Thread: What order did you play the series in?

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Chocobo What order did you play the series in?

What it says on the tin. What order did you actually play the series. It's okay if you've never finished an entry.

Depends on what you mean.

Final Fantasy - The first that I played any part of. I rented it and played up to a little past getting the ship.

FFIV - second I played and first I completed.

FFVI - third I played and second I completed.

FFVII - fourth played, third completed.

FFVIII - fifth played, fourth completed (honorable mention to FFT which I played and completed between 7 and 8).

It gets a little murky from here. At some point in the time period between 8-10 or maybe 8-12, I played and completed FFV on emulator, I completed FFI on FF Origins, I played FF2 on both emulator and FF Origins but didn't complete either time, and I played FF3 on emulator but didn't complete it. I'm only sure that FFV was the first of the emulator games I played. The rest I don't know.

Aside from that

FFIX - played and completed
    FFX - played and completed
    FFXII - played and completed
    FFXIII - played, not completed
    FFXV - played, not completed.

Articles
    Blog Entries

VII was my first, followed by VIII and X though I didn't complete either of them until quite a bit later. X-2, XII, XIII and XIII-2 I all got and immediately completed around time of their release I believe. I got IX off the PS3 store around the same time and completed that. I also got VI there but immediately dropped it a couple minutes in for the Advance version instead, which I completed, followed by V Advance and IV Advance each separated by about a year. I started LR, Type-0, Tactics, XV and XIV each for a single session once but dropped them right after. While on the other hand, eventually I just up and bought Chrono Trigger on Steam and finished it in like 2 days.

I started with FFVI, then with FFIV and FFI since theese three were the ones we had home when I was young. After that, I've been quite a few years without playing and I'm not sure of the order. I think it was something like this:

FFVII
    FFIX
    FFX / X-2
    FFXIII Trilogy
    FFVII Crisis Core
    FFXV
    FFVIII
    FFXII
    FFV
    FFVIIR
    Last edited by Shiva95; 03-01-2021 at 12:52 PM.

FFXIV Character

Cattleya Paphia (Sargatanas)

Think it was pretty much this order, might be wrong on some in the middle though:

Mystic Quest - During SNES era, first FF (as it was the only one that made it to Europe), didn't finish
    VIII
    VII
    VI
    IV
    IX
    X
    V
    I
    II
    III - didn't finish until way later

And then pretty much the order they release in, with the exception of XI which I couldn't play at first because it needed a credit card which I didn't have at the time, I played that..somewhere between XII and XIII I'm pretty sure.

Didn't include spin-offs because apart from the ones I played when they released I honestly couldn't tell you when I played them.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

As far as my memory goes:

VII, VIII, IX, X, V, IV, VI, I, TA, II, X-2, XII, III, XIII, XIII-2, LR, T, XV, VIIR.

There was a real golden age from 2002-2003 where I went from X to II. It's not a coincidence that it's when I joined EoFF - I think when I joined I was playing FFX and FFV at the same time.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

The first game I played with 'Final Fantasy' in the title was The Final Fantasy Legend. The first numbered entry I played was either FFI or FFIV. I'm pretty sure I gave FFI a try first but never beat it since it was very hard.

1. FFI
    2. FFIV
    3. FFVI
    After that I played them in order of release in the US (other than XI), which I believe is:
    4. FFVII
    5. FFVIII
    6. FFV (Anthology)
    7. FFIX
    8. FFII (Origins)
    9. FFX
    10. FFXII
    11. FFIII (DS)
    12. Somewhere in 2006 I started FFXI, no clue if it was before or after XII or III.
    13. FFXIII
    14. FFXV

For the Tactics games and the sequels, I also played them whenever they came out. Except for FFXIII:LR or FFVIIC, never bothered with those.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

VII
    VIII
    V
    IX
    I
    II
    X
    X-2
    VI
    XIII
    XIII-2
    XIV
    XI
    IV
    Tactics
    XII
    XV
    XIII: LR
    III

Don't get mad, get moist I Don't Need A Name's Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Howie Kipps (Sargatanas)

VII
    IX
    VI
    IV
    V
    I
    II
    VIII
    X
    X-2
    XII
    XIII
    FFVII:CC
    XIII-2
    XIII: LR
    XIV
    XV
    I made one myself for a change! Although you can probably tell that..

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

FFVII - couldn't figure out that I had to help Jesse get her leg unstuck
    FFVIII
    FFX
    FFVII - finally past the bombing mission
    FFIX
    FFX-2
    FFIV
    FFIII - didn't finish
    FFXII
    Crisis Core
    FFVI
    FFXIII
    FFV
    FFXIII-2
    FFXIV
    FFXV
    FFI
    FFII
    FFIII - currently trying to finish this one, then I'll have done all the main numbered entries!

VII - saw my mate playing, i think i played a bit. we played through the bombing mission and maybe a bit of the slums i think. we added smurf to the end of character names, so cloudsmurf, tifasmurf, etc. was really badass and cool thingto do and i sometimes still do it VIII - demo, came with a magazine, played hell out of it VIII - my first, and it got it on release day (rare for me then, too poor, just bought the platinum games) i remember it being pretty super hyped in the magazines. i didn't have internet then. IX X maybe X-2 maybe XII (somewhere between X and 12 I got internet access, and all those tasty ROMs, {psy is a lamoid} so its when I would have played the other numbered games. i didnt play them all and i only completed VI, V and maybe IV. no idea on the actual timeline.) XIII - i dont remember if i played XII-2, as i was having tons of seizures at around this point, lmao. i think i played but never completed. XV - played this really recently edit: i broke the formatting on this post and i wont fix it. LOL. no one will read it even tho it contains a secret message

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Here is the order my kids have played the FF games with me:

1. FFVII Remake
    2. FFXV
    3. FFXII TZA (will be starting soon)

The plan is to play through the voice acted games first until they can read it for themselves. I may skip FFXIII since I don't want to relive that again... but FFXII TZA then FFX/X-2 should be fun. After that I may jump back to the start of the series to go up to FFIX (which has all those tie-ins).

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Final Fantasy IV was the first one I ever played, in 2009 if I remember correctly. After that, it was several years before I played any more Final Fantasy games.

In 2013 I decided to try Final Fantasy XIII. I loved it, played Final Fantasy XIII-2 right after that, and finished XIII-2 just in time for the release of Lightning Returns - the first Final Fantasy game I ever got at the time of its release! Right around then, I tried out the PS4 Beta for Final Fantasy XIV, but I didn't care much for it at the time. Pretty soon after that, Final Fantasy X|X-2 HD Remaster came out. I spent the whole summer of 2014 playing those games - loved 'em both. Then I played Final Fantasy Type-0 HD in 2015.

Early in 2016 I tried to play the iOS version of Final Fantasy II, but I couldn't finish it. I loved the game, but couldn't stand playing it on my phone. Shortly after I tried Final Fantasy IV: The After Years on iOS and had exactly the same experience - I hate touch controls. I played Final Fantasy VII for the first time that year, too, I believe. Then Final Fantasy XV when it came out in November. After XV, I started VI - though it took me almost two years to finish it. Not that I didn't like it - I loved it, but I got stuck a couple of times, and each time it took a while before I came back to it.

I played Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age when it came out in 2017, but got pulled away from it by another game and didn't go back to it for a very long time. In 2019, I finally went back and finished VI, and then XII. I started Final Fantasy IX later that year, and I still have yet to finish it . I love every minute I've played of it, but I (again) got distracted by other games. That happens a lot to me. It frequently takes me several years to finish games these days, because I alternate between a handful of them . I also gave Final Fantasy XI a try at around that time, but, much like Final Fantasy XIV, I didn't care for it. For a long time, I hated MMOs, and I couldn't get past that even for a Final Fantasy game.

In 2020, however, I got very sick for quite an extended period of time, and I really needed a game that I could just get completely lost in to distract me from it. Square Enix was offering a free trial for Final Fantasy XIV, and MMOs are perfect for losing yourself in, so I decided to give it another try. I got much further into the story content this time, and fell completely in love with it - so much so that I went back to Final Fantasy XI, as well, and had almost the exact same experience - once I got into a little bit more of the story, I loved it. I've been alternating between those two games for the past year, and having a blast - though they've kept me from playing very many other Final Fantasy games. I did go back to Final Fantasy II and finally finished it (still have to do Soul of Rebirth, though). I started Dirge of Cerberus and Final Fantasy VII Remake, but haven't finished either. I figure at the pace I'm going, I'll probably finish up XI and XIV at around the end of the year, and then hopefully I can get back to VII Remake and IX.
    Last edited by remy5623; 03-11-2021 at 06:49 AM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

VII, VIII, I-VI (I played ROMs of all of them, don't remember the order, only finished V at that point though), X, XII, XI, XIII, XIV, XV

Completed I can do more specifically:
    VII (2000)
    VIII (2000)
    V (2000?)
    X (idk, but I think it was in 2002 or 2003)
    XII (2007)
    XIII (2010)
    XIV (I wanna say 2011, counting the main story of the very first release of the game as completed)
    I (2011)
    II (2011)
    VI (2012)
    IX (2013)
    XV (2016)

I'm up to the final dungeon in FFIII as of 2020, and haven't had the motivation to go and finish it off. For FFXI, I'm at L37 or 43 or something around that region and maybe someday I'll touch it again but ehhhhhh. FFIV I got something like what felt as half way, I plan on finishing it after III, eventually, thus completing all the main series.

Spinoffs/Expansions I've completed are: Crisis Core, World of Final Fantasy, FFXIII-2, Lightning Returns, all FFXIV expansions' main stories as they were at time of release. I've also played but not completed FFT, FFTA, FFTA2 (I think? I'm hazy on this one), some FF Dissidia arcade game in Japan which I couldn't read anything for, and uhhhh I think that's all? I forget.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!