Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best and Worst Overworld map themes.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

*yawn* Best and Worst Overworld map themes.

I'm only going to count games with a distinct over world map and not games with a scaled world so only like the first nine FF games would count. What do you consider to be some of the best themes and which are some of the worst?

Don't get mad, get moist I Don't Need A Name's Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Howie Kipps (Sargatanas)

I'll start with the obvious then:
    Final Fantasy VII - I think this is the overworld theme with the most impact thanks to spending so long in Midgar that going out into the outside world is such a huge moment, and the music really fits the world perfectly.

My personal favourite is Final Fantasy IX but with this entry I always felt that I didn't hear the music enough. I always got in a battle too quickly, or to my destination, or onto a Chocobo. And then the bug in the rereleases that makes the song start again after every battle etc means you really don't hear it enough now!
    I made one myself for a change! Although you can probably tell that..

VII's Main Theme is probably the best, closely followed by Crossing Those Hills and Blue Fields, both of which are very good for different reasons. Oh, and Lost Odyssey's is very good as well. As for worst... I dunno, worst is difficult, Overworld themes tend to be pretty strong. I'd expect it to be from something like FFXII or XIII but the concept of the Overworld map was pretty much dead by then, so I got nothing.

FFXIV Character

Cattleya Paphia (Sargatanas)

Even picking a handful of "best" overworld themes is hard for me.
    Including games where you don't actually manually walk on the overworld, but it is a distinct overworld with its own theme (you just select locations instead of walking across them manually)

- Chrono Cross' four overworld themes are all top notch, though my favorite of them is Shore of Dreams (aka Dreams of the Shore Near Another World)
    - All the Wild Arms games' overworld themes, hard to say which one among these I like most, probably either 1 or 3.
    - Golden Sun 1 and 2, my preference being GS2's second overworld theme (Marching Forward with Determination)
    - Ni No Kuni 1 and 2
    - All the Ar Tonelico games and Ar nosurge (preference here probably goes to Ar nosurge's "Green Lands for Ar nosurge")
    - Legend of Dragoon (second world map theme in particular)
    - Lost Oyssey as well, as Fox mentioned.

As for worst..I agree that it's a tough one because overworld themes tend to be good even among otherwise mediocre/bad soundtracks. Like even Dragon Quest 11's world map theme isn't something I'd actually call bad, though it's probably the worst one I can think of right now.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by WarZidane View Post
    - Chrono Cross' four overworld themes are all top notch, though my favorite of them is Shore of Dreams (aka Dreams of the Shore Near Another World)
    Yep, one of my favorite tracks ever! I walked down the isle at my wedding to this song.

FFVI's WoB theme is also one of my favorites.

I can't think of any least favorites, probably because they were not memorable enough.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Best - FFVII world map theme, Terra, Searching for Friends, Suikoden World Map theme (first and second games at least).

Worst - BoF III is some troutty elevator music, but I kind of dig it, so not sure. Actually Dragon Quest is pretty bad, but not sure if that should count because of how old it is. Still, if you compare first FF to first DQ, the difference in music is significant. Honestly, the games with the worst world map music probably just have music that isn't very memorable so I won't think of it unless someone else brings it up maybe.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I deeply love Lost Odyssey's. I frequently find myself whistling it.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Golbez View Post
    Best - FFVII world map theme, Terra, Searching for Friends, Suikoden World Map theme (first and second games at least).

Worst - BoF III is some troutty elevator music, but I kind of dig it, so not sure. Actually Dragon Quest is pretty bad, but not sure if that should count because of how old it is. Still, if you compare first FF to first DQ, the difference in music is significant. Honestly, the games with the worst world map music probably just have music that isn't very memorable so I won't think of it unless someone else brings it up maybe.
    Wait, are you saying the FIRST DQ has bad world map music? Or in general?

Even DQ1's world map theme is actually quite good

Best: Dragonquest VIII (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cU1OxBdlFdE). This is one of my favorite pieces of video game music. It was an overwhelmingly HUGE world to explore when it came out on PS2 and it blew my mind. And even though it wasn't really what we would call "open world" by modern standards, it felt like it was partially because the music was so dope.

Worst: Dragonquest XI. This might not actually be the worst I've ever experienced, but it's the freshest in my memory. Thankfully you can change out the Overworld theme for DQVIII's I wish they let you do the same with the battle theme.

It's unfortunate that Sugiyama is such a tool. I try to ignore it :/

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Spuuky View Post
    Even DQ1's world map theme is actually quite good
    I know which is why I asked. It’s hard for me to believe someone could be annoyed with such a relaxing tune, but people have different opinions! Just needed to know if I understood well

Quote Originally Posted by I Took the Red Pill View Post
    Worst: Dragonquest XI. This might not actually be the worst I've ever experienced, but it's the freshest in my memory. Thankfully you can change out the Overworld theme for DQVIII's I wish they let you do the same with the battle theme.

It's unfortunate that Sugiyama is such a tool. I try to ignore it :/
    The moment in post-game when it switches to the DQ3 overworld rules though

And yeah it sucks that Sugiyama is an absolute trash human being, but so it goes.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Best:
    Chronomantique ~ Chrono Cross
    Fields of Time ~ Chrono Cross
    Terra ~ FFVI
    Main Theme of FFVII ~ FFVII
    Over the Hill ~ FFIX
    Memories of Green ~ Chrono Trigger
    Yearnings of the Wind ~ Chrono Trigger
    Corridors of Time ~ Chrono Trigger
    World of Mana ~ Legend of Mana
    World Map Last Area ~ Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne
    Map II ~ Persona 2: Eternal Punishment
    Memories of the City ~ Persona 3

Least Favorite
    Blue Fields ~ FFVIII
    Four Valiant Hearts ~ FFV
    Rhythm of Wind, Sky, and Fire ~ Chrono Trigger
    I'm sure there are more...

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Golbez View Post

Wait, are you saying the FIRST DQ has bad world map music? Or in general?
    I was just talking about the first one. As to why, it's pretty monotonous and basic. I wouldn't go so far as to say it's annoying but very lackluster. Even making allowances for the era, there are better overworld theme examples from that generation, like Legend of Zelda and FF.