Thread: Do you think we'll ever see a more traditional style of ATB in the mainline FF series

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Do you think we'll ever see a more traditional style of ATB in the mainline FF series

What it says on the tin. And by traditional, I mean FFV-IX style ATB. Why or why not?

I'd like to believe we will,but the current culture at SE seems to be against this.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I think the closest we might ever get is something similar to ADB, as it seems like FFVIIR kinda flirted with that? But other than that I expect things to stay real time action at this point

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

If we got the exact same play system as FFVIIR I could live happy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I do not see SE ever returning to putting that combat system in the mainline series, no. At this point the semi-action battle systems have become part of the series' modern identity and they wouldn't risk alienating their new fans in favor of a return to roots. That's the role spinoff titles can take.

FFVIIR is the best implementation of action RPG based combat that still retains clear recognizable ATB elements. I would like an actual return to traditional ATB,but more games in the FFVIIR style would be a welcome compromise.

FFXIV Character

Cattleya Paphia (Sargatanas)

I doubt it, but "ever" is a long time so who knows

I for one don't lament ATB fading into obscurity, to me it's the worst part of FF5-9, as well as the worst FF combat system (yeah that includes the XIII trilogy )

Dragon Quest is where SE hems to tradition and Final Fantasy is where they continually push forward. At this point, I’ve resigned myself to such. Any FF nostalgia efforts will probably be on the nose like Octopath Traveller. I suppose efforts like FFIV After Years and DS 3D conversions are on the table as well. SE loves reselling classic ports.
    Knock yourselves down.

FFXIV Character

Cheese Cocteautwins (Lamia)

Yeah, as others have said, I think the system in FF7R is what will be the closest thing to ATB that SquareEnix uses for future mainline FF titles.

I too am wanting a more traditional turn-based or ATB system. Gambits and auto-scripts/commands like in FF12 and 15 are alright, but I want to feel like I'm truly controlling the whole party. FF16 is even more concerning b/c early footage (I know, SUPER early footage) showed no partymates at all...
    - Dr. Cheesesteak