Thread: What (recent) Japanese games feature auto-saves?

FFXIV Character

Cheese Cocteautwins (Lamia)

Default What (recent) Japanese games feature auto-saves?

Curious about this. I know it's sort of a contentious topic in the JRPG community (some prefer no auto-saves for whatever reason, seems to be technical reasons not actual gameplay reasons), but in general, JP devs are known to be a bit behind the times w/ QOL features, accessibility features, etc. And I wanted to know which JP devs/publishers implement auto-saves in their games. So I took the ones I've played in recent years, having not played consoles since 2017. So this list is mostly PC.

Has auto-saves
    Legend of Heroes series added on PC ports only? Xseed ports only?
    Bayonetta 2 (2014, PlatinumGames, Nintendo)
    Lost Dimension (2014, 2017, Lancarse, FuRyu, Ghostlight)
    Metal Gear Solid V (2015, Kojima Productions, Konami) no manual saves, checkpoint system only
    Final Fantasy XV (2016, Square Enix)
    Final Fantasy XII: Zodiac Age (2017, Square Enix)
    Dragon Quest XI (2017, Square Enix)
    Monster Hunter: World (2017, Capcom Division 2) only after quest completion
    Resident Evil 7 (2017, Capcom Division 1)
    Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (2017, Monolith Soft, Nintendo)
    Nioh (2017, Team Ninja, Koei Tecmo) *shrines only, but shrines are proxy meta and death does not reset relevant worldstate
    Ys XIII (2016, 2018, Nihon Falcom)
    Octopath Traveler (2018, Square Enix, Acquire)
    Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (2019, FromSoftware) *
    Death Stranding (2019, Kojima Productions)
    Caligula Effect: Overdose (2016, 2019, Aquira, Historia, FuRyu)
    Crystar (2019, Gemdrops, FuRyu, Spike Chunsoft)
    Resident Evil 2 remake (2019, Capcom Division 1)
    Resident Evil 3 remake (2020, Capcom Division 1)
    Nioh 2 (2020, Team Ninja, Koei Tecmo) *
    Trials of Mana (2020, Square Enix)
    Yakuza: Like a Dragon (2020, RGG Studio, Sega)
    Atelier Ryza 2 (2021, Gust, Koei Tecmo)
    Bravely Default 2 (2021, Claytechworks)
    Ys IX (2019, 2021, Nihon Falcom)

No auto-saves
    Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;birth 1 (2013, Compile Heart, Idea Factory)
    Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;birth 2 (2014, Compile Heart, Idea Factory)
    Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;birth 3 (2014, Compile Heart, Idea Factory)
    Tokyo Xanadu eX+ (2015, 2017, Nihon Falcom)
    I Am Setsuna (2016, Tokyo RPG Factory, Square Enix)
    Nights of Azure (2016, Gust, Koei Tecmo)
    Nights of Azure 2 (2017, Gust, Koei Tecmo)
    Nier: Automata (2017, PlatinumGames, Square Enix)
    Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night (2019, ArtPlay)
    Dragon Star Varnir (2019, Compile Heart, Idea Factory)
    Atelier Ryza (2019, Gust, Koei Tecmo)
    Persona 4 Golden (2012, 2020 Steam improved release, P-Studio, Atlus/Sega)
    Persona 5 Strikers (2021, P-Studio, Atlus/Sega)

Sadly, as a PC player, this means no Nintendo first-party games or console exclusives like FF7R, 13 Sentinels, Astral Chain, etc, for me. I have played some recent Nintendo games, but am sort of glossing over those. But please add those console games! I am curious to see what others add. I will update the list w/ enough games replied. I am eager to see games like the Atelier series, various Namco Bandai JRPGs, other Capcom games, recent Grasshopper Manufacture games, console exclusives, etc.

I'm including the years (Western release bias) and dev teams/publishers to see if there's any evolution. Of course, even a single dev studio can have different directors on games w/ their own vision of QOL/gameplay features (see PlatinumGames).

Also, might as well make it a point of discussion too - what are your thoughts on auto-saves? Why do you think it's still not a mandatory feature in some Japanese games? Looking at you, P-Studio! Bloodstained I can KIND OF understand, since MV's traditionally don't have autosave. But, more and more MV's are getting a hybrid type of save system. And, well, it just compounds the fact that JP games are sometimes poorly ported on PC and crashes happen, causing players to lose progress through no fault of their own for a game lacking basic QOL features.

Thanks for any and all input!
    Last edited by cheesesteak; 03-18-2021 at 09:46 PM. Reason: added games
    - Dr. Cheesesteak

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I believe Dragon Quest XI has an auto save. And it's fun!

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

I dislike autosaves at least when they come at the exclusion of manual saves. I don't want to automatically have my progress saved after an event with no manual file to rely on if I did something wrong. Also auto-saves tend to leave me unsure where the game save past and where it will take me back to. Even when games with auto-saves have manual saves, the types of games with auto-saves often seem to so some form of checkpointing, so even 8f I load up a manual save, I likely won't be starting up again exactly where I saved and may have to redo some stuff. This is a little distinct from just having set savepoints, because there you know exactly where you can save and you'll naturally stop at a save point. While autosaves in theory seem to be a good quality of life addition, in execution it's often more of a pain in the end.

FFXIV Character

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    I believe Dragon Quest XI has an auto save. And it's fun!
    Yes, and now that it's on Game Pass for PC, I have no excuse to at least try it out lol. Same for Octopath Traveler now, which I'm hearing does have auto-save. Looks like Square Enix has its act together. Save for Nier Automata, but I'll chalk that up to Taro Yoko.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Golbez View Post
    I dislike autosaves at least when they come at the exclusion of manual saves. I don't want to automatically have my progress saved after an event with no manual file to rely on if I did something wrong. Also auto-saves tend to leave me unsure where the game save past and where it will take me back to. Even when games with auto-saves have manual saves, the types of games with auto-saves often seem to so some form of checkpointing, so even 8f I load up a manual save, I likely won't be starting up again exactly where I saved and may have to redo some stuff. This is a little distinct from just having set savepoints, because there you know exactly where you can save and you'll naturally stop at a save point. While autosaves in theory seem to be a good quality of life addition, in execution it's often more of a pain in the end.
    I don't think I've ever heard anyone actually say autosaves are a pain. I've heard various complaints ranging from potential tech issues to having a "purist" mentality, but not actual poor execution of the feature. MAYBE when they were first implemented like a decade ago? But I think almost all autosave systems are pretty well-refined these days.

But now I'm curious about games that only have autosaves, like you mentioned. I know they exist, pretty sure I've played some? I just can't remember lol. That'd be an interesting list, too.
    - Dr. Cheesesteak

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

With Nier Automata, it’s definitely a deliberate artistic choice, since the game seems to brag about it every time it reminds you of it. Which is very often.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

FROM Software's Souls series has always done it. Starting with Demon's Souls (2009) through the Dark Souls trilogy and even Bloodborne and Sekiro.

I don't mind auto-saves, but it does suck when I screw up and have to go back to a manual save losing progress and defeating the purpose of the QoL element it's suppose to bring. I prefer manual saves with a save point system personally. Partly because it's the one I've used the longest playing RPGs for ages, and partly because it's usually both a nice gauge of time and usually gives you a heads up when trout is about to go down like an unexpected boss fight or something. My least favorite save system is the kind where you can save wherever because I'm notoriously bad at utilizing them until its too late and wind up losing progress. I like having that visual reminder. The only exception might be the Metal Gear series since the save system is usually tied to a fun character barring GZ and PP.

FFXIV Character

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    I don't mind auto-saves, but it does suck when I screw up and have to go back to a manual save losing progress and defeating the purpose of the QoL element it's suppose to bring.
    But, you'd have to go back to a manual save regardless if there were autosaves or not. I don't see how autosaves would be self-defeating if you choose to save scum and are still allowed to save scum.

Or do you mean that since there are autosaves, you forget to manual save, and that if you were more conscious of manual saving, then you'd save more frequently and not risk losing as much progress if you did have to go back and save scum?
    - Dr. Cheesesteak

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I think the DQXI system is a good compromise. Your main saves are at save points but those are pretty regularly spread across the world. However, if you mess up pretty bad in an area or your system freezes you can go back to the autosave which refreshes in every area.

If anything, save points serve as a reminder for me to save. I still love auto save though.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

FFXIV Character

Cattleya Paphia (Sargatanas)

Unless they have a really good reason to do it any other way (which they usually don't), the best system is auto-saves + save anywhere. The auto-saves will act as a safety net if you forgot to save a long time, while saving anywhere allows you to save and stop at any point rather than having to push onwards to a save point or hope that the auto-save kicks in.

Anyway, as for recent Japanese games that have auto-saves..

Bravely Default 2 and Ys IX auto-save very often
    Xenoblade 2 has auto-saves but very infrequent, I think it was after you actually finish a quest, be that a story quest or a sidequest
    Nioh 2 of course, same system as Nioh 1
    Resident Evil 3 Remake, unless of course you play on the difficulty without them. Can't remember how often it auto-saves, pretty sure it was often.
    Atelier Ryza 2, though no idea how often it auto-saves as I haven't played it yet

Those are some of the ones I can think of from the last few years, at any rate. PC ports of the Trails games also tend to have auto-saves I think, but they're added by the westen porters, so..not so much a function added by the Japanese devs

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
    I don't mind auto-saves, but it does suck when I screw up and have to go back to a manual save losing progress and defeating the purpose of the QoL element it's suppose to bring.
    But, you'd have to go back to a manual save regardless if there were autosaves or not. I don't see how autosaves would be self-defeating if you choose to save scum and are still allowed to save scum.

Or do you mean that since there are autosaves, you forget to manual save, and that if you were more conscious of manual saving, then you'd save more frequently and not risk losing as much progress if you did have to go back and save scum?
    I don't save scum is the thing. Unless I know I'm doing a task that would require it like grinding a specific thing or doing some kind of mini-game I usually just save when it's convenient for me. I don't even bother with multiple save slots. But yes, because of the lack of visual save points I often just forget to save. It's why I'm not a fan of the save anywhere feature. I like having my visual reminder of ''hey, you've been playing for a while, maybe you should check the time and realize the sun is coming up''.

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    I think the DQXI system is a good compromise. Your main saves are at save points but those are pretty regularly spread across the world. However, if you mess up pretty bad in an area or your system freezes you can go back to the autosave which refreshes in every area.

If anything, save points serve as a reminder for me to save. I still love auto save though.
    I don't recall ever having an issue with the auto-save in DQXI. Probably, because it's understated, which as far as I'm concerned is the ideal role for an auto-save feature. Good to have if you need it, but not so emphasized that you abolish manual saves or only add them in as an afterthought.

Also, I agree with WK about visual save points, but not for the same reasons. I don't need a visual reminder to save. I tend to do that often anyway. What a visual savepoint offers me is the assurance that, if I stop after saving at that visual save point, I know exactly where I'll start up again and what progress I've made that's been recorded. I don't like having to play a guessing game about exactly where I'm going to pop up, what dialogue is going to play again if I quit at a particular spot, or even sometimes what collectibles I'll need to pick up again. These kind of issues seem to crop up more in non-RPGs with auto-saves, but regardless it's an issue I associate with auto-saving/manual save anywhere games.
    Last edited by Lord Golbez; 03-18-2021 at 08:33 PM.

FFXIV Character

Quote Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post

I don't save scum is the thing. Unless I know I'm doing a task that would require it like grinding a specific thing or doing some kind of mini-game I usually just save when it's convenient for me. I don't even bother with multiple save slots. But yes, because of the lack of visual save points I often just forget to save. It's why I'm not a fan of the save anywhere feature. I like having my visual reminder of ''hey, you've been playing for a while, maybe you should check the time and realize the sun is coming up''.
    I see.

Quote Originally Posted by WarZidane View Post
    Anyway, as for recent Japanese games that have auto-saves..

Bravely Default 2 and Ys IX auto-save very often
    Xenoblade 2 has auto-saves but very infrequent, I think it was after you actually finish a quest, be that a story quest or a sidequest
    Nioh 2 of course, same system as Nioh 1
    Resident Evil 3 Remake, unless of course you play on the difficulty without them. Can't remember how often it auto-saves, pretty sure it was often.
    Atelier Ryza 2, though no idea how often it auto-saves as I haven't played it yet

Those are some of the ones I can think of from the last few years, at any rate. PC ports of the Trails games also tend to have auto-saves I think, but they're added by the westen porters, so..not so much a function added by the Japanese devs
    Thanks for the list, will add. I researched Atelier and Ys last night, as I've been interested the series for some time, but never played. I read Ryza and Ys XIII + upcoming IX are both great jumping on points, and have autosaves, which apparently are new to the series too, based on my quick research. Tho it does make me think about if the updated Ys games have autosaves, like you mentioned about Trails.

But speaking of Trails, I played Sky 1 and honestly can't remember its save system. Part of the reason I like making lists like this - to remind myself.

edit:
    So I am concluding that the biggest "offenders" are P-Studio and Compile Heart/Idea Factory. I did read that Neptunia VIIR has auto-saves, but that is the only one and there have been other Neptunia games released since that lack auto-saves. Props to Gust and Nihon Falcom for evolving and bigger companies like Square, FromSoft, Capcom, and others for adopting these features earlier than their peers. I'm still curious about the Bandai Namco JRPGs (SAO, DB, One Piece, etc), but I think at this point I don't think I'll be playing any of them anyway, save for SAO. Also curious about Spike Chunsoft VN adventure games...which I own lol, but haven't played yet. Still curious about console exclusives like 13 Sentinels, Astral Chain, etc. Of course, I can always google this stuff...
    Last edited by cheesesteak; 03-18-2021 at 10:51 PM.
    - Dr. Cheesesteak