Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rebuild of Evangelion

Sky Blue Sky Recognized Member Trumpet Thief's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Contributions to Eizon project

Default Rebuild of Evangelion

To all the NGE fans, how do you guys feel about "Rebuild", which is seen by many as another way to cash in on the success of Evangelion. My apologies if a thread of this has already been made.

Fragaria addict Recognized Member Momiji's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Dunno yet! I just finished watching Evangelion + End of Evangelion for the first time just a couple of days ago, and I'm planning on watching Eva 1.11 eventually.

My personal thoughts on them sort of revolve around 'if it's as good as it was the first time around, who cares if they're cashing in?'. I'm excited to watch it, but I have to set the time aside to do so.

Oh, and welcome back, TT.

Contributions

Yeah, I just watched the first of the four films, and I actually found myself enjoying it better than the first 5/6ish? episodes of Eva. But from what I read about the 2nd movie, it is definetly going to go it's own way in comparison to the series. So I might end up enjoying it more than the original (mainly because End of Evangelion was one hell of a let down for me personally), but if some of my most cherished moments of Evangelion are gone, then I'll be one sad camper.

Speaking of which, what did you think about End of Evangelion? I actually liked the TV ending better...

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Really? End of Evangelion freaking blew my mind. Then again, the TV ending did as well... but End of Eva was the biggest mindsmurf I've ever seen, and it left me completely stunned.

I guess I'm too much of a newbie to the series to be critical of it or cynical about it. I just really, really liked all of it.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I prefer the TV ending and basically tell people the movies are Anno's personal "middle finger" to the whiny fans who didn't get the original ending. Whether that's true or not is beside the point since Anno has so many weird rumors about him anyway and its fun messing with people....

On topic, I haven't seen them yet but I am a bit curious cause I love Evangelion, despite being so overexposed in the last 14 years. Damn, has it really been that long? Anyway... I'll have to check them out. I'm also waiting for the original manga adaption to finally be finished.

Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Momiji View Post
    Really? End of Evangelion freaking blew my mind. Then again, the TV ending did as well... but End of Eva was the biggest mindsmurf I've ever seen, and it left me completely stunned.

I guess I'm too much of a newbie to the series to be critical of it or cynical about it. I just really, really liked all of it.
    Yes, End of Eva was a mindsmurf haha, but not in a good way IMO. It, to me, crossed the line and made some of my most beloved characters reach absolute lows, Shinji being a prime example.. and that was only in the first minute of the movie.

And despite (SPOILER)Shinji rejecting Instrumentality in the movie, I found him to be stronger in the TV show where he was finally able to get over the "Hedgehog's dilemma" and be able to feel accepted by everyone.

I prefer the TV ending and basically tell people the movies are Anno's personal "middle finger" to the whiny fans who didn't get the original ending. Whether that's true or not is beside the point since Anno has so many weird rumors about him anyway and its fun messing with people....

On topic, I haven't seen them yet but I am a bit curious cause I love Evangelion, despite being so overexposed in the last 14 years. Damn, has it really been that long? Anyway... I'll have to check them out. I'm also waiting for the original manga adaption to finally be finished.
    I prefered the TV Ending as well, and by the way, I love the way that the manga adaption is heading. Some of it actually turned out to be a lot darker than the TV show, which granted, is quite a feat.

And yes, definetly check out the films. The first one was awesome, and I have a feeling that I'll get blown away whenever I get to see the second one, regardless of them adding a new character :Eek:

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I haven't seen this series in probably ten years, but at the time I was absolutely in love with it. I guess I'll have to re-watch it before I can even begin to be apart of this conversation, but I tend to agree with the 'if it's good, let the people earn their extra money' philosophy. I don't mind people milking things when they've earned it by creating something awesome.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpet Thief View Post

Yes, End of Eva was a mindsmurf haha, but not in a good way IMO. It, to me, crossed the line and made some of my most beloved characters reach absolute lows, Shinji being a prime example.. and that was only in the first minute of the movie.

And despite (SPOILER)Shinji rejecting Instrumentality in the movie, I found him to be stronger in the TV show where he was finally able to get over the "Hedgehog's dilemma" and be able to feel accepted by everyone.
    I personally liked (SPOILER)seeing Asuka rise up from her catatonic depressive state to go back to being a total badass before she gets absolutely mauled. She's my favorite character in the series, and I didn't like how the TV kind of left you hanging about her condition. As for Shinji... well, while I did enjoy the TV ending, I had always seen Shinji as someone who would eternally suffer from the 'Hedgehog's Dilemma', so seeing him so abruptly get over that was something I found to be sort of annoying.

I enjoyed the TV ending for its abstract execution, but End of Eva just had that absolutely insane imagery that left me simultaneously stunned and freaked out, something no anime has ever really done to me. (Example: (SPOILER)Giant Rei-Lilith forming female genitalia on her forehead with an eyeball inside it, and Shinji (in a red cross) pierces the eyeball; I think I repeated 'what the smurf' for at least 5 minutes after that scene)

Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpet Thief View Post

I personally liked (SPOILER)seeing Asuka rise up from her catatonic depressive state to go back to being a total badass before she gets absolutely mauled. She's my favorite character in the series, and I didn't like how the TV kind of left you hanging about her condition. As for Shinji... well, while I did enjoy the TV ending, I had always seen Shinji as someone who would eternally suffer from the 'Hedgehog's Dilemma', so seeing him so abruptly get over that was something I found to be sort of annoying.

I enjoyed the TV ending for its abstract execution, but End of Eva just had that absolutely insane imagery that left me simultaneously stunned and freaked out, something no anime has ever really done to me. (Example: (SPOILER)Giant Rei-Lilith forming female genitalia on her forehead with an eyeball inside it, and Shinji (in a red cross) pierces the eyeball; I think I repeated 'what the smurf' for at least 5 minutes after that scene)
    You know something that I never hear people complain about concerning EOE? (SPOILER)WHAT THE EFF HAPPENED TO REI MAN?! In a nutshell she died a bloody death, and that left me feeling hollow and depressed after. And then after, Shinji sees her for a split second and then she's gone, just like the beginning of the show, which btw was an awesome gesture, but still! She just... died! AHH

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Well, it is explained that (SPOILER)the effects of Instrumentality aren't permanent, as both Rei and Yui mention that people can restore themselves depending on the strength of their hearts. Perhaps Rei chose not to restore herself?

Contributions

Well that is just really depressing then haha. But of course, if it's the ending of Evangelion, something has to be sad, right?

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Personally, I don't believe either ending of Evangelion could be considered 'happy endings'.

Contributions

Personally, I don't believe either ending of Evangelion could be considered 'happy endings'.
    Haha I could describe the original TV ending as a "twisted happy ending". It was like... too much happiness to the point that it was forced? Making it depressing in that way haha.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Well, I saw the TV ending as (SPOILER)messed up and unfavorable because of the happiness-- I mean yeah, hi, it's cool that Shinji got over his 'Hedgehog's Dilemma', but what about the world and reality they left behind? What happened to everyone else?

I enjoyed the abstract execution of the TV series, but I see it as a negative ending because (SPOILER)nothing was resolved in reality; it seems that through Instrumentality, people became able to manipulate their own realities, shutting out all things they consider unfavorable-- which could be seen as a good thing I suppose, but I just saw it as incredibly bittersweet.

I don't really see why the endings must be exclusive honestly.

The first time watching this is how I interpreted both The TV and Movie endings.

The TV series ending was what was happening in Shinji's Mind as Instrumentality started. As all minds began converging, he was seeing all those he know's minds. The TV series showed, in a way the movie didn't, how Shinji began to accept himself and, in an odd sense, began opening up to others in the way the Movie didn't.

The Movie ending, however, was the reality of what was going on outside of Shinji's Mind. It gave the filan revelation to the motivations of Selene (I think that was their name) And Ikari, as the final stages of everyones plans were unfolding.

Both end in the same way, Shinji Rejecting the Instrumentality. Don't see how either ending contradicts the others actually.