Thread: Hard gaming challenges you've grimly accepted you won't win

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Default Hard gaming challenges you've grimly accepted you won't win

Beating Sephiroth in the first Kingdom Hearts is just something I'll never do. It's not in the cards for me.

What's a super boss, secret dungeon, or minigame you gave up on?

I'd like to yeet the endgame 15 dungeon out of existence.

I just don't have the mix of patience/coordination to jump rope in 9.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Being good at PvP in any Souls game. I'll likely never replay any entry enough times to reach their final NG+ mode either.

Being good at fighting games, I'm not bad, but I don't have the love and tenacity anymore for the genre to ever be as good as my friends.

I'll second FFIX's jump rope minigame. Just doesn't seem worth it.

Finishing any of the stupidely hard modes in a DMC game. I tried for the first game, but I've never felt the need to bother afterwards.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

Don't get mad, get moist I Don't Need A Name's Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Howie Kipps (Sargatanas)

Refighting Organization 13 at the Cavern of Remembrance. I probably could do it if I decided to be tenacious enough to work at it but I've long since decided it's not worth my time and effort to slog through. I cheesed the Lingering Will battle just because it's a BBS tie in and wanted to see what happened when you won (100% not worth it) but wasn't gonna push to fight the other super hard bosses.
    I made one myself for a change! Although you can probably tell that..

Articles
    Blog Entries

Competitive games in general, really. I just don't enjoy the process of learning, training and competing in them enough.

I don't think I'll ever play Touhou games on Lunatic difficulty. Not that it's outright impossible but it's too much of a time/motivation sink to learn the patterns and stages all over again and I think I'm pretty content having beat them on Normal difficulty.

The velvet attendants in Persona 3/4/5. I'm sure I could beat them given the opportunity, but the fact that they're locked to NG+ means I prolly won't ever get there.

Jump rope minigame in FFIX same. I competed in it for an EoFF tournament once and that was the most I ever played of it, and I'd rather not play it again in lifetime. At least it knows better than to lock any ultimate weapon components behind getting 1000 jumps *cough*

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I stick to fighting games offline, as well.

I'm a Tekken and Soul Calibur guy. I like the characters and the thin story you can get either through story mode or short videos at the end of arcade mode.

It's also a nice bonus when you can play side games like bowling.

I don't play competitively. I'm fine with challenging the computer on easy mode. I wouldn't say I button mash, but I definitely don't learn combos with any reliability.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I’m honestly struggling to come up with something original, but other than the FFIX jump rope nothing really comes up. I did ragequit Diablo II because the final battle was so incredibly unfair, but I’m not sure if that counts since it’s not usually considered super hard lol

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

See I was having a similar issue because there are a few challenges I did stop at, but I do want to go back and check them out. Like I still want to take out the Data Org. XIII members and Lingering Sentiment. Hell most of the KH superbosses I still plan on tackling at some point.

Actually, getting to max level in an RPG where it's not already easy to do so. I remembering grinding in a few FFs for max levels and it's just not worth it. Forget about games like DQ and Breath of Fire where levels become useless past the fifty mark. Like you can gain five levels after the fifty mark and not get any kind of stat increase.

A lot of gaming challenges I very quickly accept I won't won and move on. It would only be grimly if I sunk a lot of time into it or it was actually necessary to advance 8n a game I'd enjoyed up to that point. I guess some of the FFX weapon challenges count for me, but I never card that much. Still kind of annoyed about the lightning bolts because I got over 100, but no way I was starting freaking over again. I barely even tried the jumprope mini-game, so I won't count that. I pretty quickly wrote that off as "not for me" and that was without even knowing the insane number you need to win it.

FFIV grinding to max level REALLY isn't worth it, because I think past 70 or 80 or something, you can start randomly losing stats at level up. You're best off just quitting around 70. Probably won't get much better than that anyway.
    Last edited by Lord Golbez; 02-14-2021 at 03:05 AM.