Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best female role model in in gaming

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Relm Best female role model in in gaming

We tend to talk about the marginalized nature of female leads in gaming, so who are some of the leading ladies people here consider to be great role models and why?

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Samus comes to mind. I don't know if she's a great role model since her games don't focus a lot on characterization or story. But she does represent a somewhat ideal state in that the fact that she is a woman does not force the usage of certain stereotypes or have a big impact on what she can do. Your effectiveness in hunting space pirates is not determined by your gender, and the games make this very clear because she is a badass.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles
    Blog Entries

Dana from Ys VIII definitely comes to mind immediately.

Aloy from Horizon Zero Dawn. Her natural inquisitiveness and willingness to question authority, which lead to her gaining a comfort level with technology that is uncommon in her world and eventually to finding the answers she seeks.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Oh yeah, Aloy is a fantastic example.

FFXIV Character

Cattleya Paphia (Sargatanas)

I guess it sort of depends on what makes a great role model. It's easy enough to think of a couple of invincible badasses who go one-woman-army on everything in their path while being either silent/stoic or cracking jokes (Samus, Lara Croft, Bayonetta), who are a role model in the aspect of being empowering like that.

Personally, while I am not a lady and therefore can't very well say what is or is not a great role model for ladies, I'm gonna shout-out Estelle from Trails in the Sky, who's just a great role model in general
    Like any other main character she stands up to whatever's in her path, but she's also a big positive influence on people around her, can be kind and caring, and knows when to rely on others because she's not infallible (but she is plenty capable of holding her own and shutting people down when they're wrong)

Jade - Beyond Good and Evil. For a lot of the same reasons Aloy is a good character. Not godly or anything. Just generally a good person who gets the job done

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

Del Murder
    Samus comes to mind. I don't know if she's a great role model since her games don't focus a lot on characterization or story. But she does represent a somewhat ideal state in that the fact that she is a woman does not force the usage of certain stereotypes or have a big impact on what she can do. Your effectiveness in hunting space pirates is not determined by your gender, and the games make this very clear because she is a badass.
    She's changed over the years, but I did like her personality in the early days. As a kid there weren't as many women who weren't damsels. Things like this made her stand out, even if it is campy. It was aimed at kids, so campy is good.

There are pretty fair amount of invincible badass ladies, and strong warrior lady archetypes nowadays.

I don't know about the absolute best rolemodel, and she's in an RPG so she's one of the main characters, but I've always liked Pascal from Tales of Graces. She's very intelligent, driven, kind, and does her own thing. They didn't make her perfect, and so she's not good with social cues. She's a good character, and has good qualities to look up to.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I'm trying to think of the best example from the FF series. There have been a lot of great female characters--Rydia, Faris, Celes, Rikku (X only), Ashe come to mind--but I don't know if any of them were particularly great role models. I guess I would go with Rydia since she had a complete arc of being a 'damsel' (in a sense) needing saving to the one doing the saving.

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    I'm trying to think of the best example from the FF series. There have been a lot of great female characters--Rydia, Faris, Celes, Rikku (X only), Ashe come to mind--but I don't know if any of them were particularly great role models. I guess I would go with Rydia since she had a complete arc of being a 'damsel' (in a sense) needing saving to the one doing the saving.
    Princess Garnet follows a pretty good story arch, imo. She's sheltered and naive, but still sees the change in her mother. Initially she just wants to escape, but grows to want to protect her people and be a leader they deserve. So she also develops more independence, confidence, etc.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Max Caulfield from Life is Strange is one of my favorites. She could do all kinds of wicked stuff with time travel but she just wanna help her girl Chloe find her girl Rachel.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

What would you guys say defines a good role model in a video game? Someone people should be like? I mean, people can be dainty and that's okay, so long as they're still not an asshole. You can say all four of Lightning, Serah, Vanille and Fang could be good role models in that regard. I don't actually know many female assholes. Or does it require being "not defined by your gender" which in itself is sort of an oxymoron, because we're discussing people as defined by their gender in this very thread.

I guess you could say that mature, understanding, tolerant, humble, confident people could be seen as good role models? The more different characters I look at when going through a list of female names, the more I realise I don't even know what a role model is. I guess we can at least say GLaDOS isn't the best role model, and Lara Croft isn't the worst.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    I guess you could say that mature, understanding, tolerant, humble, confident people could be seen as good role models?
    Probably this defines a good role model (and I would add kind) in a general sense. As I applied this question, I didn't think so much about 'role models' but more about examples with strong and admirable female characters that did not fall into the stereotypes that commonly occur when men write female characters (damsel in distress, abnormally large breasts, only there to support male characters, etc.). I think the FFXIII female cast works there, I just didn't care for them that much.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

I would say, a good role model, who so happens to be female.

The only one I can think of that hasn't already been mentioned is Seth from Lost Odyssey.