Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Top Five Gaming Wishlist from SE

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Moomba Top Five Gaming Wishlist from SE

Let's say that SE declared they would announce five games within the next few years, what would you hope to see? A release date for something already announced? A new game by a team you love? Or maybe a re-release or two? What are your five games?

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

First thing that comes to mind is Secret of Mana as it was originally intended before they had to cut a lot of the game to fit on the SNES

A "Final Fantasy Maker" type of program / game with all the graphic assets in 2D, (PSP style graphics, think FF4 the complete collection) an all the playable characters in sprite art animations, so anyone could make their own Final Fantasy personalized adventures without having any knowledge of programming.

I would like to use such a program to create alternate versions of the games that are more straight forward and remove bits of the history that are unnecessary, or just plain nonsensical.

For example I would remove Final Fantasy 4's unnecessary "fake deaths" of playable characters (Edward, Palom, Porom, Yang, Cid) and replace them with the simple, and now a days quite standard system, of just choosing which characters you want in your "battle party", and let all the other characters follow you as "backup" so they only enter the scene when they need to interact with the history in some significant way.
    Last edited by -Demos-; 04-05-2021 at 04:57 AM.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

1. A new Chrono game. It may not be good, but I'd like to see them try.

2. FFVI Remaster. Not a true remake but I would love to see them tinker with a few things to modernize, just to give us a chance to try it in a different way (like they did with FFIV DS). I doubt they'd ever do that so I would be satisfied with FFV which may be easier to do (and maybe give it to the BD/Octopath team).

3. A concrete date for FFVIIR2 and firm plans on how they are going to end this series.

4. The FFL remakes available on a modern Western console!

5. I was going to say something in the Tactics family, but Triangle Strategy looks like it may be that. Also I would say TWEWY sequel... but they are doing that too. So I will go with my old request of asking for another game that uses the FFX-2 ATB system, which I think was the best ATB system they ever did. X-2 had a pretty good job system too. So I guess I want another FFX-2 but without the mission based gameplay or the dumb plot to retcon the beautiful ending to FFX.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

FFXIV Character

Cheese Cocteautwins (Lamia)

1. A "proper" Dissidia fighting game, developed by ASW or French Bread or Team Arcana (who did MAAB).

2. A new Chrono game and remaster of Chrono Cross on console/PC.

3. A Parasite Eve remake.

4. A release date for Babylon's Fall.

5. A new Legacy of Kain game by FromSoftware, acting as a reboot to the franchise, but is light on Soulslike features - think Sekiro, or even Nier Automata and Hollow Knight. Maybe make it a roguelite, since AAA is now catching on to that genre?
    - Dr. Cheesesteak

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

1. Xenogears Remaster with touched up graphics and more importantly, a fixed translation with some names restored and what not. If I was shooting for the stars, I would love for it to be on the Switch with Monolith Soft helping to expand the second disc and possibly add back in some elements that were dropped.

2. I echo Del Murder's desire for a Chrono 3. Just please have Kato and Mitsuda helping with it.

3. I'd also like a VI Remake, but like Del, I don't necessarily want or expect something on the scale of the VII one. I'd rather have something done in the Dissidia (PSP) engine, or Trials of Mana type deal, so I can get the whole experience in one game. Certainly fix some of the issues from the original and make sure that switching to a 3D perspective has them redo the dungeons to take advantage of it. I still expect Kefka to have his 16-bit laugh though.

4. A new Ivalice title that isn't a mobile game. While it would be cool to hire Matsuno to write/direct it, just a new entry would be fun. I think the Return to Ivalice campaign has been the biggest lure for me to try out FFXIV.

5. I'd love to see Hiroyuki Ito come out with a new game for console. Don't even know what it would be about, but I think it would be interesting to see him take the creative helm again.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Honestly, the only thing that comes to mind is the Xenogears Remaster or Remake. Maybe a KH game that actually lets you control Kairi as the main character because she’s in dire need of some development

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I honestly feel like Kairi is a lost cause by this point.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I forgot about Xenogears remake. That would be a good but ambitious project.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I heard they did actually do quite a bit in re mind to help her out, and then she’s the focus of MoM. I think they’re finally trying to go somewhere with her. Whether it’s too little too late, only time will tell

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I don't know man, she's so devoid of any personality in KHIII. I feel like she was only personable in the first entry and she's been a chair to hold the door for all the plot to get in for the rest of the series. So I am certainly feeling the ''too little too late'' vibe here.

As for Xenogears, I think a simple facelift and re-translation/localization is all I need. Remaking it would be unfeasible as I imagine they would have to break the game apart to do it justice even with dropping it down to Xenoblade Chronicles 1 graphics and the game is just not a sure enough hit to warrant that kind of attention from SE. Though as I said, it would be interesting to do a joint project with Nintendo so Monolith Soft could work on it and possibly pull a SaGa Frontier HD Remaster on it by adding back in some of the content cut out. Like I doubt they could fix the second disc, but maybe they could add back in two dungeons or something or maybe expand on the two events in Shevat that the narration flat out said would be explained at ''another time'' and never was.

FFXIV Character

A new Xenogears game or remake/remaster would be sick. But I'm guessing since Monolith Soft / Nintendo owns Xenoblade, and Bandai Namco still owns Xenosaga but it's basically a dead IP w/o Monolift Soft, SE doesn't really care to bother w/ any sort of potential IP issues if they release new Xenogears content. Even if it's "all cool, man" between all the publishers, SE could just not want to confuse consumers. SE has obviously given up on the IP. 20+ years and how many remasters, remakes, new IPs, etc have they done that AREN'T Xenogears?

Reminds me, did I put Xenogears on that "favorite dead franchise" thread?
    - Dr. Cheesesteak

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

SE hasn't completely forgotten the IP and it pops up in weird places. Brave Exivus allows you to recruit a good chunk of the cast, one of their old browser mecha games from the mid 2010s allowed you to play as Weltall and Brigandier. They commissioned a replica of Sophia's portrait for the 20th anniversary and they even released Kai Art figures of Weltall, Fei, and Elly. Not to mention they're getting ready to drop a model kit collection that includes Weltall, Vierge, Brigandier, and Heimdall. So SE hasn't completely forgotten them like say... Capcom forget Breath of Fire or Konami and Suikoden.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

And honestly, with Monolith being on people’s lips as this cool big RPG developer, it would actually be a lot of good press for SE to team up with them for a Xenogears remake. It would attract both old fans and new gamers who are only familiar with the Xenoblades.

FFXIV Character

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    SE hasn't completely forgotten the IP and it pops up in weird places. Brave Exivus allows you to recruit a good chunk of the cast.
    Oh dang, really? I'm actually getting a new phone soon and may play it. Or, apparently it's available for my Fire tablet, too.
    - Dr. Cheesesteak