Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fighting games

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Default fighting games

guilty gear strive just came out and it looks great but i suck at fighting games
    so now trying to get back into the older gg games
    anyone into any fighting games?

tekkens are fun

soul caliburs too

i started with battle arena toshinden lol, which sucks i guess but it has a special place in my heart

fave chars? anyone play gg xrd 2rev on steam at all?

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I played a lot of Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter back in the day, but other than casually playing SSB, not really recently. The mid 90s were a real golden age for fighting games.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

I would consider a fighting game that was more strategic and less about optimizing physical inputs.

Used to play the trout out of Soul Blade and Tekken 3 with my cousins, also played 4 and 5 a lot back then. I've played a bit of Smash Bros. every now and then too, but besides that fighting games aren't really my thing, though I have been considering getting back into Tekken.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Spuuky View Post
    I would consider a fighting game that was more strategic and less about optimizing physical inputs.
    So Dissidia?

I was a huge Street Fighter nerd back in the day. SFII, III, and the Alpha series were my jam. I also played a bit of MK but quit at III because they removed all the guys I played (Reptile/Scorpion). I also got big into Guilty Gear in the early days but quit around the time of Access Core because I wasn't in love with some of the balancing changes and by then I met all my tournament grade friends who steamrolled me every time we played. I also played Soul Calibur 2, DOA2, and Tekken 2 back in the day, but I've never enjoyed 3D fighters as much.

I also tried to get into BlazBlue but just never got a feel for it. Same with SFIV. I need to give SFV another go, especially since a lot of characters I liked playing as are finally getting put back in.

I also played an unhealthy amount of Dissidia back in the day. I recently got the NT version and should probably check it out since I only played the demo and was a bit put off. I suck as SSB so please don't ask.

FFXIV Character

Cattleya Paphia (Sargatanas)

I'm not really into fighting games these days because I don't like competing online in them, but back in the day I played Killer Instinct, Tekken 3, Street Fighter 2 and some others.

That said, there have been a couple of fighting games with enough single player content to keep me interested a while. I was really into Soul Calibur 2, and I like Blazblue for its robust story modes and kickass music.

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spuuky View Post
    You might like to try Hellish Quart. It's being likened to a modern Bushido Blade.

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

most fighters are about space control imo (street fighter and gg for sure are). it doesn't seem like it once people know moves, but even then it's all about spacing away from the opponent. (i have been watching too many youtube tutorials lol)

i saw that quart game, it looks neat. lots of throwbacks to old polish movies in the character designs

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

My main experience in terms of actually playing the games are the Tekken and Soul series, playing up to five of the former (though I think I'm sure I have, and tried out Tekken 6 and four of the latter (though I'm sure I have, and may or may not have tried out Soul Calibur V, and I haven't played SC1 as I regrettably never owned a Dreamcast, but I seen it and like what I see.)

The first Tekken hasn't aged very well in my opinion, and while Tekken 4 (which I don't own) has clever moments, it feels like the beta version of Tekken 5 to me (which I admittedly played first of the two), especially in Story Mode, which while T4 had more imaginative Story Mode moments, very few characters actually had a "true" Story Mode like in T5 (where there's story within the gameplay, where the characters talk to each other before fighting.)

Tekken 3 is a fun nostalgic game for me, and I'm sure it was the first game I was waiting for (like reading about it as it was being produced for the PlayStation, though of course I'd seen it in action in the Arcades), but I think my favorite is Tekken 2, despite it being dated and simplistic compared to Tekken 3 onwards - it's ultimately the most nostalgic to me, and for what it stands that game is a Tekken game to me (even going as far as saying that if I ever made a Tekken Movie, it would be that game I'd base it on.)

The Soul series always seemed a step or so ahead of Tekken for me (with the exception on Tekken 5, possibly) as it incorporated the storyline better (I know that's not always important to everyone.) I love the various Story Modes/Adventure Modes (Edge Master Mode, Tales of Souls...) for their games. I even attempted to write what my own Soul game would be on the fanon section of the Soul Calibur wiki - the gameplay basically being SCIV with SCIII style game play and Story Mode thrown in - with elements of what came before included as well, I think.

I have Bushido Blade and like the idea of it. I have been trying to get (the mostly superior looking, in my opinion) Bushido Blade 2 for years now, though I have seen pretty much all of it online.

While I've only played a demo of the second game, back in my early days of PlayStation, 2019 gave me a new appreciation for the Toshinden series, due to checking it out online, and I love the series now. I especially love Toshinden 3 due to the way it handled giving each character their own personal sub-boss (like how the early Tekken games did) - I love how, rather than simply being storyline related to the starter characters (which some of them still are) they are written as being literal contrasts to the main characters, like their storylines have the same theme, but they contrast with each other in someway (and there's more to it with how the characters are designed) - I love that idea, and it inspires me. I think it's really awesome how well they thought of this idea...

I have Mortal Kombat Trilogy and like it, but I suck at it (and this is one of the few times will I blame the game, as it's basically stuck on hard mode whatever you set it as - like it always does what is good against your attack, or seems to...)

Street Fighter is okay, and obviously a classic, but I'm not that into them (yet?)

Articles
    Blog Entries

Main fighting game in my life was Tekken, having played all of them except Tekken 7 at some point or another. I never really thought of them in the vein of "Tekken 3 was the best" or anything, they just kept iterating more and more and there was never much of a reason to go back to an earlier one. Looking back I probably had the most fun times with Tekken 5, but I feel no need to get back into the games.

The other big fighting game for me was Golden Fantasia, or Ougon Musou Kyoku, the Umineko fighting game. After realizing it existed, I had to get it, but of course, I had absolutely no one to play it with, so I just grinded at the singleplayer forever until I could beat the secret ultra hard bonus boss without so much as taking a hit. Eventually it came out on Steam and I had fun actually playing against other humans for a bit but that was also around the time I stopped playing those kinds of games in general. It remains the most fun fighting game I've played overall and I would wholeheartedly recommend it if you have someone else to get into it with.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Used to be top 3 in my state for Tekken. 2020 was my year to return to the fgc, but COVID happened. I hate you so much.

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

I usually don't ever go further than 1-2 or 2-2 at locals. I have fun, but I'm not great.
    Last edited by sharkythesharkdogg; 03-03-2021 at 07:57 PM. Reason: dislexic with my numbers

FFXIV Character

Cheese Cocteautwins (Lamia)

Yep, I play a lot of them, but pretty casually, as I'm usually too scatterbrained between FGs to really focus on one to truly get good at. I'm sort of taking a break now til Strive comes out (it isn't out yet. What you thought was "out" was the beta), but I hop on SFV occasionally or just do some relaxing labbing in KI or Skullgirls. I only play FGs w/ rollback, so thank goodness ASW is implementing it w/ Strive.
    - Dr. Cheesesteak