Thread: Favorite retcon or new addition added to an FF re-release

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Default Favorite retcon or new addition added to an FF re-release

Despite not appearing in the NES version of Final Fantasy, Cid was later mentioned in future versions of the game to retroactively extend the lineage of Cid in the series.

What's something you enjoy about a Final Fantasy game that was not originally in its original release?

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Leviathan in FFVI actually. After playing through a good chunk of the series, it just felt weird to have such a staple summon not be in this game.

hqdefault.jpg

The ability to choose party members at the end of FFIV. I wanted that since I was a kid so I was glad to see it added to a later version. Not really much of a retcon but counts as a new addition.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Having now played both versions, I actually appreciate how all the characters start separately in FFIII 3D, since you get to play around with the freelancer more and it’s also pretty much the only part that got a serious revamp in terms of story.

Don’t know if this counts as a retcon, but I absolutely love the additional scene with Golbez’s childhood at the end of FFIV 3D. At this point any version that doesn’t have it feels incredibly hollow.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I thought of another. The Judge battle from XII:TZA. Mainly because it not lets you battle all the judges including Drace and Zargabaath, but it also raised their stats for true end game and transformed them into the fearsome force the plot tries to pitch them as but the gameplay fails to live up to.

I also love the Enuo optional fight in FFV. While I generally dislike the new classes, the super dungeon was a very nice addition, and I appreciate it having a small bit of narrative to it.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    I thought of another. The Judge battle from XII:TZA. Mainly because it not lets you battle all the judges including Drace and Zargabaath, but it also raised their stats for true end game and transformed them into the fearsome force the plot tries to pitch them as but the gameplay fails to live up to.
    Even with all the ways to break the game I still can't do that fight. It's really hard! It's the only thing I haven't been able to complete in TZA

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    This. That fight is so much fun.

Though to answer the question in general I'd probably have to say the Zodiac Job System itself. It really transforms FFXII into a different, and IMO considerably better, game.