Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Giant Robots!

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah, I wouldn't really count AoT to be a Robot show. I can see why some people might argue for it, but it doesn't really fit many of the tropes like say... Evangelion or Brain Powered. It's kind of it's own thing, but I would say the nature of Titans you see for most of the show fall into zombie territory, and even the transforming titan feels closer to a henshin show than a mecha one.

I've found a few shows I feel I need to check out sometime.

Panzer World Galiant
    Five Star Stories
    Turn A Gundam
    Brain Powered
    Armored Trooper VOTOMS
    Dai-Guard
    Space Runaway Ideon
    Giant Robo: The Day the Earth Stood Still
    Go Nagia's stuff.

Lately, I've been on a serious Front Mission kick, and I must say, I think it's the best Real Robot series I've checked out with the exception of maybe Patlabor. I've seen too many Real Robot series start dipping into Super Robot tropes (Gundam, Code Geass, Full Metal Panic) when they want to make it cooler. I've actually been reading some of the side story manga titles for Front Mission and they've been pretty good so far. I just wish I could find a translated version of the Zero Manga, which was the first story written for the franchise.

One other series I want to recommend for people is Dual! Parallel Trouble Adventure, which is an absolutely hilarious parody series written by the team that did Tenchi Muyo! and it's a better EVA parody than most. Highly recommend.

I have been wanting to check out the Super Robot Wars franchise. That and Ring of Red.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Shonen and seines aren’t genres! They’re target demographics! And all that really means is what magazine the manga gets published in. Which is why Death Note and Evangelion are considered shonen despite being way darker than you’d usually think shonen would be
    In the original Japanese meaning, that’s accurate. The words have developed new meaning when used by English speakers (and other languages too actually) and in this context colloquially describe certain tropes.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

I am mostly not that into this genre but I really enjoyed Eureka 7.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

The first Pacific Rim was a great movie version of this genre. It was all the best campy and fun. Giant robots vs Giant monsters. AWW YEAH (we don't acknowledge the second film, it was bad)

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I thoroughly enjoyed Pacific Rim. That was a neat flick. Anyone remember the old Battletech Cartoon?

Hell, for that matter, who remembers Exo-Squad?

I was not aware that Front Mission or Battletech ever received shows. Exo Squad was campy goodness though. I haven't seen it since its inception, but I remember adoring it at the time. Same with Big O. I rarely got a chance to see it, but I remember it being a fantastic mix of moods from Batman TAS and whatever good mech show you want to compare it to. Heavy Batman influence though, and for the better

Really dig a lot of these suggestions, and not a lot of them are foreign to me, I just never bothered to take the dive

Loved the first season of Attack on Titan, but decided to wait for the show to finish before going forward and have yet to pick it back up. Is it completed yet? I rarely pay attention anymore. My fiancee has played the Mosuo games, so I'm aware of a lot of spoilers, unfortunately. But doesn't really detract from the quality

FFXIV Character

Cattleya Paphia (Sargatanas)

Xabungle is a pretty interesting watch too. A relatively goofy endeavor from Tomino (especially early 80s Tomino), although it still has its fair share of tragedy.

Incidentally I think the director of Gurren Lagann said that Xabungle is one of his favorite mecha shows and an inspiration for him when he made Gurren Lagann

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Tomino always gets this bad rep of being ''doom and gloom'' but he's often made some pretty funny series as well.

So what does everyone consider to be some overrated Giant Robot properties and why?

I'd say Gundam, but that's probably a bit unfair, as I've only really seen Gundam Wing and the Unicorn one. I liked Wing at the time, but I was like 17, and even then I hated the whole teenager angle, and how emo Heero was, and he wasn't alone. I enjoyed the adult characters, and the quasi-adult storytelling, but looking back I know I'd cringe at almost every angle of it

And Unicorn had way too many convenient plot mcguffins for me to take serious. I stopped watching after 3 or 4 episodes

I think the only other one I've seen was whatever was on Toonami back in the day. 0080? I think? That one seemed alright, but I rarely caught it. With that being said, I know I've barely scratched the surface of the Gundam world, so I'm sure there's better stuff, and probably stuff I would actually enjoy in there somewhere.

I've yet to dive into Gurren Lagan because I knew someone who wouldn't shut up about it, and it drove me nuts and completely turned me off. So from my perspective it's overrated, but I've yet to actually check it out to verify. But from what I've seen in previews on Netflix, it looks extremely spazzy, so I would honestly wager it would grate on my nerves even if I hadn't already been turned off to it. But who knows. There's a lot of things on my backlog that look way more interesting to me, but I may get around to it someday

But sadly I haven't had the chance to taste test enough giant robots anime to really get a feel for what's out there, let alone to call out a bunch of specific ones for being bad and getting an undeserved good reputation. My opinion is completely biased and trash in this regard and I wholly admit that

FFXIV Character

Cattleya Paphia (Sargatanas)

Most overrated's an easy one for me, since I dislike Evangelion.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Gurren Lagann for me. It has it's amusing moments but I found it's over-the-top nature not as amusing as my peers. I had a lot of friends who were obsessed with it, but I could just never understand the appeal of it all. I own it and have never had a desire to watch it again after my first foray through the series.

My second choice would be MGS Zeta. Not a bad series per se, but definitely overrated by the fanbase. Not helped by the fact the writing is a bit poor in a lot of places. I never felt like Tomino was terribly great at juggling politics and interpersonal human conflict really well and Zeta shows it as the beginning is rough and hard to follow while Tomino throws in a few redo plot elements like Four who is a shameless expy of Lalah Sue who herself is not exactly the best part of the OG MGS if you ask me. None of which is helped by Kamille being an arrogant and impetuous child for like 80% of the series making him a real drag to watch.

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I am a bitch for Gundam Wing.

WING GUNDAM ZERO CUSTOM (ENDLESS WALTZ VERSION)!!

DUO!!! TROWA!!! HEERO!! QUATRE!!!

Wufei sux.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I still love Gundam Wing, and funnily enough, it was my mother's favorite anime that I got her to watch. She would watch the whole series like once a year.

I feel it's aged better than some other Gundam franchises. The sequel manga feels like a train wreck though. G Gundam was also stupid fun.

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

watched the original gundam movies a few months back cause they're on netflix
    started gundam zeta
    the goal was to get through EVERYTHIng but like
    there's a lot
    i also went through all of iron blooded orphans but i didn't really like most of it lol
    probably wouldn't enjoy wing as much now either but still epic moments
    i will continue with zeta just need to find the time

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    I still love Gundam Wing, and funnily enough, it was my mother's favorite anime that I got her to watch. She would watch the whole series like once a year.

I feel it's aged better than some other Gundam franchises. The sequel manga feels like a train wreck though. G Gundam was also stupid fun.
    There is a SEQUEL manga? What did I miss? What is it called?