Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anime Recommendations

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Planetes, starts very chill and builds up to become a very solid story with (going by memory) an ending I felt to be good, which is rare for any kind of TV series.

Ghost in the Shell, I agree on this suggestion, it's awesome.

FMA I've only seen the "original" not Brotherhood, and it's very good.

Nana is an excellent young adult story with very good writing and characters. It develops really well. Never ended, but honestly the way the current series ends still just... works. Many of my anime loving friends and myself really found it worth the watch. Possibly my fave.

Food Wars really divides because of the ecchi stuff (it's intentionally erotic when they eat the food) but honestly everyone who has watched past the first few episodes I feel has ended up really liking it. It's great to watch while snacking because it will make you insanely hungry.

Gangsta I remember liking quite a bit.

Haikyuu - never in my goddam life would I have ever expected to enjoy a freaking volleyball anime of all things so much.

Steins;Gate is a blast.

Death Note I really enjoyed most of it but the second 'half' of it just lost me a lot, in a Game of Thrones kind of way.

Your Name is terribly beautiful and enjoyable, and I quite enjoy Garden of Words too. For watching with the kids, My Neighbor Totoro is an absolute must.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    I think we would prefer something original with some good suspense and writing
    Death Note

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    Food Wars really divides because of the ecchi stuff (it's intentionally erotic when they eat the food) but honestly everyone who has watched past the first few episodes I feel has ended up really liking it. It's great to watch while snacking because it will make you insanely hungry.

Haikyuu - never in my goddam life would I have ever expected to enjoy a freaking volleyball anime of all things so much.

Steins;Gate is a blast.
    Yes to these. But holy smurf, Steins;Gate. I watched that when I was sleep deprived during Ishgard ranking. I made the gathering annoying trout go faster. So so so sososososos good. Really amazing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Banished Ace Recognized Member Agent Proto's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'll go ahead and name a few that haven't yet been mentioned. Going by what you are looking for, story driven anime with some suspense?

GATE.
    Erased. Definitely something you should check out.
    JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. I'm surprised no one has mentioned this, but it's worth watching. It's a long series with several parts, each as it's own season. It's recommended to start from the beginning, or you can skip to Part III with Stardust Crusaders which contains two seasons by itself. You're in for a long haul with this.
    Made in Abyss.

Apparently, I have been declared banished.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Proto View Post
    or you can skip to Part III
    and just skip over Speedwagon, the best character?

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

JoJo's is pure anarchy and I love it.

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I also love jojo but I don't know if it's a good "starter" anime

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

JoJo doesn't quite fit the feel of AoT which is why I didn't want to suggest it despite how awesome it is. I agree with krissy that it is not the best for someone trying to get into the scene. It's fun, but I feel you need to have a feel for absurdness to really appreciate it.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

It's also better once you have some anime under your belt and you can catch all the Jojo references retrospectively.

Articles
    Blog Entries

now, Gintama, you can watch without any other anime knowledge

jk

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Recently finished FMA Brotherhood. I liked it a lot. The ending was very nice, though predictable. I liked the earlier episodes better when the brothers were traveling the country and learning more about alchemy and some of the wickedness in the world. Near the end, it felt too much like a boss rush mode of a video game. Plus the brothers were separated for a lot of it.

Going with Cowboy Bebop next since it is a classic and a nice change of pace in style from FMA and AoT (which I think had similar styles). Also because it has a Netflix series coming up starring John Cho.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    Recently finished FMA Brotherhood. I liked it a lot. The ending was very nice, though predictable. I liked the earlier episodes better when the brothers were traveling the country and learning more about alchemy and some of the wickedness in the world. Near the end, it felt too much like a boss rush mode of a video game. Plus the brothers were separated for a lot of it.

Going with Cowboy Bebop next since it is a classic and a nice change of pace in style from FMA and AoT (which I think had similar styles). Also because it has a Netflix series coming up starring John Cho.

I'm not a big Anime TV guy. Movies I'm all in on, but I find I don't have enough time to invest multiple hours and nights lately to get into any new show.

That said, Cowboy Bebop might be the pinnacle of the genre in a lot of ways. It's the Anime show for people who don't know much about anime. The show is both stand alone and episodic as it builds and everything has an eye on the hip. The music alone is fantastic and the characterizations while broad at first find a depth and pathos that makes them remarkable. Some of the later episodes go into some darker places while others are just goofy and funny, which makes for a very nice mix during a watch. I'm extremely interested to see what the Netflix series will do. Will they craft original stories based on the show or try a sort of beat for beat remake?

Either way, enjoy the watch and nice suggestions by everyone. Maybe I'll go down one of these journeys in a few months myself.

Take care all and see you space cowboy.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Gundam movies (they comprise the first 1979 series) and chars counterattack are on Netflix now fyi
    I'm on movie 2 and honestly like it way better than evangelion

Anime and Netflix and nothing about Violet Evergarden. Outside of Attack on Titan, it's one of the few recent anime that's made me feel a thing. Samurai Champloo is my echo chamber recommendation. Superbly done

Something great from bygone days that doesn't get as much love as it deserves is Blood+. It has a lot of side gigs that orbit around it with varying quality and I can't speak to a lot of them, but the main series itself is super good

Those recommended that I know are good but haven't watched yet are Made in Abyss and Beastars

But along that note, someone should probably mention The Promised Neverland. I haven't seen it, but I know it's really good, and supposedly the manga is even better. It's about kids in an orphanage, but it's far from a kids show and from what I hear they deal with topics as tactfully as they can, considering the content. I just need a good vacation to justify binge watching some of these. My free time is too scarce to commit to long media sessions, sadly

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

I never watched Blood+ but all the opening songs were my jam in high school.