Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FFXVI will have a Story Mode for fans who are bad at action games.

FFXIV Character

Kaladin Cho'Sinn (Sargatanas)

My problem is not even the transition from turn-based or other slower traditions rpg systems to the hyperactive action system but that their(SE’s anything FF or FF-esque like Harvestella) systems have been straight trout. They’re not hard, they’re trout. There are a lot of different ways to introduce difficulty to a game system (inflated enemy hp, complicated timing mechanisms, etc.), but the combination of elements they seem to have settled on the last decade are just not fun to me at all. Every version of the “break” system they’ve done is total trout. I don’t know why they’re so hung up on this idea, but it’s tiresome. Perhaps I wouldn’t feel this way if there weren’t so many really thoughtful, appealing, and challenging-in-a-good-way systems out there in other games, but I guess it is what it is.

ALL THAT to say that if the story didn’t look like, as Del put it, “generic medieval” tripe, I might like the idea of have a story mode like this so I don’t have to deal with an annoying combat system. But here’s to hoping this iteration of the combat is more enjoyable and story mode is moot.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm in agreement that SE isn't great with action games. Most of them tend to be flashy with no substance or awkward mechanics that add fake difficulty to the experience.

I'm hoping that XVI will prove me wrong though, seeing as the combat designer is coming from the DMC franchise, but we'll see if the higher ups from SE might screw this up by imposing nonsense to the design. Still, the fact the game is going to have an easy mode for people bad at action game is promising, but sadly it sounds a bit like Neir: Automata's design where they just beef you up with items, meaning the gameplay may still be so-so.

Still, we won't know until we play it.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Personally I don't really enjoy DMC/Bayonetta style gameplay so I'm just hoping for more of the same if that's the other option! xD I enjoyed FFVII Remake's gameplay, so I'd be happy enough with that.

I would definitely like more RPG than Action game but a little mixing isn't too bad so long as it's not giving up the RPG side entirely.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Quote Originally Posted by Christmas View Post
    Not me. I pwnz Dark Soul and have super fast reflex. U N00Bz can go play in Baby mode. Remember to get your parents' consent before playing.
    Yup.