Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FFXVI will have a Story Mode for fans who are bad at action games.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Eureka! FFXVI will have a Story Mode for fans who are bad at action games.

Yoshida did a recent interview for a Japanese radio station and someone over at Siliconera gave a rough translation.

Naoki Yoshida said the game would feature a story mode that gives players access to special support skills and abilities that will allow them to get through the game sections easier so they can just enjoy the story of the game.

Likewise, he said he hoped to for the story to “create a world within the Final Fantasy universe that those who understand the complexities and realities of good and bad can be excited for.”

Likewise one of the themes of the games if the hardship and experiences of becoming an adult.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Good, games should always have options like this as well as hard modes for those who like a challenge.

I can see one scenario where I'd use it: the gameplay is such a boring drudge fest that I simply can't be bothered anymore and want to see how it plays out

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

They kind of did something like that for Nier Automata, didn’t they? Can’t see myself using it but it’s definitely a good trend to keep alive

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

It makes total sense to me, give players the option of how they want to experience the game.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

I'm glad we were considered, LOL.
    Last edited by sigrid94; 02-10-2024 at 03:16 PM.

ill be honest: my first playthroughs of long-awaited games have usually been on Easy (or Very Easy, hello MGS) difficulty just so i could cart through to see what the plot was, so i appreciate this kind of thing (hard mode second playthrough tho)

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I've only ever gone back and played through hard mode in the Kingdom Hearts games. Otherwise, I just play on Normal difficulty. I may have played some Fire Emblem games on Hard difficulty at the start because that series tends to get ridiculously easy after you build up your units.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

since it is about hardship, will we see someone die? like a certain flower girl from previous game ?
    Might as well visit my blog

Articles
    Blog Entries

I suppose if they keep up their copyright claiming, this is likely their attempt at making people who don't pay for the game but watch Let's Plays of it, into people who do pay for the game and play on story mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Karifean View Post
    I suppose if they keep up their copyright claiming, this is likely their attempt at making people who don't pay for the game but watch Let's Plays of it, into people who do pay for the game and play on story mode.
    Are they hitting Youtubers and Twitch streamers? I wonder how I'd never heard of it if so. Nintendo and Atlus both showed their ass in that regard years ago, Nintendo moreso than others. And I never miss a chance to chastise them for it. I will add Square Enix to my black list of companies I rant about as a crotchety old man. Their London division is deplorable and I will never forgive them for closing down the studio that made Sleeping Dogs, or the crap they forced on Deus Ex behind the developers back, after it was finished. I've always thought the Japanese branch was just out of touch about what fans want with their mainline series. Like any Japanese studio. Similar to Capcom with Resident Evil. But if they're being vindictive to content creators, that deserves some ire

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I think they just misunderstand half their playerbase's dislike of action combat systems. SE think the problem is people don't like it because they may not be good at it, so put in a story mode and those people will be happy. The real problem is there's a lot of people that just don't like the system in general, with no concern over how easy or hard it is.

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Not me. I pwnz Dark Soul and have super fast reflex. U N00Bz can go play in Baby mode. Remember to get your parents' consent before playing.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I play pretty much every game on the normal mode as I see that as a sign that it's "as it was intended to be played". Once I'm done with that, on rare occasions I'll play it again on easy/hard modes for the sake of achievements, if I like the game enough and have the time. Mostly though once I'm done with a game, I leave it and move on to the next one, with some few exceptions I'll play regularly (FFXIV, AOE2) with friends, or occasionally replay if they have variation (Roguelikes, Football Manager, games with multiple endings that I want to check out).
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I tend to play on easier modes if rewards aren't effected.

It's all about balance, though. You don't want it to be too easy that you can just button mash to victory, but you don't want it to be too hard that you pull your hair out decisively dodging enemy attacks.

It varies by game, I guess.

If the middle difficulty option is normal, I might pick that. But if the middle option says "moderate", I might be spooked into picking the easier one lol.

Default Spot on

Quote Originally Posted by theundeadhero View Post
    I think they just misunderstand half their playerbase's dislike of action combat systems. SE think the problem is people don't like it because they may not be good at it, so put in a story mode and those people will be happy. The real problem is there's a lot of people that just don't like the system in general, with no concern over how easy or hard it is.
    I really think this hits the nail on the head for those of us in our 30s. Glad I'm not the only one! I mean we grew up with FF6 through FF10... These, by gameplay mode, were RPGs. The newer games are a completely new gameplay genre that I just don't prefer. I'm always holding out hope that, with the awesome variety of RPG-"allied" genres that SE explores--both new and retro--they just MIGHT give us a mainline (or close to it) FF that is a menu-and-battle RPG again When pigs fly, right?
    Current: Final Fantasy VI (finally!)

Completed: Final Fantasy, FFII, FFIII, FFIV, FFIV Interlude, FFIV The After Years,
    FFV, Secret of Mana, FFVII, FFX