Thread: FF9 is getting an animated series!

Default FF9 is getting an animated series!

https://www.ign.com/articles/final-f...ries-announced

A Final Fantasy 9 animated series is currently under development, Kidscreen reports. It will reportedly be co-developed with Square Enix by French studio Cyber Group Studios, with Cyber Group also handling distribution, licensing, and merchandise.
    Episode count and length have not been finalized, Cyber Group Studios CEO Pierre Sissmann says in the report. However, it will be in production by the end of 2021 or the beginning of 2022, and will reportedly be aimed toward children between the ages of eight and 13. According to the report, Cyber Group Studios is currently putting the final touches on the series bible and is getting ready to pitch it to broadcasters.

Cyber Group Studios is a Paris-based developer and distributor of children's television. Its stable includes Mini Ninjas, as well as adaptations of Zorro and Tom Sawyer.

Square Enix social media manager Sunil Godhania corroborated the news in a tweet.

According to Kidscreen, Cyber Group Studios was attracted by Final Fantasy's overall popularity, with more than 154 million copies sold worldwide, and the potential to expand the studio's brand. In the report, Sissmann says the series will be geared toward both fans and series newcomers
    Dunno what to think of this, as from what i've heard the studio involved making some pretty mid shows, also the targeted age demographic is kinda worrying considering the story FFIX is a kinda smurfed up. Still, it's great to so SE giving IX some love, this series could also open the flood gates for a potential remake or sequel, as the original devs have express interest in making one.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

It will be interesting to see what they do with it, but not sure how I feel about it overall. I'll wait until we have something more concrete.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

The target demographic is sound imo. But still, I’ll have to wait and see how it looks before making any judgments

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I agree that the target demographic is a good one. ATLA had a similar target and was wonderfully mature; FFIX's more mature themes can easily fit into a similar market (it is a children's game, after all!).

I suspect it will be garbage, however. xD

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by You've got to be in it to Quin it View Post
    I agree that the target demographic is a good one. ATLA had a similar target and was wonderfully mature; FFIX's more mature themes can easily fit into a similar market (it is a children's game, after all!).

I suspect it will be garbage, however. xD
    sums me up, esp. that last part

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

As I said in my YouTube video. This is the most random ass trout ever. 21 years and IX has gotten nothing and now all of a sudden an animated series is in the works. That studio that's making it has a baby type vibe according to their previous works so I don't expect it to be good.

https://www.cybergroupstudios.com/productions/

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

okay then
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Everything old is new again. As the IP (Intellectual Property) wars continue to rage, I wouldn't be shocked if this is just the beginning. As someone involved in the creative industry, I can tell you first-hand that what developers and studios care about most is: "does it already have an existing audience or can we tie one into it?" No doubt they saw what a big following and marketplace Final Fantasy has and probably decided that FF9 is as good an entry point as any as it mixes the high fantasy with a little more cartoon friendly world: Humans with tails, animals, living dolls, etc.

I will caution only this: no one sets out to make a bad show or movie or game, but when too many cooks get involved, you often are left with bland and safe versus quirky and extraordinary. We shall see what this ends up being.

Take care all.