Thread: Mana-palooza

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Chocobo Mana-palooza

Well SE just did a livestream for the Mana series in celebration of the series anniversary. What you wouldn't expect is for them to announce a bunch of new products with none of them being remakes/remasters.

Echoes of Mana is a new mobile entry in the series.No gameplay is shown, but the collage at the end has some fans speculating this game will work in the same vein as FF Record Keeper, SaGa Re: Universe, and Dissidia Opera Omni and be a game where you build parties by collecting characters from across the franchise history.

Legend of Mana: The Teardrop Crystal is a new anime series based on the game of the same name. It's unknown if it will be a retelling of the game's stories or something different, but apparently this anime was created because an executive at Warner Bros. Japan was a huge fan of the game. While we have no visuals yet, the new HD remaster opening will likely give people an idea of what the anime could look like.

Finally, SE also announced a new console entry was also in the works though it has yet to receive an official title and is likely still in the planning stages. It seems the revival the series has seen in the last few years may has jump started it again.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I love Secret of Mana and I know that the original SD1 and SD3 are beloved by many. The recent remakes of the earlier games have been decently fun but nothing special and they may show the age of this series' gameplay. I hope these new releases find a way to modernize the series.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Honestly, I've been really happy seeing the series revival. Mana had such a unique setting and vibe to it that it's been super nice to re-experience once again. Sure the genre has evolved, but for me, I don't care for the direction it has evolved to. So playing the old school version has kind of revitalized my love of action rpgs a little bit.

I'm looking forward to what the next new Mana project will be. While the main creators are gone, I appreciate the fact the new team is very passionate about it.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I was playing the SoM remaster just yesterday with the kids. It is a bit of a slog to stand there charging your weapon for several seconds only to whiff on what you were attacking. The magic leveling is also very grindy. I appreciated these more when I was a kid and didn't have many other options.

In Trials of Mana, they updated the gameplay while still keeping that Mana look and feel. I wished there was a little more depth to it, but I don't think they could have done much more without overhauling the entire thing. I also wished they included co-op.

I haven't played the Legends remake (or the original), but I am interested in what they did with it. I do think you can still keep the nostalgic feel of the series while learning from the 2+ decades of game design that occurred after.

What's funny is that when I play the old school action RPGs I appreciate the more modern ones that much more, opposite of you WK. Though the reverse is definitely true for turn-based RPGs.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum