Thread: How does Final Fantasy measure up to you as an artwork?

Default How does Final Fantasy measure up to you as an artwork?

Art is about dealing with emotions. Art is a reflection of life. As a game, whether or not the Final Fantasy franchise is good is up for debate. But I don't care about that. What I do care about is the artistic aspect of the game.

To be clear, I don't only mean the visuals or the music or the writing. I refer to all three.

Like, how does it compare against the likes of the Elder Scrolls franchise? Or the Divinity franchise? Or Kingdom Hearts? Or Souls?

In your own estimation, how great is Final Fantasy when we measure it as a work of art? According to you, at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    I don’t think art can be measured. Art just is.
    Could not have said it better.

I am a masterpiece. FF, valiant effort though it may be, simply cannot measure up to me as an artwork.

This is just my opinion and people on a FF forum will likely think differently but I feel the FF franchise is a little past its prime. I don't feel like the storytelling really holds up compared to some of the more popular triple A games released these days. FF stories are pretty silly when you compare them to games like Last of Us. IMO this was displayed pretty clearly when the FF7 remake and Last of Us 2 were released pretty close together with both having ps4 graphics.

Quote Originally Posted by tony123 View Post
    This is just my opinion and people on a FF forum will likely think differently but I feel the FF franchise is a little past its prime. I don't feel like the storytelling really holds up compared to some of the more popular triple A games released these days. FF stories are pretty silly when you compare them to games like Last of Us. IMO this was displayed pretty clearly when the FF7 remake and Last of Us 2 were released pretty close together with both having ps4 graphics.
    Yeah, I quite disagree. You're right that Final Fantasy stories can be a bit silly, but that doesn't mean it's a lesser story. Some stories are complex, serious, grounded, and realistic. Some stories are over the top, ridiculous, simplistic, and fantastical. One style of storytelling isn't better than the other, at least to me. They're both awesome. The Last of Us is incredible, but sometimes its realism and seriousness are a bummer. By the same token, a lot of Final Fantasy games are ridiculous and have characters that are a bit flat, but this gives the developers more room to do crazy, weird stuff that you could absolutely never see in a game that takes itself more seriously.