Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are the best games on PS3, PS Vita, and PSP?

Default What are the best games on PS3, PS Vita, and PSP?

There's a report going around that the PlayStation stores for PS3, PS Vita, and PSP are shutting down this summer. It's unconfirmed so far, but honestly it wouldn't be much of a surprise, since it's been 15 years since the PS3 store went up. So I've been trying to think of any games I wanted to check out on these platforms but never got around to. I've got a pretty good list going, but I got these consoles very late (PS3 in 2012 and Vita in 2015), so I'm sure there's a bunch of classics I've just never heard of. What are some games on the PS3, PS Vita, and PSP that I just have to check out before they're gone (especially if they're digital-only and/or exclusive to one of these systems)?
    Playing Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood

Final Fantasy Games Completed

II, IV, VI, VII, X, X-2, XII, XIII, XIII-2, Lightning Returns, XV, Type-0

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

That rumor might just be a rumor so I wouldn't worry too much until you hear something official from Sony.

I never had a Vita but for the PSP and PS3...

PS3 - For the PS3, I'm honestly just going to stick to entries that are either unique to the system or more cost effective to play them on it. I had a longer list and then realized that like 90% of them were multi-platform with many already being ported to modern consoles.

Catherine - If you want something story heavy and very off kilter, Catherine is a great treat. I did a write up for it a couple years back if you want to learn more. There is a new version on current systems but I've heard rather mix things on it from fans of the original. So I recommend this version instead.

El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron - This is one of those funky under the radar entries. The gameplay is a bit more basic than I like from an action game but the production values, soundtrack, and story are fairly good. This reminds me that I never got around to playing the spin-off.

Journey and Flower - Both were made by thatgamecompany and they are available on mutliple platforms, so you really have your pick here but both are some of the best indie games I've ever played.

Ico and Shadow of the Colossus HD - Yeah yeah, Shadow of the Colossus was remade for the PS4 but honestly just buy this collections because the HD remasters make both games look gorgeous and you also get Ico in the mix as well. Great games and some of the best to come out of Sony studios.

PSP
    Castlevania Chronicles Dracula X - Not sure how you feel about Castlevania but this game features two of the best entries on the market with both the original and 3d remake of Rondo of Blood, as well as a Symphony of the Night as an unlockable. The Rondo titles are tough but SotN is a must play for anyone.

Dissidia 012 Duodecim Final Fantasy - The original Dissidia was a pretty neat experience even if the plot was cheesy as hell but really we're here to play with all the fanservice these games offer. Duodecim is a ''prequel'' that also happens to have a remade version of the original game added in as well. You'll like this version as well since Lightning will be available to play as and it gives you a taste of the whole FF series. The over-world sections are also a great addition to the game and the equipment mechanics are dumbed down so you don't have to be constantly changing out your character's gear to stay optimal.

Persona 2: Innocent Sin - Not sure if you've gotten into Persona but this let's you play one of the more underrated entries in the franchise. It doesn't possess the social link mechanics but does have better negotiation mechanics and a cool CHrono trigger style fusion skill system. The game also has one of the best cxasts in the franchise if you ask me. Likewise, you can also acquire the second half of the game Eternal Punishment from the PS1 store on your PS3 to see how everything truly ends. Sadly, Atlus never released the PSP version of EP and the PS1 version has a crummier localization and can't use save data from IS for carry over. Still a strong RPG.

Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together - Not sure if you ever got around to playing FFTactics yet, but this is it's predecessor with an overhauled localization and better graphics. I'm not too keen on the gameplay changes, but they are significantly more user-friendly than the obtuse original system. Great story by the guy who made FFTactics and FFXII.

For the most part though, I use my PSP more for retro gaming and as a portable PS1. I can give recommendations for titles from the PS1 if you wish. Likewise, I honestly think some of the best titles you can pick up for the PS3 are actually PS2 games. Neither system was exactly my favorite of that generation so I'm sorry this list might be a little disappointing. I was more into the Wii, DS and 3DS than any of these systems.
    Last edited by Wolf Kanno; 03-27-2021 at 06:07 PM. Reason: Fixed the link, my bad when I try to multi-task.

FFXIV Character

Cattleya Paphia (Sargatanas)

The rumor came from a single site that has a bit of a dodgy reputation so yeah it might not be true.
    That said, though, I'll take this opportunity to list some under-the-radar stuff. Games I almost never see mentioned even when someone's asking things like this. Which means YMMV heavily on whether they're good or bad

PSP
    Wild Arms XF - While Wild Arms isn't *too* unknown as a franchise, this entry doesn't get mentioned much. Maybe it's because it's a tactical RPG instead of a regular turn-based RPG. Maybe the game just wasn't that good. I don't remember disliking it

Valkyria Chronicles 2 - Similarly, Valkyria Chronicles isn't exactly an under-the-radar franchise either, but again, I feel like this entry is. I honestly don't think it was really worse than the first game either, it just happened to be a PSP exclusive instead of being on home consoles like the first and fourth games. Relatively late in the PSP's lifetime too, I believe. There's also VC3, but that one never even got an official localization.

Legend of Heroes: Gagharv trilogy - aka Moonlight Witch, Tear of Vermillion and Song of the Ocean. These are pre-Trails entries in the LoH franchise that don't see much light of day in conversations, and when they do they tend to get flak for being subpar versions or bad localizations. But y'know what, I really liked Moonlight Witch, had an enjoyable time with Tear of Vermillion and..well okay, i'd kind of gotten over my PSP when i started Song of the Ocean, I should give it a go again some time.

Vita
    Tales of Hearts R - Again, an entry in a big franchise that just gets overshadowed by its big brothers every step of the way. I promise this list will have some non-franchise titles too
    Anyway, Tales of Hearts R is a remake of the never-localized DS game, Tales of Hearts. It's good, just not nearly as high-profile as other Tales games.

Soul Sacrifice Delta - An expanded version of Soul Sacrifice. It's a kinda Monster Hunter-esque game, but also different. You hunt enemies for spells, use those spells to hunt stronger stuff, and you can sacrifice enemies, allies or even parts of your own body for various effects like healing or special attacks.

PS3

White Knight Chronicles 2 - Which includes a free updated version of White Knight Chronicles 1! These two Level-5 RPGs had a pretty meh reception due to its noticeable flaws, but it did have some interesting stuff. It's a real-time RPG where you completely build your character, including your set of attacks/skills. It had co-op multiplayer as well, and you could build your own town (Dark Cloud-style sorta).

Ar nosurge - One of my favorites, set in the same universe (but distant past) as the Ar Tonelico games. A turn-based RPG similar to Ar Tonelico 2, where your frontline attacks and guards using timed button presses while your backline charges up song magic. You also dive into characters' psyches through Visual Novel-style segments. The game's a sequel to Ciel nosurge, a vita game that was never localized, but that didn't really get in the way of my understanding the story when I played it. There's a PS4 version, but as of yet, no localization has been announced.

Cross Edge - a crossover RPG made by Idea Factory (so don't expect a technical achievement here ), containing characters from Darkstalkers, Ar Tonelico, Disgaea and a couple of Atelier games. Despite its issues I very much enjoyed it, probably because of the rather unique set of games they picked for this crossover.

So there you have it, a short list of flawed and hidden games that I still feel should occasionally be remembered, this seemed as good a place as any to finally post a few that I've been wanting to mention

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

jetsetradiooo

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Out of those I only had a PS3, but most def start with a 9/10 possibly 10/10 game with Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

I don't know why I'm blanking out on other stuff. I have games for the PS3 but this is all I can think of at the moment.

PS3: MGS4 - the story is terrible but it has arguably the best gameplay of the entire series, the only flaw being that there's less actual gameplay than there are cutscenes. Vanquish was damn fun. I haven't played Valkyria Chronicles but have heard a lot of good things about it. Besides that there's not much.

PSP: MGS Peace Walker was good, Portable Ops not so much. Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep was pretty good. Maverick Hunter X is a great game and the perfect gateway into the Mega Man X franchise. If you're into racing games there's Wipeout Pure and Pulse. Also Loco Roco and Patapon.

Vita: Wipeout 2048, Gravity Rush, Oreshika, ...uh...that's all I got. Shinobido 2 was underrated as hell but not what I'd consider one of the all-time greats, and the story was really dumb.

I feel the opposite about MGS4 almost. Well, the cut scenes are too long, but the story was pretty interesting. What got to me was gameplay issues. First off, I didn't really care for the de-emphasis on stealth on MGS4, but that wasn't the critical issue. The main thing to me was the boss fights often taking forever. I would even prefer the boss fights be harder but be quick win or lose affairs. Instead I often found myself in longass battles of attrition. I actually quit playing on one boss fight when I died after probably almost an hour of cat and mouse games with them. It just wasn't fun, unlike the other boss fights in the series. MGS5 is the one that I would say is weak on story but has the best gameplay of the series.

Yeah 4 definitely had the weakest boss fights of the series (though the Rex vs Ray fight was pretty dope), but the gameplay mechanics and controls were the most refined besides maybe MGSV, which I haven't played yet despite still owning my day one copy.

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

oh yeah dude mgsv is amazing gameplay with bs story personified in a game for sure, so hope you enjoy (I did, platinuned it ), I do want to go back to mgs4 now that I'm older tho

edit: wow this thread is about other games huh

I like so many ps3 games but none of them are exclusive
    psp, crisis core is fun, wolf kannos list was good tho use that

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Actually the Metal Gear HD collection is a pretty good buy as well if it is something you like. It gives you every main entry barring Ground Zeroes and MGSV. Though you have to use a code that comes with it to acquire MGS1 and mission packed side game for the PS1. But the versions of MGS2 and MGS3 are the direction cut versions so you get the side mission Snake Tales with MGS2 and the better control schemes of MGS3 Subsistence as well as Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake.

As for the MGS4 vs. MGSV debate, MGSV has the far better gameplay. It largely takes the ideas that MGS4 and Peace Walker were trying to do and manages to make it successful with an awesome gameplay loop that really benefits the game's jump to open world design. Plot wise, I actually think MGSV has the better story, MGS4 just feels depressing and mean spirited most of the time when it's not being ridiculous by all the unnecessary retcons. MGSV is light on plot and the second half of the story is a disappointment but I actually liked the major twists it offered better. I do miss David Hayter as Big Boss though.

Granted MGS3 is best MGS.
    __naked_snake_metal_gear_series_metal_gear_solid_3_and_saru_getchu_drawn_by_50yen__a8deb2fc675ab.jpg

Thanks for the suggestions so far! Turns out the rumor was true . I've played a handful of these (Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, Flower, and Uncharted 2 are all incredible), but most of these titles are new to me. I'll try to pick up as many of them as I can before the stores shut down. If you have any other suggestions (including PS1 games, since physical copies can get quite expensive!), keep 'em coming!

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Dissidia 012 had a prologue chapter DLC. Getting that was the only way to have Aerith as an assist character in the full game.

It's interesting to note that even though the PSP storefront went down some time ago, you could still buy in-game DLC. That's the feature that's going away when the PSP shop fully shuts down.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

For PS1 games:

Arc the Lad trilogy - Not sure how you feel about Tactical RPGs, but this is a good series and the cheapest you'll find it. The only other western release was the Working Design collection which was a collector's item. Probably easy to acquire now, but once the digital version goes down the price will be jacked up until it gets re-released.

Breath of Fire III and IV - Capcom has a bad habit of pretending this franchise doesn't exist, so pick it up now while you still can.

Mega Man Legends - Same deal, Capcom likes to forget about their non-mainline series entries and the first game was a serious gem.

Suikoden I and II - Konami is a shell of it's former self, and while they've been doing a lot of repackaging of their old faves, Suikoden was never a serious money maker so it's very unlikely Konami will ever do anything with the IP. Like BoF and Arc the Lad, this series is pretty expensive in legitimate collector's circles, so this is a way cheaper avenue to try out this awesome series.

Any non-FF by Square - The FF series has fairly good representation on modern consoles, not so much their other works from this era. I would suggest Chrono Cross, Vagrant Story, Legend of Mana, Bushido Blade,Brave Fencer Musashi, Parasite Eve, SaGa Frontier 2, Front Mission 3, and of course Xenogears. For old timers like myself, the PS1 generation was the end of the golden age of Square, so you really can't go wrong with any of their titles. Legend of Mana is getting a HD re-release soon but if you want the game for cheap because you're unsure you'll like it, this is the better option outside of emulation.

Wild Arms 1 and 2 - Another underrated JRPG series. The first game looks basic as hell but has some solid design behind it and sequel improves it a lot. Sony also tends to neglect this series a bit seeing how Wild Arms 5 has never seen a digital release.

Persona 2: Eternal Punishment - The second half of the Persona 2 duology. Atlus never bothered releasing the expanded port for the PSP so the PS1 original is still the only version in the west. Likewise, it will most likely become a major collector's item once the digital copy gets removed. Especially since Atlus and the Persona team tend to shun any entry that came before P3.

I'll try to list more if I can remember any. Overall, I would stick to titles that are unlikely to see the light of day for awhile. I still believe most of these games will come back on the digital market but a lot of these companies can be really fickle about the when part.

In addition to everything WK said (minus Arc the Lad which was pretty underwhelming) I'd recommend Grandia. Not sure if 2 is on the PSN store but I know 1 definitely is.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Siliconera did an article about which PS2 games you should pick up for the PS3 and it honestly covered a lot of the entries I was likely going to mention.