but... oof, when the guns come out to play, you die so fast. I might try Zombie with guns disabled but it feels like that would make it too easy. Trying to find a good mutation balance for it.
    Any strategy tips or tricks BoB?

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Never heard of it, but it's on sale for $6 on Steam, so I went and got it due to your glowing reviews.

Will report back.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    Any strategy tips or tricks BoB?
    Really depends on which character you're using and how much you've unlocked, and naturally mutations can make the game insanely easy if you use things like Infinite Ammo, but honestly it can take away a bit of the intensity. I find the game gets easier rather than harder as you get more powered up. I finally finished it on Comedian - I got lucky with the options as I leveled up and got Feature Act early and leveled it up. At that point, my jokes worked on everyone. Also, getting Studious early is insanely good, but that's pretty obvious. Still haven't lucked out with Bartender, I keep making dumb mistakes at random points. But yeah, I used Infinite Ammo while getting used to the game more than anything, you beat it and then you start having fun. I try a character with no mutations except Continues when I'm trying to learn how to use them, but sometimes (such as Gorilla) I have to add in extra mutations (no guns) because Gorillas vs. Guns was... well, yeah, I died fast a lot.

One hugely underrated one is No In-Fighting should you be able to pick it up. Never accidentally shooting your pals and making them hate you saves a huge number of situations suddenly turning against you as your followers will often happily run forward between you and your victims and suddenly get shot by you and turn to attack you instead, doubling your problems. If I don't have No In-Fighting, I generally just get my followers to stand guard somewhere far away from trouble and/or don't get followers if I can avoid it. As soon as I have No In-Fighting, I want followers galore.

Followers without In-Fighting can still be useful if you want to mess up an area for easy access to various buildings (and loot) without having to put yourself in a 1 vs 10 situation. Walk in, shoot someone, hide from bullet range, let the followers mess up everyone. If you have a cop, a gang member, a gorilla or a scientist expect some good carnage as other groups of people join in and have an extraordinary barfight. Hide around a corner with a pistol and take out those that come for you, if any, but more often than not you'll have all kinds of loot to pick up in a big mess of bodies if you play it right.

Bribing cops is, generally speaking, 100% worth it if you have the spare cash and aren't saving to power up a certain trait.

Unlock traits and rewards when you can. Some of the future items are excellent things to have pop into your inventory after finishing a mission or cracking a safe.

I've yet to play the co-op, I imagine it really changes how you deal with a lot of things. I have a friend who is interested but I am not sure if it is his kinda game xD We'll see, though.